GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

K&N VS stock dyno pull

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/05, 07:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Doug904@November 9, 2005, 10:23 PM
hey guys,

I ran my car on the dyno monday as most know but wasn't able to all it to cool well enough on my final runs to make good power. I was holding off 10-15 minutes between runs because well all know how these 05 react when they get too hot.

I was able to get a stock VS stock K&N dyno run in. 7rwhp and 5 rwtq in stock form and the a/f ratio was almost exactly the same. I can say without a doubt that the K&N is the safest CAI on the market for the dead stock car without a tune.

I'm heading back this weekend to get some results with my tuning but I do have a tune for the K&N now as I see how it reacts.

Thanks, Doug.
Doug
I do not understand the blind loyalty some people have for K&N. Here you in nice words said as tested there was no difference with or without the pipe and it was the safest out there. Must someone be hit in the side of the head with a 2X4 to understand their money would be best spent somewhere else? To me more performance means more air flow requiring more fuel making more power that requires a tune to correct the F/A and bump the time.
I have a great looking throttle body I purchased 389.00 that makes no measurable difference and would be most happy to sell it to K&N loyalist also. I should have waited until one of the top tuners checked it out. The fact may well be that these people cannot afford a tune but feel the must put some part on the car now rather than wail until they have the coins for a good set up from one of the BIG THREE tuners. If this is the case the Loss is surely theirs.
I do have a K&N on my Explorer and do use K&N oil on my JTL filter.
I am appreciative of their sponsorship that in part makes this forum posable.
Old 11/25/05, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

From my understanding, Doug is saying that the K&N without a tune made +7 rwhp and +5 rwtq over the stock air inlet. While this may not be tremendous gains, it is a nice start for us that want to wait before we get a tune (potential warranty issues). For people with a manual transmission, I've read that the gain could be as high as +11 rwhp as tested on a dyno with a stock tune. See post by Brenspeed here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=31795&hl=

I'm glad to hear that the A/F ratios are nearly the same with the K&N. This was a worry for a lot of folks with CAIs and no tune.

I've been pondering what to do for a few months now. I just have 1,000 miles (weekend car) on my '05 and ordered a K&N after a lot of filp-flopping thoughts between JLT, C&L, and the K&N. The K&N is a good start from what I've read from other owners on here and I can always get the tune from Doug when I'm ready. I just want to get a little more run time on the car before I get the tune just to be safe. I don't drag race at the strip or anything just want something that makes the car more responsive and fun to drive. It appears that the K&N is a safe and "baby-step" towards getting a little more power and excitement out of the car.
Old 12/20/05, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Doug904@November 9, 2005, 9:23 PM

I was able to get a stock VS stock K&N dyno run in. 7rwhp and 5 rwtq in stock form and the a/f ratio was almost exactly the same.
Thanks, Doug.
which K&N unit did you test?
this one?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-3523KP
supposed to be good for 8hp

or this one?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-2565
supposed to be good for 15hp

thanks.
btw, did you get around to tuning with a K&N in place?