GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/05, 01:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin@July 20, 2005, 3:22 PM
I guess I am stumped. I just don't understand how this thing can create more hp and better gas mileage. Also, if it changes the amount of air flow wouldn't it require a tune since just changing an air filter results in a tune.

it doesn't change the amount of air flow, it drives the air into a funnel or tornado action. The holes of the TB spacer are the same size of the stock TB. No Tune is Required, all you guys are tune crazy! Some parts don't require tunes! This is one of them!
Old 7/20/05, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

OK.... I dread even posting this but I kind of feel I have to.

First off, let me just say that while the spacer sounded enticing, I was skeptical. But I figured what the heck, I would give it a shot just to form my own opinion.

My car:
GT manual. Steeda CAI, Steeda UDPs, C&L Intake tube, custom tune.
Now, after my last visit to the dyno/tuner, while my car had great numbers, I was a bit disappointed in the results. It dynoed at 299.1/309.3. Pretty impressive for just having those three mods. And at WOT it ran like a spanked ape. BUT, normal every day driving, slow acceleration like from a light in traffic, between 2krpm and about 3200rpm it felt like I was pulling a trailer. Almost like an under powered 4 cylinder does when you reach over and turn the A/C on or something. The guy at the dyno shop jacked with it for about 2 hours and could never get that "flat spot" out of it. He logged it, acknoledged that it was there, called Diablo ( they are a Diablo dealer ), and even called Steeda. No one had any ideas that worked. So, I was faced with one of two choices. Drive it the way it was and just ignore it, OR put the stock intake tube back on. Because with the stock tube I did not have that flat spot. I choose to drive it the way it was because the polished C&L intake tube just looked cooler

Anyway, back to the story. So I purchased the Jet Performance Throttle Body Spacer. Figured I would put it on, didn't really expect much if anything from it. And would check it out this coming weekend when I have a 1200 mile road trip to make. See if it at least changed the fuel mileage any. Just finished putting it on about 30 minutes ago. VERY MUCH TO MY SURPRISE that flat spot in the acceleration is COMPLETELY GONE! It just zings effortlessly right through the RPM range without being WOT. Needless to say, I was shocked.

So...does it make a difference. Yes. Without a doubt it makes a difference. I am supposed to get back over to the tuners some time next week if he has the time. When I do, I will do a pull before he starts doing anything to the car. Since I know what it pulled the last time it was there, and the TB spacer is the only thing that has been done to it, it should technically reflect any differences made. Very curious to see the number difference ( if any ) myself.
Old 7/20/05, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok - How a Throttle Body Spacer Works - In a Nutshell....

It has to do with Volumetric Efficiency (VE), which is the actual amount of air and engine can ingest vs. the theoretical maximum. (The theoretical maximum amount is equal to the combined sweep volume of all the cylinders in the engine per revolution)...most modern cars have a VE of around 90%.

So how can you make your VE ratio better? Well if you cool the air before it enters the engine, it becomes more dense, so for the same given volume, that mass of air is greater...hence more air is being ingested.

How does the throttle body spacer help? It creates a longer pathway for the air and fuel to travel before it enters the engine. This allows for more heat dissipation and cooler, denser air to enter the combustion chamber. The denser air in the combustion chamber gives you a bigger explosion, hence more power.

Well that's the theory behind it, whether or not the Jet Power Flo TB Spacer can deliver, I dunno. I'm keeping an open mind about this and will wait for Maverick's and others results at the track...good luck dudes! :drive:
Old 7/20/05, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hawg... any issues with reservoir clearance with the C&L tube?
Old 7/20/05, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by don_w@July 20, 2005, 2:55 PM
hawg... any issues with reservoir clearance with the C&L tube?

Hawg, thanks for the info! I was very skeptical too, but was glad to see maverick's review of it, and the whole writeup was awesome, ill be ordering one hopefully in the next couple of days. I kind of have the same kind of flat or dead spot in my low throttle range, and I am glad to hear that this will probably fix it!
Old 7/20/05, 05:05 PM
FR500 Member

Nice write up, for a carbureted engine.
Old 7/20/05, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wild stray@July 20, 2005, 5:08 PM
Nice write up, for a carureted engine.
? ?
Old 7/20/05, 07:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by racerx@July 20, 2005, 4:46 PM
Ok - How a Throttle Body Spacer Works - In a Nutshell....

How does the throttle body spacer help? It creates a longer pathway for the air and fuel to travel before it enters the engine. This allows for more heat dissipation and cooler, denser air to enter the combustion chamber. The denser air in the combustion chamber gives you a bigger explosion, hence more power.
Not sure about that. Longer pathway, yes. More heat to dissipate? This would mean that the air that is going into your motor from the Cold Air Intake is hotter than the chunk of aluminum bolted to the engine. I doubt it. I'm pretty sure that the TB spacer is going to be warmer than even hot desert air. Not sure how moving air through a hot piece of aluminum is going to cool it off.
Old 7/20/05, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
enough of this topic :bang: . maverick has given enough explanations on this product. stop being cheap bastards and buy it or zip it!!!!! what do you want for less then $100 bucks ...50 hp increase??
Old 7/20/05, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Hatchman@July 20, 2005, 7:24 PM
Not sure about that. Longer pathway, yes. More heat to dissipate? This would mean that the air that is going into your motor from the Cold Air Intake is hotter than the chunk of aluminum bolted to the engine. I doubt it. I'm pretty sure that the TB spacer is going to be warmer than even hot desert air. Not sure how moving air through a hot piece of aluminum is going to cool it off.
Yeah, I hear ya. You'd think it would have fins like a heat sink or something along the spacer body to dissipate the heat. But that's the theory behind how these things work and it did seem to show some significant gains on the Chevy half-ton truck that the guys on "Two Guys Garage" dynoed after they put one in made by Trans-Dapt

I had to look through 3 references to make sense of it

Haven't the carb-engine guys been using spacers for a long time?
Old 7/20/05, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I was a little hesitant on this one but what the heck....I need something else to bolt on and this seem's perfect. I also have a slight flat spot just off idle that my tuner hasn't been able to get rid of. It's not bad and it pull's like a bat out off heck but it could alway's be better! I went ahead and ordered one from RPM outlet, it should be here Saturday. I will throw in a seat of the pant's review and perhap's a dyno as I'm about do for another one.
Old 7/20/05, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hawgman@July 20, 2005, 4:34 PM

First off, let me just say that while the spacer sounded enticing, I was skeptical. But I figured what the heck, I would give it a shot just to form my own opinion.

My car:
GT manual. Steeda CAI, Steeda UDPs, C&L Intake tube, custom tune.
Now, after my last visit to the dyno/tuner, while my car had great numbers, I was a bit disappointed in the results. It dynoed at 299.1/309.3. Pretty impressive for just having those three mods. And at WOT it ran like a spanked ape. BUT, normal every day driving, slow acceleration like from a light in traffic, between 2krpm and about 3200rpm it felt like I was pulling a trailer. Almost like an under powered 4 cylinder does when you reach over and turn the A/C on or something. The guy at the dyno shop jacked with it for about 2 hours and could never get that "flat spot" out of it. He logged it, acknoledged that it was there, called Diablo ( they are a Diablo dealer ), and even called Steeda. No one had any ideas that worked. So, I was faced with one of two choices. Drive it the way it was and just ignore it, OR put the stock intake tube back on. Because with the stock tube I did not have that flat spot. I choose to drive it the way it was because the polished C&L intake tube just looked cooler

Anyway, back to the story. So I purchased the Jet Performance Throttle Body Spacer. Figured I would put it on, didn't really expect much if anything from it. And would check it out this coming weekend when I have a 1200 mile road trip to make. See if it at least changed the fuel mileage any. Just finished putting it on about 30 minutes ago. VERY MUCH TO MY SURPRISE that flat spot in the acceleration is COMPLETELY GONE! It just zings effortlessly right through the RPM range without being WOT. Needless to say, I was shocked.

So...does it make a difference. Yes. Without a doubt it makes a difference. I am supposed to get back over to the tuners some time next week if he has the time. When I do, I will do a pull before he starts doing anything to the car. Since I know what it pulled the last time it was there, and the TB spacer is the only thing that has been done to it, it should technically reflect any differences made. Very curious to see the number difference ( if any ) myself.
Thanks for your post. You sold me. I have the same flat spot in my torque curve. Actually, when I was at the DYNO, the guy was showing me some stuff and pulled up all the other '05 dynos they had done - each one had the same torque curve dip. Apparently, it's a natural symptom of some element of this engine's design. One guy had significantly flattened out that curve by adding charge motion delete plates - but these are expensive and have other downsides. At under $100, it's great to hear that this may be a solution - I really hate how sluggish my car feels until I hit 3k+ rpm - almost like it needs to build up some momentum. Very unnatural...

Old 7/20/05, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

If all it does is get rid of the flat spot, it's a $100 dollars well spent IMO.
Old 7/20/05, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by elvism@July 20, 2005, 9:26 PM
what do you want for less then $100 bucks ...50 hp increase??
Why not? Isn't that what those Honda Civic guys use?

I might have to get one of these, for no reason other than I need more practice taking my engine bay apart
Old 7/20/05, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by elvism@July 20, 2005, 7:26 PM
enough of this topic :bang: . maverick has given enough explanations on this product. stop being cheap bastards and buy it or zip it!!!!! what do you want for less then $100 bucks ...50 hp increase??

Well said sir!!

Jay
Old 7/20/05, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by elvism+July 20, 2005, 7:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elvism @ July 20, 2005, 7:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>enough of this topic :bang: . maverick has given enough explanations on this product. stop being cheap bastards and buy it or zip it!!!!! what do you want for less then $100 bucks ...50 hp increase??
[/b]

I did

Originally posted by ILikeBond@July 20, 2005, 8:47 PM
Thanks for your post. You sold me. I have the same flat spot in my torque curve. Actually, when I was at the DYNO, the guy was showing me some stuff and pulled up all the other '05 dynos they had done - each one had the same torque curve dip. Apparently, it's a natural symptom of some element of this engine's design. One guy had significantly flattened out that curve by adding charge motion delete plates - but these are expensive and have other downsides. At under $100, it's great to hear that this may be a solution - I really hate how sluggish my car feels until I hit 3k+ rpm - almost like it needs to build up some momentum. Very unnatural...
You're welcome. I certainly am not going to try to convence anyone to purchase one. But if you do I hope you are as pleased with the results as I was. Now what would really be nice is if the tuner guy could now tweak the tune some more since I fixed the flat spot for him!

<!--QuoteBegin-Vegasjay
@July 20, 2005, 9:01 PM
If all it does is get rid of the flat spot, it's a $100 dollars well spent IMO.
[/quote]

It was a completely unexpected result. But I am certainly glad it did. Was tired of feeling like I was using twice as much fuel to drive half as slow. And certainly cheaper than another all day session without results at the tuner.
Old 7/21/05, 12:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by wild stray@July 20, 2005, 5:08 PM
Nice write up, for a carbureted engine.
i think he might mean that in carburated engines, carb spacers are a large power adjuster, and tuning aid. I have one on my Boss 302's engine, it really helps the torque, especially since i am runnning a 2.12 intake valve (stock) with 302 cubic inches.
Old 7/21/05, 06:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hawgman@July 20, 2005, 5:34 PM

Absolutely no reason to dread posting your experiences with this or any other product. The idea is to be able to have adult discussions to help everyone in the forum. I, along with the rest of the members, appreciate your input.

The Boss Hog
Old 7/21/05, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by elvism@July 20, 2005, 8:26 PM
Hey, it's a forum, we talk about it stuff, it's what we do. But yes, we are probably beating this topic in the ground.

And thanks to Hawgman for his input and experience. Just about sold me on it too.

Can't wait to see some real dyno results.
Old 7/21/05, 07:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

I feel relieved, thanks Hawg! :banana2:

Quick Reply: JET Power-Flo Throttle Body Spacer