GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT Oil Separator Install

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/10, 02:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Some guys have gone open breather filters and put them on both left and right cam covers. Personally I don't want to be stuck in traffic in hot weather smelling those fumes thru the window or thru the AC, so I stick with a separator - on the PCV tube.

Haven't noticed any smell at all. I do have to change out the filters at about 500/600 miles tho. But I was getting oil blowing by even with the separator, so deleting was my preference.
Old 6/14/10, 08:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered mine today from JLT- the black anodized one.
On average, how often do these fill up?
Like would a once a week check be sufficient? I drive ~300 miles/week.
Old 6/14/10, 09:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I just recently got the Moroso one , it looks to be about the same size as the JLT , and I'm figuring to be able to go between oil changes with it. I had the small plastic Steeda one on before and I checked it every week which is about 250 miles for me and it would collect about 2 teaspoons over that period. Assuming this one collects about the same amount it should easily hold several ounces that would accumulate between changes ...

Last edited by 05YellowGT; 6/15/10 at 05:18 AM.
Old 6/14/10, 08:41 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Just installed mine today. I painted the "JLT" to add some color to the whole scene. Somewhat crappy pics (indoor shot), but oh well...

Old 6/15/10, 05:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I really have to say I like this JLT unit and if I hadn't just gotten the Moroso one and was still deciding I would probably have gone with it. It's well thought out and cheaper than the Moroso too ...
Old 6/15/10, 09:16 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Ordered mine today from JLT- the black anodized one.
On average, how often do these fill up?
Like would a once a week check be sufficient? I drive ~300 miles/week.
JLT recommends checking it every 1000 miles. I will wait to see how much collects in 1000 miles but after 60 miles there is already about a teaspoon of oil in it, yea I checked it already.
Old 6/17/10, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
JLT recommends checking it every 1000 miles. I will wait to see how much collects in 1000 miles but after 60 miles there is already about a teaspoon of oil in it, yea I checked it already.
We say 1000 because it hold over 2oz of fluid, but heck, I checked it every few miles when I was testing it
Glad it's working already!!

Thanks
Jay
Old 6/17/10, 08:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Got mine in! And am very pleased with it, very solid piece. In my update page: https://themustangsource.com/f783/my...479487/index2/ I give credit to this thread

Old 2/4/11, 11:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Mine seems to have filled with gas / water solution? Note sure.
It was to the brim, is this something to worry about?

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 2/4/11 at 11:57 PM.
Old 2/5/11, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Gas? I don't see how thats possible, it's the oiling system.

Also being filled to the top is not normal either. You got something going.
Old 2/5/11, 11:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Tucker
Gas? I don't see how thats possible, it's the oiling system.

Also being filled to the top is not normal either. You got something going.
That's what I'm saying, it was a transparent and a very "fluid"- if you will- liquid.

Not sure what to even begin to look at. The car runs fine, no engine lights and no performance decline. Nothing out of the ordinary- except a high pitch whine at like 2k rpm which comes and goes- but I believe it's the coil over plug, as it fits the description...

Thanks, I'll have to get an oil change at the very least to see what's up.

Edit: being winter and such, could condensation build in the inside? Or water seep in around the edges- the grease that was on the threads is gone...

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 2/5/11 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2/6/11, 12:43 AM

sounds like condensation to me. had the car been sitting for more than a week?

any links for breathers? they just seem easier.

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Here is a thought for you. Wondering is this blowby oil in the intake could explain the startup blue smoke that we all have experienced sometimes with our S-197 V-8 engines? I like this unit!! CalStang
only happens to me if i move the car and don't get it to NOT (normal operating temp) then start it later cold.
i'v gotten in the habit of letting it warm up. can't let the neighbors see my baby smoking!
Old 2/6/11, 09:14 PM
Dez
GT Member

that's the kind of seperator i've been looking for... that looks perfect! Ordered me one =)
Old 2/7/11, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Edit: being winter and such, could condensation build in the inside? Or water seep in around the edges- the grease that was on the threads is gone...
With the O ring water can't get in and no, it wouldn't be condensation. The tank holds 2 oz of fluid, that's a lot. I would change the oil and look at the old oil for water or gas in it.
Originally Posted by impetus maximus
any links for breathers? they just seem easier.
Easier then a 10 second install? The hose is ready to go out of the box. 2 clips and your done.
With the amount of oil being collected breather would need to be changed often or risk the oil smell or drip.
Originally Posted by Dez
that's the kind of seperator i've been looking for... that looks perfect! Ordered me one =)
Thanks

Jay

Last edited by Tucker; 2/7/11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2/7/11, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

any tax time sales coming up mr tucker?
Old 2/7/11, 11:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Use code TMS5% for a discount anytime
Old 2/7/11, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Anthony k
any tax time sales coming up mr tucker?
Tax time usually means you have more money, so why would he have to put stuff on sale?
Old 2/7/11, 12:12 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's what I'm saying, it was a transparent and a very "fluid"- if you will- liquid.
... being winter and such, could condensation build in the inside? ...
I actually had this happen too.

My winter car is a 4V 4 banger and I recently put a sep from BKU Motorsports on it (clear bowl). I do let the car sit a lot as I only head into town about once every week or two, and it had been very cold and snowy during December. The first dump looked normal and was about half full from one tank of gas. The car is still new with only 2300 on it so I'm still learning about it. Only have about 1400 mi. since the first oil change.

I drove to the doctors (30 miles) and I thought I smelled hot rubber. Wasn't sure if the smell was from the engine so after I parked I popped the hood. The sep was about 1/3 filled with a clear liquid - rather than the dark oily mixture I usually get (have the same set up on my Bullitt). Looked like water. I checked the oil and it smelled and looked fine - and there was no whitish goo on the top of the dipstick that can sometimes form from condensation.

When I got home I checked it again and it was dark oily looking like it should. The next morning there was no sign of condensation on the dip stick and I drained the bowl. I have not had any further signs of clear liquid in the bowl.

It sounds, runs, drives great so.... must have been a fluke of condensation.
Old 2/7/11, 03:50 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm glad i found this Thread. I have a 11 V-6 with 4,200 miles on it. I installed a JLT catch can a month or so ago. I drove a hundred faster than normal (for me) miles to see if it would collect any blow-by crap. It had a small amount of oil (same color as on the dipstick) in it, i was happy it was working. I cleaned it out and was going to check it in around a month. I might not drive my Mustang for two or three days at a time and even then it might be only 15 miles.

After reading this Thread and driving a couple hundred miles since i first checked and cleaned it, i checked it today. I now have a table spoon full of watery, gray looking crap in it. I checked the oil on the dipstick, it was normal with no bubbles or anything. So i guess its safe to say there is some condensation going on.

If it wasn't for this Thread, i would be freaking out .
Old 2/8/11, 07:56 AM
Dez
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tucker
Use code TMS5% for a discount anytime
now u tell me

Quick Reply: JLT Oil Separator Install