GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT CAI and Predator tune

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/05, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by NickDiabloSport@April 6, 2005, 3:19 PM
I personally have not heard this, but will look into it.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport National Sales Manager
Thanks - and thanks for coming on the forums. To date, every question I've asked of Diablosport has been answered. You guys are sadly in a minority in that you seem to have a healthy respect for customer service.

:edit:

Page 2 of the manual, 'Installing the Performance Tune' chapter, the following para appears -

If you are satisfied with your factory tuned vehicle
and only have a desire to modify a parameter or two
(example: change gear ratio), you might want to read the
chapter ‘Customizing the Factory Tune’.

I could not find the chapter 'Customizing the Factory Tune'.

Since gears are a change I am to make, I went looking for the chapter, but couldn't find it.

:edit2:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread there, guys.
Old 4/6/05, 03:58 PM

Not at all, the issue is making and maintaining calibrations for all the manufacturers is a ton of work and takes allot of R&D time. There would be too much mixing and trying to make hay, by customers.

The risk involved and the time to keep calibrations and updates available just makes it impossible to do. We would never be able to keep up with the normal work, Predator and Predator calibration development work, we do a daily basis.

The Steeda calibrations are set up to work with 91 Octane fuel, 50 state set up.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
Old 4/6/05, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by celticstanger@April 6, 2005, 3:10 PM
Nick, I think there's a chapter missing in the new Predator manual. Have you guys heard this before? It's mentioned in the manual (how to customise a tune for gears), but the chapter itself aint there.
You go in the predator menu and change it there. It has no 4;10 but 4:09 is close enough. I must agree that manual is not the greatest but then one where you have to read between the lines never is. I don't know why Jay can't send them his system and have them work it up.

NO JAY I am not the only one unhappy about it but when I'm female ******* no one else feels the need to hop in the pool. Your answer to me is not satisfactory so others feel the same way. A person can run an easy 16 dyno runs in a day with one car. Your guys don't seem to manage two a day or less.
You are a one man shop and pissin and moanimg about all you have to do. Do they just have a two man Hot Rod shop?
Tells bells man send your system to Florida. After all you are a predator dealer are you not?
With a good product and a good tune NO ONE would be female ******* and you might even be happy with all the people off your hass.
Old 4/6/05, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

"Not at all, the issue is making and maintaining calibrations for all the manufacturers is a ton of work and takes allot of R&D time."

so several specific CAI tunes on your site it is not too much to ask, but it really is too much to ask?

I would say (a guess) there are probably about 10 popular CAI's out there for an 05 mustang at this point. and the predator seems to support 2 of them. I chose the predator over the sct xcalibrator because of it's versatility. I have to drive a few hours to get to the nearest predator dealer that has a dyno, plus pay 100 buck per hour to get the dyno work done and tune it. I bought a Mac cold air intake because I just figures that diablosport would make a tune for it that I could download. I gues I was wrong to think that this would work. I will be going back to the stock air intake for fear of damage occuring with the steeda tune.

overall I think the predator is a great product, but the support for plug and play tunes for aftermarket parts without specific dyno tuning just seems to not be there. if all cars are so different why offer any tunes on the device at all?

if you can answer that question there is no reason a baseline tune for certain CAI's should be out of the question.

the CAI mfg's want to sell their CAI's and Diablosport wants to sell Predators...

offer some more canned tunes.

dolphin safe canned tunes?
Old 4/6/05, 05:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The CAI tunes are the responsibility of the manufacturer, not DiabloSport. If you buy a CAI that isn't supported by the Predator, you know better and should pay for a dyno tune. I went with the C&L intake because they spent the time with DiabloSport to come out with a tune for their customers.
Old 4/6/05, 05:21 PM

Not at all, the issue is making and maintaining calibrations for all the manufacturers is a ton of work and takes allot of R&D time. There would be too much mixing and trying to make hay, by customers.

The risk involved and the time to keep calibrations and updates available just makes it impossible to do. We would never be able to keep up with the normal work, Predator and Predator calibration development work we do a daily basis.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
Old 4/6/05, 05:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@April 6, 2005, 4:09 PM
The CAI tunes are the responsibility of the manufacturer, not DiabloSport. If you buy a CAI that isn't supported by the Predator, you know better and should pay for a dyno tune. I went with the C&L intake because they spent the time with DiabloSport to come out with a tune for their customers.
first of all who are you to assume i know better?

I bought the intake before i bought the predator, and decided to buy the predator to take better advantage of the intake and get rid of throttle lag, disable the traction control by default etc.

I agree that the manufacturers should be inclined to work with diablosport, but diablosport should also seek to expand its market share by offering tunes for the most popular, and some unpopular aftermarket bolt ons.

it only seems logical that with such a powerfull edge in usability diablosport would offer a broader base of canned tunes for several applications. Sure R&D will have to do some work, and diablosport may need to team with some mfg's to make it happen, but I was under the impression (not knowing better) that this was the case.

I guess I was wrong.

I will try to "Know better" next time.
Old 4/6/05, 05:31 PM

That’s just an honest answer, we understand your needs, but there are only so many hours in a day.

There will be many different manufacturer specific Predator applications released for 2005 GT in the coming weeks and months, from supercharger to nitros oxide applications they can really add up quick, and we have to manage our time efficiently.

We wish we had time to do every possible combination, and make everyone happy...... but thats why we have CMR dealers.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
Old 4/6/05, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mongoose+April 6, 2005, 5:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ April 6, 2005, 5:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-celticstanger@April 6, 2005, 3:10 PM
Nick, I think there's a chapter missing in the new Predator manual. Have you guys heard this before? It's mentioned in the manual (how to customise a tune for gears), but the chapter itself aint there.
You go in the predator menu and change it there. It has no 4;10 but 4:09 is close enough. I must agree that manual is not the greatest but then one where you have to read between the lines never is. I don't know why Jay can't send them his system and have them work it up.

NO JAY I am not the only one unhappy about it but when I'm female ******* no one else feels the need to hop in the pool. Your answer to me is not satisfactory so others feel the same way. A person can run an easy 16 dyno runs in a day with one car. Your guys don't seem to manage two a day or less.
You are a one man shop and pissin and moanimg about all you have to do. Do they just have a two man Hot Rod shop?
Tells bells man send your system to Florida. After all you are a predator dealer are you not?
With a good product and a good tune NO ONE would be female ******* and you might even be happy with all the people off your hass.
[/b][/quote]
Bill, please go get a custom tune some where.
You are making no sence.
I will not rush a custom tune for you. I need to make sure it's done right and safe because it's my hiney on the line.

Don't worry about my day and what I do. I didn't have the tune when you bought the kit and NEVER gave a date to when I would have it. I did say I "hope" to have it soon. That was, what 2 weeks ago. Get off me.

Are you NOT reading Nicks posts?

He's here to say it's not as easy as it seems. It takes much testing to get them right. It's more then adding 25% fuel, believe me.

We are close, I can tell you all that.

One other thing is Diablo will not just make a file for the JLT. I don't know for sure why, but I think it takes a big company and big money.
I have been contacted by another tuner willing to make a tune file for the JLT for me though. :scratch: Why not Diablo??

So it seems if you want to save some big $ and get a color coded intake, waiting a little longer should be worth it. How long did you wait for your perfect car??

Thanks all
Jay
Old 4/6/05, 06:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by NickDiabloSport@April 6, 2005, 4:34 PM
That’s just an honest answer, we understand your needs, but there are only so many hours in a day.

There will be many different manufacturer specific Predator applications released for 2005 GT in the coming weeks and months, from supercharger to nitros oxide applications they can really add up quick, and we have to manage our time efficiently.

We wish we had time to do every possible combination, and make everyone happy...... but thats why we have CMR dealers.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
point taken, please forgive me because I am very new to the high tech car tweaking scene. Would it not be a good idea to engage some of your CMR dealers and extract some of their findings? this could possibly create a reciprocal line of communication that could lay the groundwork to offering a baseline for common combinations of aftermarket bolt-ons? I am not saying that you arent already doing that either..

I just see enormous potential in this product, and since my background is in computers and technology I have come to expect a certain amount of support for variable hardware. Being new to electronic tuning I dont know the nature of certain things and just assume it must be simple because you make it seem that way.
Old 4/6/05, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Faber@April 6, 2005, 6:26 PM

I bought the intake before i bought the predator, and decided to buy the predator to take better advantage of the intake and get rid of throttle lag, disable the traction control by default etc.

I agree that the manufacturers should be inclined to work with diablosport, but diablosport should also seek to expand its market share by offering tunes for the most popular, and some unpopular aftermarket bolt ons.

it only seems logical that with such a powerfull edge in usability diablosport would offer a broader base of canned tunes for several applications. Sure R&D will have to do some work, and diablosport may need to team with some mfg's to make it happen, but I was under the impression (not knowing better) that this was the case.

I guess I was wrong.

Ask yourself, what is in it for DiabloSport? Nothing. They aren't making any money off of offering these custom tunes. You want a custome tune, take it to one of their dealers and fork over the money for a dyno tune. Otherwise, spend a little extra cash and get a plug and play system. Companies like Steeda and C&L probably spent their own money to dyno tune their respective products using DiabloSports help. It's pretty common knowledge that the 05 GT's require a tune when you install an intake. Certain companies adressed this and offered a tune which was available when their CAI was launched.
Old 4/6/05, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+April 6, 2005, 5:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ April 6, 2005, 5:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Faber@April 6, 2005, 6:26 PM

I guess I was wrong.

Ask yourself, what is in it for DiabloSport? Nothing. They aren't making any money off of offering these custom tunes. You want a custome tune, take it to one of their dealers and fork over the money for a dyno tune. Otherwise, spend a little extra cash and get a plug and play system. Companies like Steeda and C&L probably spent their own money to dyno tune their respective products using DiabloSports help. It's pretty common knowledge that the 05 GT's require a tune when you install an intake. Certain companies adressed this and offered a tune which was available when their CAI was launched.
[/b][/quote]

Whats in it for diablosport? Money! Sales! Paychecks!

you answered your own question when you said it is common knowledge that you need a custom tune when installing a CAI! Well guess who makes the devices that install a custom tune? Diablosport! (among others that in my opinion dont begin to compare with the predator) so it IS in the best interest of Diablosport to support as many combinations of equipment with canned tunes as they can!

think of it this way:

SCT has a box that you basically have to mail back and fourth to your dyno guy to update the tunes etc. this puts the power in the dyno guys hands or the mechanic or whoever...

Diablosport makes a device that has a user interface that is intuative, an eeprom that is flashable, and software that the end user can use to analyse their results. This product just begs to have a set of tunes one can apply. maybe a modular approach where you go to their web site, dial in your bolt ons, and your geographical location possibly humidity etc, and it could spit out a custom tune that would be very close to perfect. all i am saying is if you are going to release a product that the end user has access to and control of, a product with enourmous potential, I think people will assume that you are going to support them in their endeavors to use your product. we are talking about guys who would make their lawn mowers go faster just because it is kinda cool. in this age of computers, and the end users expectation of instant gratification and tweakability you should be willing to give the end user all the tweakability you possibly can.

my bad for thinking that way i guess.

:scratch:
Old 4/6/05, 06:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Faber+April 6, 2005, 7:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faber @ April 6, 2005, 7:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by max2000jp@April 6, 2005, 5:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Faber
@April 6, 2005, 6:26 PM

I guess I was wrong.

Whats in it for diablosport? Money! Sales! Paychecks!

you answered your own question when you said it is common knowledge that you need a custom tune when installing a CAI! Well guess who makes the devices that install a custom tune? Diablosport! (among others that in my opinion dont begin to compare with the predator) so it IS in the best interest of Diablosport to support as many combinations of equipment with canned tunes as they can!

think of it this way:

SCT has a box that you basically have to mail back and fourth to your dyno guy to update the tunes etc. this puts the power in the dyno guys hands or the mechanic or whoever...

Diablosport makes a device that has a user interface that is intuative, an eeprom that is flashable, and software that the end user can use to analyse their results. This product just begs to have a set of tunes one can apply. maybe a modular approach where you go to their web site, dial in your bolt ons, and your geographical location possibly humidity etc, and it could spit out a custom tune that would be very close to perfect. all i am saying is if you are going to release a product that the end user has access to and control of, a product with enourmous potential, I think people will assume that you are going to support them in their endeavors to use your product. we are talking about guys who would make their lawn mowers go faster just because it is kinda cool. in this age of computers, and the end users expectation of instant gratification and tweakability you should be willing to give the end user all the tweakability you possibly can.

my bad for thinking that way i guess.

:scratch:
[/b][/quote]

How is Diablosport making money off of tuning(for free) other peoples CAI systems? Let me answer this, they aren't. Where they make money is selling their Programmers and probably a bit of royalties from their dealers. Again, it is the CAI manufacturers responsibility to dyno tune their products or sell it as is. You guys are complaining to the wrong party.

Anyone can use the Predator to custom tune their cars. You will need two things...A knowledge of the functions and a wideband.
Old 4/6/05, 06:41 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@April 6, 2005, 3:12 PM
Bunch of nonsense
Way out of line Bill. Basically you're upset at someone else for a decision that YOU made. If you don't want to spend a couple of hundred extra bucks to get a custom tune done on your car, you should have waited until he released the product.

We all know what Jay said, and those of us that are considering a JLT/Diablo combo are either waiting until he releases it, or getting custom tunes at a CMR dealer.

Those are your options. pick one.
Old 4/6/05, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SixtySix+April 6, 2005, 7:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SixtySix @ April 6, 2005, 7:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mongoose@April 6, 2005, 3:12 PM
Bunch of nonsense
Way out of line Bill. Basically you're upset at someone else for a decision that YOU made. If you don't want to spend a couple of hundred extra bucks to get a custom tune done on your car, you should have waited until he released the product.

We all know what Jay said, and those of us that are considering a JLT/Diablo combo are either waiting until he releases it, or getting custom tunes at a CMR dealer.

Those are your options. pick one.
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/7/05, 09:07 AM

Hey Guys,
We have a Diablosport tune on a 05 w/ the JLT CAI and initially everything is looking great. We still need to recheck after some driving has been done to make sure nothing changes. Once we know that the tune is perfect, we expect to be able to release it on Tuesday April 12.
Old 4/7/05, 09:29 AM
FR500 Member

And a banana of a different flavor

:banana2:
Old 4/7/05, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

There is a line from a Queen song that describes some folks here: "I want it and I want it now!"

66 your comment about a banana of a different flavor made me think of Queen.
Old 4/7/05, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!1

Now let me blow the dust off my JLT CAI and we'll get started! My baby is ready to breath!

Cheers_Jay
Old 4/7/05, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DTPRACING@April 7, 2005, 9:10 AM
Hey Guys,
We have a Diablosport tune on a 05 w/ the JLT CAI and initially everything is looking great. We still need to recheck after some driving has been done to make sure nothing changes. Once we know that the tune is perfect, we expect to be able to release it on Tuesday April 12.

will you be selling a predator with that tune already in it??

Quick Reply: JLT CAI and Predator tune