GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT Oil Separator Install

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/11, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad i'm not the only one then... and glad it doesn't cause any damage.

I did have the whitish gunk in the oil separator... Some sort of Oil/water emulsion? But none on the dipstick. I had an oil change today- and nothing was brought up as a concerns and everything checked out.

Condensation I guess? Not sure how else it forms. Is it due to the metal catch can? or would a build up still take place on the inside of the stock piece too?

Edit:
Found these threads:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...y-oil-cap.html
http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...ir-filter.html

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 2/8/11 at 09:21 PM.
Old 2/9/11, 04:22 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Glad i'm not the only one then... and glad it doesn't cause any damage.

I did have the whitish gunk in the oil separator... Some sort of Oil/water emulsion? But none on the dipstick. I had an oil change today- and nothing was brought up as a concerns and everything checked out.

Condensation I guess? Not sure how else it forms. Is it due to the metal catch can? or would a build up still take place on the inside of the stock piece too?

Edit:
Found these threads:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...y-oil-cap.html
http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...ir-filter.html
Good info. I would think that the condensation is from inside the engine. And the stock tube would just dump it into the intake.
Old 2/11/11, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sigh ... yet another mod I need. When does this addiction end?
Old 2/11/11, 08:02 AM
V6 Member

Hey, joined up just to post a quick thanks for this thread. I recently had my DR Cams installed and started having some idle issued. Called Brenspeed and they recommended getting this JLT Oil Seperator. I had no clue what one was, where it went, or how to install it. Now I know all of that. Ordered mine off eBay since JLT is back ordered.
Old 2/11/11, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07vistavert
Never....
Old 2/12/11, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 07vistavert
Originally Posted by Everett
Never....
Never, isn't that the truth. An interesting and expensive hobby we have, but I guess it keeps us off the street because our cars are always in garages on jack stands! I ordered my JLT Oil Separator, just waiting for it to arrive.
Old 2/25/11, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I went to BBR to get my revised tuned, and Chris had them in stock. 110$

Picked up a black one, had to modify it a bit to fit my setup, (running a SS/C from Saleen) but works like a charm. When I do my engine dress up, I will get some steel bradded lines to make it look perty under there.
Old 2/25/11, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
I went to BBR to get my revised tuned, and Chris had them in stock. 110$

Picked up a black one, had to modify it a bit to fit my setup, (running a SS/C from Saleen) but works like a charm. When I do my engine dress up, I will get some steel bradded lines to make it look perty under there.
How did you get yours to fit? Did you have to buy some hoses/clips? I am thinking of getting one as well.....and in the future I will be getting a Saleen Super Shaker too
Old 3/13/11, 01:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I actually had this happen too.

........ must have been a fluke of condensation.
Just an FYI. I had this happen again and I figured out the pattern.

Both times I captured some condensation in the sep were after long 30+ minute drives where the engine had plenty of time to get warm.

But with both times, the night before, the engine had only been run about 4 or 5 minutes and never came up to temp. I was at my neighbors for a beer and then drove home a few minutes and parked. Freezing temps outside.

So there's nothing wrong with the engine or the sep. It just goes to show how much moisture stays in your engine if you don't get it good and warm up to operating temp.
Old 3/13/11, 03:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have had a seperator on my car for years and they truly work. I made up a system with a Stef's seperator and some fittings and hoses. I ordered one these because it is so seemless and mine just seems very prehistoric now.

Good work Tucker and thanks for reminding us about the TMS5% discount. $113.05 shipped.
Old 3/14/11, 12:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, this is a very nice piece. Looks very OEM like. Will probably order one later as well.
Old 3/14/11, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
How did you get yours to fit? Did you have to buy some hoses/clips? I am thinking of getting one as well.....and in the future I will be getting a Saleen Super Shaker too
Had to modify the hose leading into the Shaker in the rear. basically did a refit to that hose, and it sits just above the valve covers. Does not look bad. I plan on getting some perty braided lines once I start my engine dress up project.

I will try to post a pick up. I purchased the black one.
Old 3/16/11, 04:55 PM
GT Member

Installed my black one yesterday looks great, haven't checked it yet but haven't driven much either. Ordered a Roush 2.3L TVS kit this week to so I'll have to modify it to make it fit once I install the SC
Old 3/17/11, 05:52 AM

whipple install

Just bought the JLT basic kit (just the can, no hoses or fittings) as the full kit doesn't work with a Whipple. Anyone craft an install with a Whipple? How did you do it and what fittings etc. did you use?
Old 3/18/11, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Just installed my seperator. Its way too easy of an install. I let my 5 year old it in after i took the old hose out.
Attached Images   
Old 3/18/11, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I was told bt ford not to use this. They say the reason that oil is allowed to get through is so the intake valves can be oiled and cooled. Ford is saying that if i run this they can guarentee that i will fry my valves. Im sure plenty if people are running this seperator. Im just curious if anybody else has head of this. For is saying that if i dont have a supercharger or turbo then i dont need this.
Old 3/18/11, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtpony325
I was told bt ford not to use this. They say the reason that oil is allowed to get through is so the intake valves can be oiled and cooled. Ford is saying that if i run this they can guarentee that i will fry my valves. Im sure plenty if people are running this seperator. Im just curious if anybody else has head of this. For is saying that if i dont have a supercharger or turbo then i dont need this.
??

It vents the pressure in the engine so oil is not blown into the atmosphere. It's an emissions thing. Oil on the valves burns and increases emissions.

I'd say that the gunk that builds up on the valves and intake will fry the motor faster. Carbon creates hot spots.

Sounds like BS to me but I've been wrong before.

Last edited by 825LTRGT; 3/18/11 at 05:40 PM.
Old 3/18/11, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I have been wrong before too. I am really skeptical about the motor blowing up because the oil is not being blown in there. There are a ton of people running this and other seperators with no issue at all.
Old 3/18/11, 06:30 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Gtpony325

Here's the butterflies after just 13k on a 4.6. Imagine how much carbon gets caked & baked on the intake, ports & valve stems. Not to mention on the pistons and cylinder head leading to detonation problems.

The Lightning race shop I got my separator from has had numerous conversations with Ford about this on the 4.6 and its lack of a PCV valve, and upper cylinder lubrication was never mentioned as part of the (alleged) design. I'll stick with the separator thank you.

Plus - if a sep is OK for supercharged engines, what about their upper cylinder lubrication?? Makes no sense. I call

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/18/11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 3/18/11, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I called bs on them too. I pointed out the same fact that if they said that they were for a supercharger they should work with naturally aspirated. Im not going to take mine off i like the way it looks and its functional.

Quick Reply: JLT Oil Separator Install