GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JBA Longtubes with GTA's or Stingers?

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/07, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBA Longtubes with GTA's or Stingers?

Currently, I have JBA LT's with catted H and it is very loud complimented by the FRPP Stingers, which I like. Some of my buddies say that this sounds a little raspy for some reason and I think it does also. Could it be because of the straight through design of the stingers? Would putting on some GTA's give more of that low rumble sound that I want?

Thanks for your input,
-Matt
Old 10/9/07, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.youtube.com

i always find that helpful. i personally think borla would really compliment your car. either that or flowmaster, but FM has too much drone. and i should know, mine has 40 series
Old 10/9/07, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

The thing I am wondering is, is the straight thru muffler design that I have causing the raspiness, would more of a chambered muffler make it i little lower/rumble-ier?
Old 10/16/07, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

bump
Old 10/16/07, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

bump bump
Old 10/17/07, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A chambered muffler will lower the tone and also quiet the inside of the car a bit compared with straight throughs. I had SLP Powerflows (straight-through) and switched to GTA's and noticed a big difference inside the car, much more liveable. Outside, it has a nice deep tone without being too crazy loud, but it's definitely louder than stock.
Old 10/17/07, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Did you check out my video? GTA's were VERY loud and raspy with my long tubes and ORH pipe. Yours would be a bit quieter with cats but I am certain GTA's won't give you what you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPTvwwwLS0
Old 10/17/07, 11:39 AM
FR500 Member

I have your exact setup. Both of them. JBA Longtubes, catted H, Stingers.

Ran this for a little over a year and loved the sound...everybody loved the sound. (yes, it was raspy as well, but VERY deep) The drone really did get bad with the addition of the longtubes though and after more than a year of tolerating it, went with GTA's.

It quieted down a bunch, the rasp is still there, just not as pronounced, no drone, I can carry on a conversation and they still sing quite loud when I get on it.

It's not as deep sounding as it was with the stingers, but that's the tradeoff.

The raspiness you will not get rid of completely. All longtube setups have that rasp, some call it the "cropduster effect" others call it "trumpets" and you can mitigate it some, but it won't go completely away.
Old 10/17/07, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by officespace56
Currently, I have JBA LT's with catted H and it is very loud complimented by the FRPP Stingers, which I like. Some of my buddies say that this sounds a little raspy for some reason and I think it does also. Could it be because of the straight through design of the stingers? Would putting on some GTA's give more of that low rumble sound that I want?

Thanks for your input,
-Matt
Hi Matt,

There are several versions of muffler or silencers used on S197 Mustangs. They include "can" style true straight through designs with no stuffing like Corsa and SLP, straight through designs with baffles and minimal sound absorbant material like Borla/FRPP/MagnaPack/SLP Stinger styles. Then there are the larger OE style rectangular straight through mufflers with a large volume of sound absorbant material tightly packed around a "straight through" baffled tube (though in fact these are not usually straight baffled tubes as in a stinger style can), inside like Borla and MagnaFlow. And last there are the large OE style rectangular chambered mufflers both with and without sound absorbing materials in one or more of the chambers.

A quick word about cats and equalizer tube styles. True high-flow cats are much louder than regular cats, almost as loud as going with a catless off-road pipe so if you are buying a race style or high flow catted crossover/down pipe keep this in mind when selecting a rear muffler system or you may have issues with noise. An X-pipe is generally quieter than an H-pipe and X-pipe crossovers tend to perform best when they are as close as possible to the header collectors. H-pipes have a more throaty lower frequency muscle car sound and X-pipes tend to sound more like revvy higher RPM European sports car motors with lots of higher frequency harmonics.

By far the highest potential for raspiness and fartiness is with a straight through stinger style can muffler as seen on and heard from every ricer in town. The can styles also have the highest potential for helping high RPM power due to their true straight through design. The next level down in the noise department are the larger cans with more volume for sound absorbant materials but these still sound funamentally the same as the other cans with straight through perforated or baffled tubes. The large rectangular mufflers with so called straight through designs can be much quieter than their canned cousins but still have a lot of the same sound if at a lower more full sounding level. The can style mufflers seem to sound more raspy with an X-pipe than an H-pipe and most are significanlty louder than the muffled sound of a large can with lots of sound material.

Chambered mufflers are the sound of the old school muscle cars. I say this with confidance because I was there, have owned a couple ealy Mustangs and aside from glass packs all there was to buy on the market were chambered mufflers. Go to any drag strip and listen to the vintage cars running old school exhaust and you will hear the sound is not all blurred and smooth and soft, there is a lot of edge and body to the sound with some raspiness and trumpeting. Go to a vintage car road race and listen to the sound of the V-8 cars in what used to be SCCA B production cars like the GT350's, small block Cameros and other sporty GM cars and you will hear the shriek of headers with too small primary tubes and high velocity exhaust gases leaving the cars.

But chambered mufflers have come a long way since the simple large rectangular box with a pipe in with three or four chambers in the middle and a pipe back out. FlowMaster started it and others have picked it up using the chambers to cancle noise and resonance while supressing SPL without "muffling" the sound like Borla and MagnaFlow have done with their so called straight through giant can mufflers. Chambered mufflers sound the best with an H-pipe and pretty amazing with an X-pipe.

HTH!
Old 10/18/07, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

btw my cats are gutted right now because the content of the cat was loose which was causing rattling
Old 10/18/07, 01:35 PM

btw my cats are gutted right now because the content of the cat was loose which was causing rattling
Hi Matt,

Did you call JBA Racing? You should have returned the H-pipe and JBA would have warranty swapped it for you.

Cheers!
Old 10/19/07, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

I was going to do that, but I bought it through ebay. Should that be a problem?
Old 10/19/07, 05:21 PM

I was going to do that, but I bought it through ebay. Should that be a problem?

Hi officespace56,

Did you buy the JBA pipe from a JBA dealer? If so call them up and ask them to warranty the parts bu I suggest that you talk to them and tell them that you knocked out the cat cores or you may end up paying for shipping he H-pipe both ways.

If the company you bought the H-pipe from is not a JBA dealer you may be in deep Kimchee (if you don't know it would hurt a lot), but you could always try calling my friend Bruce ar JBA and pleading your case. Good luck!

Cheers!