Just Made an Appointment for My Gear Install

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/06, 09:28 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saturday 2/4/2006 10:00 AM
Altered Speed

So far for performance, I have:

C&L Intake/SCT Xcal2 - Hurst Shifter - Pypes O/R H Pipe - Flowmaster American Thunders

I have been debating over suspension mods, gears, or wheels for a while now. I have decided on BMR Suspension (check out there deal on springs), 4.10 FRPP gears, and 18x9/18x10 Deep Dish Bullitts.

Now what order do I get them. Should I make sure I get the springs first before I get the wheels? Should I make sure I have LCAs before I get gears?

My S197 is a daily driver with the occasional drag race. I don't know jack when it comes to suspension. I could just order everything BMR makes, but what do I really need?

So far I've decided on the more dramtic 2" drop springs, the adjustable panhard rod, and the tubular LCAs. Will I need anything else? Do I need the panhard rod? Again, I don't do any road racing...

Thanks a lot guys. I would like to order my parts ASAP.
Old 1/28/06, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

i thought you had the WMS intake I dont know what u should get im a rookie
Old 1/28/06, 09:55 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by goat678@January 28, 2006, 9:55 PM
i thought you had the WMS intake I dont know what u should get im a rookie

I never had the WMS...

You've been a member for 8 months. You are no longer a rookie!!!
Old 1/28/06, 10:06 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you drop your car 2" you really mess up your suspension geometry. If you're going to buy BMR springs, I'd suggest calling Jason at BMR and ask him what suspension parts he suggests to correct this if needed. You might have to get some adjustable arms or something to get your pinion angles set correctly by a shop. I'm no suspension expert either, this is just stuff I read. I know steeda only has a 3/4" drop because they said anything more than that on a stock suspension is bad. Call BMR they will know. I'm a noob on suspensions. I can't drop my car because the bumper would snow plow in the winter.

It doesn't matter what order you put those mods you listed on the car. They are all independent. If you're going to go with a 2" drop it might be a good idea to put the springs in before you get new wheels because those 18X9s might not fit.
Old 1/28/06, 10:12 PM

if you look on BMR's web site, a lot of the different suspension products say stuff like "This mod is recommended for any type of racing and should also be performed if the vehicle is lowered to correct the rear suspension geometry. " or " This makes it necesarry to use an adjustable panhard rod when lowering your vehicle as it allows you to re-center the rear end"

Call BMR
Old 1/28/06, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

IMHO, I would go for looks. These cars are way to nice to be trashed on the 1/4 mile strip. Go buy a old fox body to drag and keep the new one for show. UNLESS you're rich if something goes on it; then by all means go for performance. For me, I had plenty of Mustangs in my time with tons of performance mods in each one of 'em. Now I have a show car with four 1st place trophies to show for it since I bought my car back in April of '05. No matter which way you lean toward, do whatever makes you happy.
Old 1/28/06, 10:22 PM

all show and no go
Old 1/29/06, 01:11 AM
Cobra Member

This is what I would do given your parameters...Go for the gears first, they will really wake your car up and give you seat of the pants enjoyment and will complement your performance mods well... Then I would go with the wheels and tires, they will add to your performance in that you will be able to corner better etc. and will dramatically change your car's appearance. Then lower it if you want...After the wheels and tires are on you might decide to not go so low...2" is a lot IMO. Your suspension mods should be done at the same time that you lower it as Dustin was saying so you can correct your geometry i.e. caster/camber etc...I would definitely recommend the lower control arms and the CHE lower control arm re-location bracket (bolt in model) as well as the adjustable panhard bar, then whatever you need to correct your geometry after lowering...I would lower it 3/4"s to an inch max. Just my 2 cent's, you have a good game plan.

Edit: I would bolt on the adjustable BMR LCA's & CHE relocation brackets before I did the gears then go as stated above...
Old 1/29/06, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by S197 GT@January 28, 2006, 9:31 PM
So far for performance, I have:

C&L Intake/SCT Xcal2 - Hurst Shifter - Pypes O/R H Pipe - Flowmaster American Thunders
I have been debating over suspension mods, gears, or wheels for a while now. I have decided on BMR Suspension (check out there deal on springs), 4.10 FRPP gears, and 18x9/18x10 Deep Dish Bullitts.

Now what order do I get them. Should I make sure I get the springs first before I get the wheels? Should I make sure I have LCAs before I get gears?

My S197 is a daily driver with the occasional drag race. I don't know jack when it comes to suspension. I could just order everything BMR makes, but what do I really need?

So far I've decided on the more dramtic 2" drop springs, the adjustable panhard rod, and the tubular LCAs. Will I need anything else? Do I need the panhard rod? Again, I don't do any road racing...

Thanks a lot guys. I would like to order my parts ASAP.
if not doing it all at once, i would first do the gears. after that, put in the springs and adj panhard rod (necessary with that much drop, trust me! i wish i had done it sooner). you could also throw on the LCAs then, but it is not needed as they just need to go on before going to the track. i recommend getting adj LCAs with polyurathane bushing on one end and rod end on the other, if you go rod ends only there will be a lot of noise.

you will also need caster/camber plates

other helpful mods form BMR include the strut tower brace and LCA relocation bracket.

i also REALLY enjoyed putting on my Eibach sway bars, probly the best dollar/improvement mod out there for handling (280 bucks for front and rear).

once again, id recommend doing the gears, then saving up and doing all the suspension stuff at the same time and having it installed professionally (even tho it seems like its an easy job to do in the driveway...)
Old 1/29/06, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FRPP 4:10 gears and don't look back!
Old 1/29/06, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

It all depends on what you want to do.

If looks are your thing and spring is coming, get those rims ASAP.
Performance, hands down it has to be gears and a tune.

If you can, get the gears, tune and drop at the same time, at least you will have more control of the car with those gears going.
Old 1/29/06, 04:29 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by dustindu4@January 28, 2006, 10:09 PM
If you drop your car 2" you really mess up your suspension geometry. If you're going to buy BMR springs, I'd suggest calling Jason at BMR and ask him what suspension parts he suggests to correct this if needed. You might have to get some adjustable arms or something to get your pinion angles set correctly by a shop. I'm no suspension expert either, this is just stuff I read. I know steeda only has a 3/4" drop because they said anything more than that on a stock suspension is bad. Call BMR they will know. I'm a noob on suspensions. I can't drop my car because the bumper would snow plow in the winter.

It doesn't matter what order you put those mods you listed on the car. They are all independent. If you're going to go with a 2" drop it might be a good idea to put the springs in before you get new wheels because those 18X9s might not fit.

Thanks man! I will give Jason a call. I hope he can shed some light on this for me.

You think the 18x9s won't fit with the more extreme drop? The front is 1.5". I honestly have no idea???

Thanks for the advice man!
Old 1/29/06, 04:32 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by STANG_IT@January 28, 2006, 10:18 PM
IMHO, I would go for looks. These cars are way to nice to be trashed on the 1/4 mile strip. Go buy a old fox body to drag and keep the new one for show. UNLESS you're rich if something goes on it; then by all means go for performance. For me, I had plenty of Mustangs in my time with tons of performance mods in each one of 'em. Now I have a show car with four 1st place trophies to show for it since I bought my car back in April of '05. No matter which way you lean toward, do whatever makes you happy.

I hear what you're saying man, but it's easier said than done. I wish I could just buy another mustang and thrash it. But I want the best of both worlds.

I already wish I had gone all performance at first...

Thanks for the advice, I want to have some trophys too.
Old 1/29/06, 04:35 PM
Cobra Member

I tried to drop mine 2" with 20's and they were like no way.
Old 1/29/06, 04:36 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 29, 2006, 1:14 AM
This is what I would do given your parameters...Go for the gears first, they will really wake your car up and give you seat of the pants enjoyment and will complement your performance mods well... Then I would go with the wheels and tires, they will add to your performance in that you will be able to corner better etc. and will dramatically change your car's appearance. Then lower it if you want...After the wheels and tires are on you might decide to not go so low...2" is a lot IMO. Your suspension mods should be done at the same time that you lower it as Dustin was saying so you can correct your geometry i.e. caster/camber etc...I would definitely recommend the lower control arms and the CHE lower control arm re-location bracket (bolt in model) as well as the adjustable panhard bar, then whatever you need to correct your geometry after lowering...I would lower it 3/4"s to an inch max. Just my 2 cent's, you have a good game plan.

Edit: I would bolt on the adjustable BMR LCA's & CHE relocation brackets before I did the gears then go as stated above...

Thanks man! I've made my mind on the gears now! I will make an appointment on Mondaywhile at work, so my wife doesn't know. I told her that I wouldn't get gears 'til this summer!!!

I will order the LCAs and relocation brackets soon.

I was stoked about lowering it man...but I probably should wait until after the rims.

Thanks alot Justin! I appreciate it!
Old 1/29/06, 04:43 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by stkdidy@January 29, 2006, 2:50 PM
if not doing it all at once, i would first do the gears. after that, put in the springs and adj panhard rod (necessary with that much drop, trust me! i wish i had done it sooner). you could also throw on the LCAs then, but it is not needed as they just need to go on before going to the track. i recommend getting adj LCAs with polyurathane bushing on one end and rod end on the other, if you go rod ends only there will be a lot of noise.

you will also need caster/camber plates

other helpful mods form BMR include the strut tower brace and LCA relocation bracket.

i also REALLY enjoyed putting on my Eibach sway bars, probly the best dollar/improvement mod out there for handling (280 bucks for front and rear).

once again, id recommend doing the gears, then saving up and doing all the suspension stuff at the same time and having it installed professionally (even tho it seems like its an easy job to do in the driveway...)

Thanks for the response man! I wish I could afford to do it all at once!

I wanted your opinion for 2 reasons. What do you think about 4.10s as opposed to 4.30s for my M5 daily driver? Would you drop it that much if you had to do it again?

I will get the gears done first. Unless the UPS guy get's here sooner with the LCAs and brackets.
Old 1/29/06, 04:45 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by GRAYPNY@January 29, 2006, 2:59 PM
FRPP 4:10 gears and don't look back!

Thanks Rich. I figure you'd approve of the gears!!!

I found a shop in the San Jose area that'll do them for under 500 bucks. Parts and Labor! I think it's the same place Cleveland (Dan) got his done.
Old 1/29/06, 04:49 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by Torrence@January 29, 2006, 3:03 PM
It all depends on what you want to do.

If looks are your thing and spring is coming, get those rims ASAP.
Performance, hands down it has to be gears and a tune.

If you can, get the gears, tune and drop at the same time, at least you will have more control of the car with those gears going.
Thanks man! I decided on Go instead of Show!
Old 1/29/06, 04:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by STANG_IT@January 28, 2006, 9:18 PM
+1
Old 1/29/06, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by STANG_IT@January 28, 2006, 9:18 PM
I just don't agree with the above statement, no offense but I just feel differently...It's all about maintenance. Yes these car's are nice but if modified properly and taken care of, weekend track visits will not destroy them. It would also depend how one drives them too I guess i.e doing brake stands instead of installing line lock's etc. IMO driving them daily is more abusive to them or any vehicle for that matter, stop and go driving, increased accident potentials and parking lot horrors... I guess it boils down to common sense and proper care and maintenance. I have won my share of car shows but her primary role in life is to enjoy driving and win races... You can have both if you take the time to do things right and do your PM's...

Quick Reply: Just Made an Appointment for My Gear Install