GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installing a supercharger on daily driven 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/05, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hi guys, it has been a while since I wrote in the forum, I have been enjoying my car every day heh, the question is:

how much does it worth it to get a nice supercharger in the GT, if someone has one, can you tell me how is to drive it as an everyday car?

I have a gsxr 750 2002 with all the extras, I am thinking in giving it away for about 6000 and invest that into the supercharger, because here in central florida rains a lot, and my wife cryes every time I go out on it, but I do like speed, and I was thinking about the supercharger, but also, the mustang is my daily drive to work, and everywere else.
Does anybody has some experience on these to enlight me on costs, brands, and what else would I have to change on the car to not break anything with the extra horsepower??

btw, here is a picture of my white GT.

Thanks a lot for helping a newbie.

Patan.-
Old 8/7/05, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I understand, adding a supercharger on a daily driver isn't so bad. As long as you do a complete kit that also upgrades fuel delivery, etc. The only downside I can see is having to run premium octane fuel. On a daily driver, and depending on how heavy your foot is, that could be a bit more expensive. Saying that... I still plan to add one to mine, but probably not right away, and mine will only be a weekender.
Old 8/7/05, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Martin what Central Fl dealership is that in the picture - sure looks like Greenway Ford.
Old 8/7/05, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Check out what this guy did...he indicates the Saleen SC is very streetable, and has power way down low unlike some of the other SCs.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=45928
Old 8/7/05, 03:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My neighbor has an 05 GT with a 9lb intercooled ProCharger, JBA LT's and O/R H-pipe with JBA mufflers. He put down 456hp at the wheels before the LT's were put on. He drives it every day and doesn't baby it - he took me for a ride last night and man is that car SICK!!!! Todd, if you come to either the photo shoot next Saturday or the Poker Run on the 21st, you can see/hear the car in person
Old 8/7/05, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good! I'm trying to rearrange my schedule to make it.
Old 8/7/05, 05:04 PM
V6 Member

I would like to add another question to this discussion. Is it possible to add a supercharger to an automatic car or is this something that should just be done to a manuel transmission?
Old 8/7/05, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Kris9321@August 7, 2005, 4:07 PM
I would like to add another question to this discussion. Is it possible to add a supercharger to an automatic car or is this something that should just be done to a manuel transmission?
Lol!

Seriously though, auto or stick, it makes no difference, other than how you plan to use it. Mine is an auto with a Paxton and drives exactly like stock, until you start to dip your foot further into the floor.

As far as the comment above stating the Saleen SC is streetable and has power down low, you need to really think about this. It may have more low end torque, but this can also be unusable on the street. With my current setup, I can mash the throttle from a dead stop. I get a quick chirp, then the rpms get up there quickly but not quick enough to have to worry about wheelspin, then I'm gone. As a previous owner of two Lightnings and a Heads/Cam Z06, I can tell you that more low-end torque can be your enemy UNLESS you're running slicks at the track or DR's as a "daily driver".

Do yourself a favor and listen to advice from those who actually own a setup that you're looking to buy. And by all means drive someones car that has it if you can.
Old 8/7/05, 05:52 PM

I have the procharger with the mods below and it a daily driver. For me, it's great!
Old 8/7/05, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

What kind gas mileage do you get?
On what Octane fuel?
As I am too wanting to supercharge
Old 8/7/05, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MTAS@August 7, 2005, 3:15 PM
My neighbor has an 05 GT with a 9lb intercooled ProCharger, JBA LT's and O/R H-pipe with JBA mufflers. He put down 456hp at the wheels before the LT's were put on. He drives it every day and doesn't baby it - he took me for a ride last night and man is that car SICK!!!! Todd, if you come to either the photo shoot next Saturday or the Poker Run on the 21st, you can see/hear the car in person
MTAS,

I'm thinking of putting either a Vortech or ProCharger on mine. I'm leaning more towards the ProCharger, but since you've already seen and heard it...how load is the SC itself?

Does it just whisle? OR do you hear a gear whining noise?
Can you tell that there is a SC under the hood?

I had a Vortech on my 99 and it was barely noticable. Just wondering how the Procharger compares.
Old 8/7/05, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Weedo@August 7, 2005, 4:45 PM
And by all means drive someones car that has it if you can.
Thanks for the offer . So when are you available ????
Old 8/7/05, 07:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by CannonBaller@August 7, 2005, 8:26 PM
MTAS,

I'm thinking of putting either a Vortech or ProCharger on mine. I'm leaning more towards the ProCharger, but since you've already seen and heard it...how load is the SC itself?

Does it just whisle? OR do you hear a gear whining noise?
Can you tell that there is a SC under the hood?

I had a Vortech on my 99 and it was barely noticable. Just wondering how the Procharger compares.
The whine of the blower didn't sound too loud and it's more of a gear noise than whistle like some Vortechs I've heard. His blow-off valve - now that stinker was LOUD and it would scare small children But since he now has the LT/off-road H combo, the blow off and blower sound itself are insigificant by comparison. In fact, while inside the car, you don't even hear the blow off valve any more. And yeah if you know what a blower sounds like, there's no mistaking there's one under the hood Put it this way - to the uninitiated, it probably sounds like the proverbial defective pulley or loose serpentine belt
Old 8/7/05, 07:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@August 7, 2005, 5:42 PM
Thanks for the offer . So when are you available ????
Any time my friend!
Old 8/7/05, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Vortech on mine and i drive it almost daily to and from work (60 mi each way!).On the hwy @ 70 I generally see about 23-24mpg and average 21-22 with th occasional city use.I love the kit and with the exception of running the premium fuel I see no probs with it at all!
Old 8/7/05, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the answers guys, I am starting to have an idea of what to expect if I put one, that is right, it was greenway ford unfortunatelly...

So basically, the car is driveable in a normal basis, when does the supercharger starts acting, after how many RPMs the supercharger start kicking?
because at 65mph the car goes just over 2000 rpms, and it is usually the fastest I go on the way to work.
what is the MPG that you guys get with it?

I know the power will be amazing, but how much should I expect to invest between a full kit and someone knowledgeable that installs it?

I live in Orlando, I saw a few of you guys live close, if you are doing something with other mustang owners some time around here, Tampa--Orlando--Daytona and surroundings, let me know, I'd like to go.

the car is totally stock, only has 2500 miles on it.
Do I have to add any other mechanic parts other than the kit itself? like special clutch? or anything like that? or only the chip and tuning for the kit?

which kit would you reccomend? I was looking at the vortech or paxton ones, but I believe there is a lot more good ones around.
Thanks for all the responses, and sorry I posted on the wrong part of the forum.

about the dealer, I order the car january and got it on june, I got an xplan that according to them, was expired when I got the car in June, and I got to get a new pin number in the same day, or they would make me pay for the full price, fortunatelly, a frien of mine had a friend in ford credit that got me one in a hurry, and I got the car for what I agreed on, but naturally, I would not go there ever again. :notnice:

mine is 5 speed, but I heard automatics are better for the 1/4 mile??
I have a friend that runs with a 98 (I think) around here and he put an automatic on his car.

my first addition to the car was a valentine1, because unfortunatelly,I found out having a white mustang GT, I'm like a huge donut for hungry cops here hehe, and I found out they shoot me with radar all the time... not nice.
Old 8/7/05, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Weedo@August 7, 2005, 6:20 PM
Any time my friend!
Live on the left coast ?
Old 8/7/05, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd be interested in hearing how the dealerships react to the underhood blowers when the car goes in for service or to have SBs done. I'd love a supercharger but the horror stories of voided warrantees have postponed my plans until after the warranty expires.
Old 8/8/05, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

i can tell you first hand with my Vortech kit that at normal cruising on the hwy @ 60,70, 80 etc with the normal flow of traffic I am NEVER in the boost.It is always in Vacuum and therefore....No addiitonal wear and tear on the motor, which was one of the main reasons I likes the Centrifugal units.You will not see any boost conditions with the Vortech kit on the hwy under normal cruising UNLESS you want too.I believe the standard vortech kit retails for about $4k and the aftercooled kit selling retail for about $5k..Let me know if I can help any further.If you want you can PM if you decide to look into the Vortech one more closely and I can probably get you the best price on one through my contacts.
Old 8/8/05, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Chris, that sound great, when I decide to do it, I will bother you to help me with the numbers.
which area do you live in? I live in central florida.
What other things would you recommend to install other than the supercharger?
because over 400 ponyes is a lot of power to handle by all the original parts right?
what is the life expectancy(is that word exist?) of the motor when you throw in the S/C?
Thanks for all the info, it is very usefull for me and all the people that never did this type of upgrades before.

Quick Reply: Installing a supercharger on daily driven 05 GT