GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT CAI and Predator tune

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/05, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your CEL come on? Also the downloadable Steeda tune on the Diablo's website says it's for the "CAI and the Change Motion Plates". What parameters do you suggestion I modify?

I thought about using the C&L tune with some adjustments also. Any suggestions?
Old 3/27/05, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I'd be curious to see if any knew the correct parameter adjustments. I really want to learn how to modify my tunes but like you said it is a little hard without having a hook up on someone with a dyno.

I'd rather wait till Jay from JLT has his custom tune than to pay $100 an hour for someone to try and figure it out.
Old 3/29/05, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George, have you personally done this?
If so please post the results.

But I must say there is a huge difference in the JLT and the Steeda. The Steeda is nothing more then a MAF adaptor and filter. The JLT replaces everything and is much bigger then 87 mm. In my test against the C&L it needed about 15% more fuel then the C&L, meaning it flows much more air then anything out there.

If you have not done this test on the dyno, I would not recommend for people to use a different CAI tune with there JLT.

I, JLT, does not recommend using any can tune on your car. If you must put the JLT on before the Diablo tune is ready, go have it custom tuned at a local dyno shop.

Thanks
Jay
Old 3/29/05, 08:51 PM

I'm curious about something. I haven't seen any comparisons between the JLT and the Steeda CAI. Would it not be a favorable comparison or does Jay work with Steeda in some way or another? Just wondering. I have seen the JLT/C&L comparison all over the different forums, but nothing about the Steeda. Just wondering.
Old 3/30/05, 04:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

George,
Who saw 15:1 with a JLT? I have never been able to make a full pull on the dyno due to the A/F being off the charts. No where near 15:1.

I mean no disrespect, but your giving out informatin on the JLT that is not correct. I don't want customers to think it as easy as adding fuel on there tuner and go.

169stang: No I don't have anything to do with Steeda. I have beat there product on the Cobra and am sure I can on the 05. Just the mear fact it only a aluminum MAF adaptor and a filter much like the MMR (which I have beat a few times) I see it not being a issue.

There has been no comparision beacuse I pay for all my tests out of pocket and can not afford to test every kit.
A local guy just posted his #'s with a custom tune and a Steeda kit, they were like 271 / 280 something close to that. Not very impresive at all.
Old 3/30/05, 07:52 AM
GT Member

So how long until we can get a JLT with a Diablo Tune, Jay?

(chomping at the bit over here)...
Old 3/30/05, 09:31 AM
FR500 Member

Keep Chomping....
Old 3/30/05, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 96vert@March 30, 2005, 9:55 AM
So how long until we can get a JLT with a Diablo Tune, Jay?

(chomping at the bit over here)...
Very soon I hope. I want to get it out as bad as you want it. Sorry for the delay, but I'm "hopeing" for next week.
Jay
Old 3/30/05, 11:19 AM
GT Member

That's cool, I guess getting it right is the most important part. Just can't wait to feel the POWER B)
Old 4/4/05, 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Jay we have heard too many is a few days, next week and whatever. Fact is it is not your shop thats doing the tune at all and I don't think they even had a car untill they purchased the vert. Guys I am going to a tuner shop with mine as I'll be dead waiting on anything out of Jay. I think you should do the same. JUST THE FACTS guys.
Old 4/5/05, 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Mongoose@April 4, 2005, 8:39 PM
Fact is it is not your shop thats doing the tune at all and I don't think they even had a car untill they purchased the vert. Guys I am going to a tuner shop with mine as I'll be dead waiting on anything out of Jay. I think you should do the same. JUST THE FACTS guys.
He has always said that he is not doing the tuning himself. Why is this all of a sudden big news to you, and who cares?

If they did not get a car until they got a vert, how did they tune the SCT version?

Everyone has always had the option to go to a tuner. So if you are complaining on the wait, just go. There is no sense in complaining when it is your own fault for not going to a tuner yourself. Jay will send a CAI kit without a tune.
Old 4/5/05, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@April 4, 2005, 9:39 PM
Jay we have heard too many is a few days, next week and whatever. Fact is it is not your shop thats doing the tune at all and I don't think they even had a car untill they purchased the vert. Guys I am going to a tuner shop with mine as I'll be dead waiting on anything out of Jay. I think you should do the same. JUST THE FACTS guys.
I have explained the situation over and over again. And apologised over and over again for the delay. I'm not sure what your reading, but please go back through the posts.

I have also said everyone is more then welcome to go get dyno tuned. That is why I sell the kit by it self.

Mongoose, you seem to be the only one upset about this, so please get a dyno tune and let us know what happens.

Jay
Old 4/6/05, 02:52 PM

To address the question of custom calibrations specific to a manufacturer’s CAI, we made the Steeda and C&L calibrations on our dyno and worked closely with the manufacturer’s to make them with power, drivability and A/F ratio for these kits and their specific designs and flow characteristics.

Dyno tuning is not needed, but is always a benefit. Running a vehicle on the dyno, looking at A/F and adjusting with the Predator will generally pick up some power. Every vehicle is different, and there is usually some power to be had.

If you’re not using one of these kits, by name, you should not run a calibration for them, or a non-CAI calibration. The results will be a loss of power, poor running vehicle and a SES light condition.

To properly run a CAI other then the manufacturer’s specific, you will need a CMR dealer and have some dyno work done for maximum power and a good safe calibration. Adjusting some one else’s calibration will work, but not to the maximum potential performance, or safety, achievable for your Mustang.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport National Sales Manager
Old 4/6/05, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Nick, I think there's a chapter missing in the new Predator manual. Have you guys heard this before? It's mentioned in the manual (how to customise a tune for gears), but the chapter itself aint there.
Old 4/6/05, 03:16 PM

I personally have not heard this, but will look into it.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport National Sales Manager
Old 4/6/05, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Nick,

Are you going to be working with any other manufacturers CAI's?

I would think that it would be in the best interest of diablosport to offer at least a baseline tune for the most popular products out there (unless of course Steeda, and C&L have greased your palms to keep the competition from competing)

if you look at a MAC straight shot CAI, and a Steeda CAI they look pretty close to identical. I asked the other day if the steeda tune would work ok if used for the mac straight shot, and got an answer that basically said buy a steeda and use the canned tune, or go dyno your car. I understand that all cars are different, but why not offer a tune for other manufacturers CAI's that was "safe" as you put it before and let us tweak them a bit, instead of expecting everyone to just be able to go dyno their car at every whim.

I feel if I spend 400 dollars on a product that touts added performance with aftermarket parts I should get support for more than 2 aftermarket parts.

Is that too much to ask?

oh BTW is the steeda tune an 87, 91, or 93 octane tune?

Quick Reply: JLT CAI and Predator tune