GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

THE JLT FILTER FALLING OFF PROBLEM...

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/05, 09:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen ya'll, the fact that the filter on the JLT keeps falling off is a non-excusable problem... i was driving today and while on the freeway, i throw a CEL and my who car locks up and i have to coast onto the shoulder to pop the hood and duct tape my filter back on (i didnt have a screwdriver handy). now while some may think this isnt a problem... it absolutely is! Im not bashing your product jay as i think it is a nice lookign unit and seems to make good power in conjunction with a tune but you need to make some sort of modification to the design and also help those of us with this problem out a little bit more than telling us to use rubbing alcohol and hairspray. I bought your unit because the one on my 03 cobra is awesome but i am a little dissapointed with this one. Sorry to rant but i almost killed my buddy today when i lifted my hood and he made some smart hiney comment.
Old 6/5/05, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had mine on for over 1000 miles (including a 3 day spirited road trip over the Memorial day weekend, and 12 runs at the drag strip) and mine has not loosened 1 bit

You do know that overtightening a clamp is as bad as under tightening, right?
Old 6/5/05, 09:40 PM
V6 Member

i do understand the issues with tightening... and i havent over or under tightened... the filter if suspended and its weight along would cause it to fall... there needs to be somethign to prop it
Old 6/5/05, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

That's funny!!!
Old 6/5/05, 09:59 PM
V6 Member

whats funny?
Old 6/5/05, 10:28 PM
GT Member

You are right Mrericpm, this is not an issue with the clamp being over tightened. There is not enough connection between the filter and pipe. Mine has fallen off 4 times. The last trick was a new clamp and hairspray. The next time will be screws. Something needs to be done with this because I don't like having to keep a mini tool kit in my trunk in case the filter pops off.
Old 6/5/05, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine has fallen off many times too.
Old 6/5/05, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe you guys should use some grade 8 bolts and nuts, rivets, safety wire, and elmers glue
Old 6/5/05, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is what I did folks.

Tighten the clamps as hard as you can w/o breaking clamp or the tube.

In one week recheck - i think the tube itself shrinks a little due to heat and pressure.

Retighten again as hard as you can.

That did the trick for me.

No hair spray :-)
Old 6/6/05, 02:39 AM
Cobra R Member

My C&L is looking better and better.

I am curious if any engine damage is possible when this happens though? I guess if you are in a very dusty environment when this happens it would not be good.
Old 6/6/05, 04:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

C & L stands for what?? What's the name of this cold air intake company?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the company. Sorry!
Old 6/6/05, 06:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Had my JLT on for a month now, and even went to the track, no problems at all.
Old 6/6/05, 06:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been to the track as well and mine has not fallen off. Mine is not suspended though. I have mine resting on the fender well. I have a piece of foam protecting the paint from being rubbed off (and to keep it from vibrating). And have not had a problem yet.
Old 6/6/05, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine is rock solid after cleaning the pipe and inner rubber area on the filter with rubbing alcohol.
Old 6/6/05, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

No problem with my JLT here, but I took several measures, just to make sure:

Dremel sanded paint off ends of pipe to get rougher connecting surface.
Alcohol wiped all connecting surfaces.
Small amount of 3M spray adhesive to connecting surface of pipe let it dry overnight, get's it tacky.
Locktite an all screws, not over tightened, but just enough.
Felt on edge of cone filter, resting on fender well.
Moleskin and 3M Invisiguard on resting surface, pipe rests on UPR powersteering cap cover.

This is not a lot of prep, took maybe 5 minutes. No more work than cleaning off an old gasket and sealer and applying a new one on a valve cover. Just a little assembly prep.

Like I said, no problems here, and I love the JLT!
Old 6/6/05, 08:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lil felt on the edge for the fender rest. The end of the filter does not touch the fender well, like it looks in this picture, just the bottom of the cone.
Old 6/6/05, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Yikes.....Filters falling off...Hairspray, felt, 3M adhesive, locktite....whats next? Kind of scary stuff here just to fix a problem on a brand new piece of gear. I am looking for a CAI myself and the JLT is an option I would like to explore, but I am hesitant to do so because of the problems that keep popping up. I hope Jay is working on a fix. He's got a good piece here and needs to tweak it a bit to make it great.
Old 6/6/05, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

i know that all these preventative measures can be taken to help ensure the filter does not fall off but in all honesty, as bad as it sounds, we shouldnt have to do anything. We all paid 150 bucks for the piece itself (not counting tune etc...). This product is on the market competing with other, similar products and there is no reason we should be doing this kind of stuff when there are other options on the market.
Old 6/6/05, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 6, 2005, 11:29 AM
i know that all these preventative measures can be taken to help ensure the filter does not fall off but in all honesty, as bad as it sounds, we shouldnt have to do anything. We all paid 150 bucks for the piece itself (not counting tune etc...). This product is on the market competing with other, similar products and there is no reason we should be doing this kind of stuff when there are other options on the market.
You are absolutly right, but I am glad to hear that so many are not having the problem.
I have addressed it in the previous post and will reiderate again.

Overtightening any clamp, espesially on plastic is worse then under tightening. With all the added pressure and heat the plastic will soften, causing the clamp to become loose.

A simple and easy permanent fix is a small s.s. screw through the clamp on the filter. It can be placed on the bottom where it's not seen or anywhere it will help. 1 is all that is needed.
I am looking into a better fix, but I do believe cleaning the flange with thinner is the best fix. Please keep in mind, JLT is approching 100 05 GT kits sold and there seems to be only a hand full having this issue. I'm here and will do what I can to solve it.
Jay
Old 6/6/05, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had problems with my MAF coming loose and my filter falling off. And, you want me to go spend money and time to fix it. I think with these problems you should offer a free exchange with the product fixed. Is there a warranty?

Quick Reply: THE JLT FILTER FALLING OFF PROBLEM...