GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installing iPod Adapter W/Out Losing CD Changer...

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/07, 12:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing iPod Adapter W/Out Losing CD Changer...

Is it possible to install an iPod adapter into the back of the Shaker 1000's head unit without losing the 6-Disc CD changer?

Seems like you would have to lose the CD playing capabilities of the system as a trade off...

Is this true and the only way to go about it?
Old 9/11/07, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not true at all.

Depending on the kit you choose, you select AUX mode, and if the iPod is connected, the CD control buttons now control the iPod. Switch to CD mode, and you get to control the CD player.

Ford offers an iPod hookup kit that links the iPod controls through the Shaker system. The only thing these things conflict with is the built-in GPS system present in new models of the Shaker system.
Old 9/11/07, 01:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
Not true at all.

Depending on the kit you choose, you select AUX mode, and if the iPod is connected, the CD control buttons now control the iPod. Switch to CD mode, and you get to control the CD player.

Ford offers an iPod hookup kit that links the iPod controls through the Shaker system. The only thing these things conflict with is the built-in GPS system present in new models of the Shaker system.
Thank god...

I thought it disabled the CD player entirely...

Aside from Ford's setup...Any third party iPod Auxiliary setups you would recommend?
Old 9/11/07, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Peripheral Electronics has a product called "iSimple" that you can find at BestBuy and other retail stores. It's about $99. Be sure to check that you get the version that works for Ford's Shaker systems, because they sell several formats for different car manufacturers.
Old 9/11/07, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Am I missing something here? I thought I could just plug an ipod into the mp3 jack inside the storage compartment? How does that work? Go easy on me folks, don't flame my ignorance! I'm an old fart. LOL
Old 9/11/07, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

There's a 1/8th auxiliary jack located in the armrest box (in '07 models) that is wired to the AUX mode of the Shaker system. You can run a male-to-male headphone cable from that 1/8th auxiliary jack to the headphone port of your iPod, to play the iPod through your stereo. You have to use the controls on your iPod, but the sound quality is as good as what you get through the headphone jack.

A stereo deck interface for the iPod connects to the actual auxiliary connections on the back of the Shaker stereo unit and allows you to not only play the iPod through your stereo, but charge it and control it through the stereo's controls. The function works the same as if you put in an MP3 CD into the system, where you use the CD playback controls to move between folders and select songs. The iPod interface will include a long cable with an iPod dock connector (that connects to the bottom dock port of the iPod) that you can route to any location in your car. This not only allows you to control the iPod throught he stereo, and charge it, but supposedly sound quality through the dock connector is better, too.
Old 9/12/07, 05:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Arrow, that makes sense now.
Old 9/12/07, 01:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

i bought the PIE Adapter from crutchfield, works great to this day, all you gotta do is push the AUX button to play your ipod
Old 9/12/07, 01:33 PM

i have an 06 gt, with the shaker 500 and i was looking couple days ago to install my ipod myself. anyone know if they have a AUX jack anywhere else besides the back of the deck? caus ei have a male to male that will hook my ipod in, but i dont know how to get to the AUX jack
Old 9/12/07, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
i bought the PIE Adapter from crutchfield, works great to this day, all you gotta do is push the AUX button to play your ipod
I believe this is the system I'll be looking at picking up...

Are you able to control the iPod manually with it as well?

And lastly where did you place the iPod?

Thanks...
Old 9/12/07, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Colsgt
i have an 06 gt, with the shaker 500 and i was looking couple days ago to install my ipod myself. anyone know if they have a AUX jack anywhere else besides the back of the deck? caus ei have a male to male that will hook my ipod in, but i dont know how to get to the AUX jack
The armrest box 1/8th AUX jack was a new feature for the '07 models if I remember right. I bet if you spoke to the Ford dealership you could get the jack they use and just install it yourself. Otherwise, I don't think there's any other jacks anywhere.

You can also buy an aftermarket 1/8th jack that wires to your stereo's AUX connections on the back. I did that for my sister's tiburon.
Old 9/12/07, 02:34 PM

yeah i took a look behind the deck and **** its tight back there. ill have to take off some panels and try it
Old 9/12/07, 03:55 PM
GT Member

There is NOT a aux jack in the back of the unit so don't even bother looking. The aux adapter is on 07+ models and is located in the armrest.
Old 9/12/07, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chabbz182
There is NOT a aux jack in the back of the unit so don't even bother looking. The aux adapter is on 07+ models and is located in the armrest.
Yeah there is. There isn't a 1/8th headphone jack, but there is a 24/16 pin junction on the back for interfacing external components. There's also some connector in the wiring harness found behind the stereo (it's a mess of empty sockets back there) that supposedly can be used to bypass the stereo for auxiliary functions, too. Some iPod connection kits use that instead of the head-unit junction.

I forget if the head unit has a set of RCA input jacks, though. Most stereo units do. I tried to track down a wiring diagram or photo, but couldn't find one. Google-Images let me down. Oh well. If the head unit does have RCA jacks, then adding a 1/8th headphone jack is stupid easy.
Old 9/14/07, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crucut
Am I missing something here? I thought I could just plug an ipod into the mp3 jack inside the storage compartment? How does that work? Go easy on me folks, don't flame my ignorance! I'm an old fart. LOL
Thats what I do.. Whats the problem?????Works like a charm....
Old 9/18/07, 12:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by XxDevilR6xX
I believe this is the system I'll be looking at picking up...

Are you able to control the iPod manually with it as well?

And lastly where did you place the iPod?

Thanks...

yes, thats the only way you can control the ipod is manually from the ipod itself. the only drawback to this mod is that it doesn't charge the ipod. but thank god for the cigarette lighter in the console, I also connect a charger to it and its perfect! still works great to this day, clear crisp music, no static!

here is where I got it.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aW1YnBe...p?I=469FRD4AUX
Old 9/19/07, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

The integration from Peripheral Electronics allows you to control the iPod through the stereo buttons, and it also charges the iPod.

The integration from Ford does the same.

The lead cable that extends from the head unit to your iPod is plenty long enough that you could thread it to just about anywhere you could reach while driving. Glove box is popular, and also the armrest box. I have a friend who velcroed his iPod under the dash, and fed the hookup all behind the dash. Whatever.