GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

THE JLT FILTER FALLING OFF PROBLEM...

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/05, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use Loctite/Permatex on screws that come loose

I got some for $6 at Pepboys (#242 Blue medium strength formula).

After torquing down the clamp screws and MAF screws, I have not had a problem.
Old 6/6/05, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 6, 2005, 10:29 AM
i know that all these preventative measures can be taken to help ensure the filter does not fall off but in all honesty, as bad as it sounds, we shouldnt have to do anything. We all paid 150 bucks for the piece itself (not counting tune etc...). This product is on the market competing with other, similar products and there is no reason we should be doing this kind of stuff when there are other options on the market.
I am completely satisfied with a $150.00 piece vs. steeda for $260.00 and C&L for $350.00. Even if it takes a small screw or hairspray it's still alot cheaper than the other competitors.
Old 6/6/05, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

I havent had an issue with anything JLT but I could see how people are having issues though. IMO, its all how tight the clamps and screws are. Even if you claim that you tightened it just right and it still fell off I highly doubt you did it correctly since only a few have even experienced the problem out of the whole lot.

-Dan
Old 6/6/05, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

500 HARD driven miles and NO issues yet. Followed the directions.
keep up the good work Jay.
Excellent product and great service.
I wish everything I bought for my 05 was back by a guy like you.

:bang: for those few of you that are banging your head aganst the wall........
It is a brand new product with less than 100 units sold.
You have to at least be a little flexable and be willing to experiment a little.
If you can't fix a little problem like this under the hood, then just stay in the drivers seat and drive your car stock :nono:

My two cents

Gus from Chicago

Oh Yeah ! that Brent guy from DTP Racing is another great guy to deal with.
Old 6/6/05, 10:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@June 6, 2005, 1:57 PM
I havent had an issue with anything JLT but I could see how people are having issues though. IMO, its all how tight the clamps and screws are. Even if you claim that you tightened it just right and it still fell off I highly doubt you did it correctly since only a few have even experienced the problem out of the whole lot.

-Dan
Thats an idiotic statement. Tightening a clamp is not akin to sending men to the moon. I have done just what Jay said and my filter still came off. I am going to use screws to secure it. Your experience with your intake cannot be extrapolated to others.
Old 6/6/05, 10:35 PM

I don't car if that apparatus was $10. Too much for me! If that's really the case, you all should have followed George (Blazing Saddles) instructions on making your own CAI. He did all the leg work and has a functional, BS free CAI. Atleast he doesn't have to go back and do patch work. Some things just are not worth the aggravation.
In my business, if you have a product with this many issue, your done. The least a company with this kind of issues can do is correct the issues and exchange a new, improved product with the defective one. I've seen this same thread on a few different forums and it don't take long for word to get around. You can be supportive of the product all you want because you may feel bad for a guy trying to make it, but having this many issues should be resolved in a different manner then sending the customers to Home Depot or their local hobby store to correct the issues.
Old 6/6/05, 10:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by INTRUDER@June 6, 2005, 10:30 PM
500 HARD driven miles and NO issues yet. Followed the directions.
keep up the good work Jay.
Excellent product and great service.
I wish everything I bought for my 05 was back by a guy like you.

:bang: for those few of you that are banging your head aganst the wall........
It is a brand new product with less than 100 units sold.
You have to at least be a little flexable and be willing to experiment a little.
If you can't fix a little problem like this under the hood, then just stay in the drivers seat and drive your car stock :nono:

My two cents

Gus from Chicago

Oh Yeah ! that Brent guy from DTP Racing is another great guy to deal with.
I don't have a problem with a new product and having to adjust/modify. I consider it a challenge and fun. What I don't like is your two cents with the finger wagging. Keep it to yourself. I will continue to modify my car and have certain expectations from those that I deal with.
Old 6/6/05, 10:41 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,190 Likes on 2,337 Posts
Ford has Some Really Stout Spring Loaded clamps used on the POWERSTROKE Turbo Pipes. If you give me the OD you need I can Probably Get You Some Part Numbers. I will Post a Pic if I have any on the Shelf Tommorrow!

kc
Old 6/6/05, 10:47 PM
V6 Member

id be interested in the spring loaded clamps just to have... sound like something i might use for some project later on.. PN please
Old 6/6/05, 11:01 PM
Cobra R Member

I put the self tapping screw in mine and it has not fallen off. Yes Jay is correct about the plastic getting solf but I'll bet if he started using filters without the ridges inside or made the small pipe longer.the problem would go away on this application. I also glued a small piece of foam on the small end of the filter where it hits the fender. No longer sounds like a woodpecker in there

Heads up.
Jay very kindly sent me the new heat shield and I installed it. On my car. The bottom side next to the engine rubs the lower radiator hose and the outside touched the brake line and could rub a hole in it. Get a flashlight and check your out. This could be a safety issue if it did rub a hole. I corrected mine by trimming 1/4 inch off each side of that section. You will see what I mean when you look at yours. All cars not being the same yours might not need this.

Not talkin trash here at all . Have cleaned up my act. Just a heads up!!!

TIP If you do install the screw like I have the clamp is stainless and tough so do not even think about using those cheap drills from overseas. You know where.
Same place Ford speakers came from.
Old 6/7/05, 02:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I certainly will be interested in the ford racing cold air intake kit, and there strut brace they have advertised on there site, but not available yet, so if you get any info on that kevin please let us know.
Old 6/7/05, 04:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is not a big deal. Yes, a few people are having trouble with it. But I think the performance increase per dollar spent is still much better than any kit on the market. And since the majority are not having trouble with it, it is preventable.

I did a little extra prep to mine more than most people, but I do that to EVERY mod I do. Check out how I put on the Mustang spinner caps, just to make them a little more theft resistant. You don't see me calling up Ford, complaigning that they made the spinners to easy to steal. I just do my own mods, and enjoy working on and having fun with the car.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...775&hl=spinners

I don't even want to go into the Dynomat, foam, and weatherstripping I put in the doors to keep them from rattling when I put in new speakers.
Old 6/7/05, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GbNNP@June 6, 2005, 11:38 PM
I don't have a problem with a new product and having to adjust/modify. I consider it a challenge and fun. What I don't like is your two cents with the finger wagging. Keep it to yourself. I will continue to modify my car and have certain expectations from those that I deal with.

If you can adjust/modify your car then this post was not directed towards you.

If you thought for some odd reason it was then your mistaken. my two cents :nono:
Old 6/8/05, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Oops...might of put this in the wrong post earlier...
Well I'm trying not to add any fuel to the fire but this did happen to me and my wife in the past. My wife was trying to merge on the freeway when it went into "safe" mode. Consequently, I had to go out there because she had no idea what was going on nor was I comfortable her driving it anymore (before I really new what "safe" mode was). To sum it all up yes it was the JLT filter. It happened twice before I finally found a cure. Here was my fix...

1. sanded and grooved pipe on end where filter attaches
2. used rubbing alcohol and hairspray when applying filter
3. DID NOT overtighten the clamp

In short my fix has worked ok - only time will tell. I love the JLT because of the price (at least half price compared to some) and the power (proven more hp gain than any other CAI). Let's not get discouraged over some minor glitches.

I must say - I think Jay has done a great job trying to remedy the problems.
As stated, a lot of companies have experienced some problems as well. Steeda sport springs, MMR (CEL problems), Magnaflow pipe problems (passenger side too short), Bassini x-pipe ( O2 senor mount too far), RK Sport hoods (not fitting correctly), C&L predator tunes (poor throttle response), Predator 93 octane tunes (poor throttle response)...I sure everyone has a list of products that have had there troubles.

Let's stick together and use each other as good resources. I really like the bracket idea. Blazing Saddles bracket was innovative but I also like 2005RedGT's (Bryan) fix. Only I would like to figure out a small bracket to use while still being able to utilize the heat shield. Check out Bryan's...
[attachmentid=23626]

Cheers_Jay
Old 6/8/05, 11:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@June 8, 2005, 9:34 AM
I've been into performance cars for over 30 years now. I would say at least half of the products I've bought over these years has needed some tweaking to either get them to fit or work properly.

I had one occasion where my own filter fell off. I didn't have the filter down far enough on the MAF housing, and this happened useing the bracket I made. I moved it down another 1/4" and it hasn't fallen off since then.
Wow, that post has really come in handy hasnt it?
Old 6/8/05, 03:34 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by INTRUDER@June 7, 2005, 10:44 PM
If you can adjust/modify your car then this post was not directed towards you.

If you thought for some odd reason it was then your mistaken. my two cents :nono:

The problem is not who it was directed at, its just a stupid statement. All the 2 cents and wagging fingers won't change that.
Old 6/14/05, 06:22 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally posted by 05stangkc@June 6, 2005, 8:44 PM
Ford has Some Really Stout Spring Loaded clamps used on the POWERSTROKE Turbo Pipes. If you give me the OD you need I can Probably Get You Some Part Numbers. I will Post a Pic if I have any on the Shelf Tommorrow!

kc
If This Clamp don't Hold it on Nothing will!

[attachmentid=24493][attachmentid=24494]
Old 6/14/05, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess attachmentid=24493 is a pretty strong clamp along with attachmentid=24494??? J/K....atachey no workie...
Old 6/14/05, 07:22 PM
The Analog Admin!

I fix!

kc

Quick Reply: THE JLT FILTER FALLING OFF PROBLEM...