GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/06, 10:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Greetings,

I have the JBA shorties in stainless.I live in Arizona and am
wondering if I should have the ceramic.JBA will coat them for me ($$)
or perhaps I can use a place like Jet-Hot.
I also don't have the steeda motor mounts.
Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pike
Old 1/5/06, 11:15 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never had a problem with the stock motor mounts and don't think I will have unless I start running at the track. I bought the coated headers to help eliminate under hood heat build up, but honestly, I have no way to assure they were worth the money. It would be interesting to see what a private party test would produce in the real world, vs what the mfg's claim.

Paul
Old 4/12/08, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Well this is a pretty old post, but the topic is related. Quite awhile ago I bought a set of the JBA stainless steel equal length shorties. I ordered them bare because I personally like the look of stainless steel, though unfortunately JBA decided to take some kind of an abrasive to them to scuff up the natural surface. Well due to the heat and cold here in TX and other aspects these things have sat in my garage for (well) over a year, and this spring I decided it was time to get those suckers installed, along with the MotorSport X-pipe. To my disappointment I noticed the flanges had some surface rust. I confirmed with JBA the flanges are actually carbon steel and only the tubes are stainless steel. Now some grades of stainless steel are susceptible to rust as well, and these are of that grade. A couple little spots are noticed, but nothing bad. My gripe is JBA advertise these as Stainless Steel headers with no qualification regarding the material of the flanges. It is reasonable to assume from their ad, the headers are completely Stainless Steel (including the consumable used to weld them up). In my book that is misleading advertising. If I had known the flanges were carbon steel, I would have opted for the ceramic coating at the get go. All this has delayed my installation momentum. Today the headers are off to Jet Hot to get coated with their Sterling Silver coating ($195).
Old 4/12/08, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Well this is a pretty old post, but the topic is related. Quite awhile ago I bought a set of the JBA stainless steel equal length shorties. I ordered them bare because I personally like the look of stainless steel, though unfortunately JBA decided to take some kind of an abrasive to them to scuff up the natural surface. Well due to the heat and cold here in TX and other aspects these things have sat in my garage for (well) over a year, and this spring I decided it was time to get those suckers installed, along with the MotorSport X-pipe. To my disappointment I noticed the flanges had some surface rust. I confirmed with JBA the flanges are actually carbon steel and only the tubes are stainless steel. Now some grades of stainless steel are susceptible to rust as well, and these are of that grade. A couple little spots are noticed, but nothing bad. My gripe is JBA advertise these as Stainless Steel headers with no qualification regarding the material of the flanges. It is reasonable to assume from their ad, the headers are completely Stainless Steel (including the consumable used to weld them up). In my book that is misleading advertising. If I had known the flanges were carbon steel, I would have opted for the ceramic coating at the get go. All this has delayed my installation momentum. Today the headers are off to Jet Hot to get coated with their Sterling Silver coating ($195).

Radboss,
I know where you are coming from. But there are two types of stainless used in exhaust system. 409 SS which is magetic and will rust in time. Or 304 SS which is not magnetic and will not rust at all. You need to be careful buying mufflers that are said to be made of SS. It is probably a true statement but what grade is it made from is the real question.
Scott
Old 4/12/08, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Ceramic coating will also help to keep the heat inside the pipes and out of the engine bay.
Old 4/12/08, 08:37 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody got pics of either ceramic or stainless installed?
Old 4/13/08, 01:40 PM

These are JBA shorties ceramic titanium, they have been installed for 1.5yrs.
As you can see in photo as the 409SS starts to tarnish it will bleed thru the coating.
I live in NW Ohio so lots of rain and this is a DD when no snow or ice on ground,
about 10k/yr.
Attached Thumbnails JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-img_1555.jpg   JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-img_1556.jpg   JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-img_1557.jpg  
Old 4/13/08, 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's mine which are ceramic coated and a prototype design so they look alittle different than "what's his name" in the post above this one.
Attached Thumbnails JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-096-small-.jpg   JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-025-small-.jpg   JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-026-small-.jpg  
Old 4/13/08, 06:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J2L06GT
These are JBA shorties ceramic titanium, they have been installed for 1.5yrs.
As you can see in photo as the 409SS starts to tarnish it will bleed thru the coating.
I live in NW Ohio so lots of rain and this is a DD when no snow or ice on ground,
about 10k/yr.
No offense,but they look like Crap now
Old 4/13/08, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I knew 409SS would tarnish was hoping it would'nt bleed thru
the ceramic coating, will see how they hold up, its a driver not a show car.
I do like the gains when combined with delete plates and Bama tune.
Old 4/13/08, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Here's mine which are ceramic coated and a prototype design so they look alittle different than "what's his name" in the post above this one.
Very sad to see rust on Titanium coated that's what I have but only on for 4 mos. now.

How long have yours been on they still look good.
Old 4/14/08, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by kanicas
Very sad to see rust on Titanium coated that's what I have but only on for 4 mos. now.

How long have yours been on they still look good.
About 1.5yrs / 15k miles, sits in none heated garage in winter,
condensation with temp changes, lots of moisture in NW Ohio.
Old 4/16/08, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Well I should have mine back from Jet Hot in a week. I went for their Sterling Silver coating which they claim a life time warranty on. I'll post some pictures before I pop them on.

That one set above look very sad I am sorry to say.

Graypny - Better keep yours dry ... lucky in CA the weather is generally dryer and the roads don't get salted.
Old 4/28/08, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Update. Shorties back from Jet Hot. Have a look. I am very pleased. Photos take at sun set, hence reddish hue. These are very silver in color.
Attached Thumbnails JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-dcp_0796.jpg   JBA shorties:stainless or ceramic-dcp_0797.jpg