GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

K & N Cai

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/06, 09:36 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlanier01
I thought the heat shield also acted as a debris-water shield. If you hit a deep puddle with your air-intake not protected you could be looking at hydro-lock. not fun.
I don't think Bill drives in the rain any more than I do. Which is never.
That's what trucks are for.
Old 5/28/06, 10:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karman
I don't think Bill drives in the rain any more than I do. Which is never.
That's what trucks are for.
Again, Karman is correct.
Old 5/28/06, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple questions:

- Any change in MPG with this CAI?
- Is it truly safe to use without a tune? Why is this one different than the ones that require a tune?
Old 5/28/06, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rash
A couple questions:

- Any change in MPG with this CAI?
- Is it truly safe to use without a tune? Why is this one different than the ones that require a tune?
Not sure about the MPG, not a daily driver.

Doesn't require a tune per K&N. click here for more info
Old 5/29/06, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the link, although I've been there before. Still doesn't really explain WHY it doesn't need a tune when others do. I don't want ot put my faith in the opinion of the manufacturer, only to find out later that a tune was really needed. Anyone have any idea how K&N can make this no-tune claim?
Old 5/29/06, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the link, although I've been there before. Still doesn't really explain WHY it doesn't need a tune when others do. I don't want ot put my faith in the opinion of the manufacturer, only to find out later that a tune was really needed. Anyone have any idea how K&N can make this no-tune claim?
You'd rather trust the opinion of some 'expert' here on the forum on whether or not a tune is required rather than the K&N Engineers (who by the way know a thing or two about air filtration)?

Seriously, I've read that custom tuners can tune a K&N CAI, but is not required because the factory tune can still compensate for the additional airflow without the danger of going into a lean condition. Other CAI's (like the C&L) apparently pull alot more air, thus requiring a tune.

Maybe others can chime in on this.
Old 5/29/06, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

I've had mine for over a year now. As for no tune, you do not need it, period. It worked great for me for a year and then I decided to tune it, I just heard too many good things about the tunes. I picked up 1-2 mpg with normal driving before the tune. On long trips to NY and NC I get 27 mpg, that's running about 75-80 mph. After I put the K&N on it made a bit of a difference in throttle response and really makes the car sound better. I can't really explain why it doesn't need a tune, it has something to do with MAF size, distances and airflow, it was in one of the older threads. It's worth the money if you don't want to tune, if you plan on tuning sometime, just do it now, pick up the JLT or C&L with a tuner from Doug at BamaChips! Well worth the money you'll be spending. Hope I helped ya alittle bit. Either way you go you, won't be disapointed.
Old 5/29/06, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the responses. Only thing stoppingme from a tune is that I've heard that the computer adjusts and renders the tune worthless after a few weeks, thus requiring constant re-tuning. Any with opinions on this?
Old 5/29/06, 10:35 PM
GT Member

I had a k&n took it when i nstalled roushchager. Back to the stock box which is a true cai as it takes it's air from inside the fender well. I think all the k&n does is look good . They should call it a hot air intake
Old 5/30/06, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by toolttime
... I think all the k&n does is look good . They should call it a hot air intake
Old 5/30/06, 07:18 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is an educated guess given I have an engineering background and know a little bit about cars.

I'm guessing K&N didn't change the diameter of the area where the mass airflow sensor is located. This means that essentially the velocity there does not change drastically enough to completely throw the readings of the sensor off. The gains in HP probably come mostly from the change in shape and reduction of restriction in the intake downstream, in addition to a conical filter.

As for the engine requiring re-tunes. I haven't seen a deterioration in my performance at all. I think this in an old-wives tale.
Old 5/30/06, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the responses. Only thing stoppingme from a tune is that I've heard that the computer adjusts and renders the tune worthless after a few weeks, thus requiring constant re-tuning. Any with opinions on this?
I think that's completely incorrect...
Old 6/5/06, 10:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I just went through my first tank of fuel and like wtfrag with it on I have gained a lot more time per tank I'd say well over 100 kilometers So I'll fill tomorrow and recheck ! I am happy with it thus far sound/response/ Yippy !