GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installed JBA headers

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/05, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone. Well my current mods are predator 93 octane tune and WMS ram air intake. With those mods alone the car felt very quick and responsive.

Yesterday I just had a shop finish installing a set of JBA shorty headers....
And the exhaust sounds great but two things:

1)I am not sure if there was a loss in power. Is this possible? could there be leaks? do you have to wait for the new gaskets to melt on properly?

2) When I rev it slowly the exhaust sounds loud and fine, but when I just smash it quick full throttle or not, I hear this rattling raspy sound or ticking sound coming out of the exhaust and engine. Is this normal after install ? It sounds a bit like the engine is cammed. Also I believe theres a small lag again in the throttle.

I'm jjust concerned if theres way to know if theres leaks? maybe a problem? or if that sound is fine? Could it be that my car has to be re-tuned somehow? anything I can do with the predator? do I have to get someone to adjust the a/f ??
Old 9/25/05, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 questions of which neither answer any of your questions: did you have to replace the motor mounts and how much room is there between the driver's side header and the steering linkage?
Old 9/25/05, 10:05 AM
jlb
GT Member

Sorry to side-track the thread...Todd, do you have any pics you could post of your car with the chrome bullitts? I have a windveil blue GT and have been strongly considering those wheels. Thanks!
-jb
Old 9/25/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

You won't regret it!! They look outstanding. Here is a picture from about a month ago prior to installing the CDC Classic chin spoiler and louvered C-Pillar scoops.
Old 9/25/05, 10:37 AM
jlb
GT Member

:worship: Yup...that settles it! Thanks, man
Old 9/25/05, 11:13 AM
FR500 Member

I'd run with it as is for awhile, and see if power comes back. I suspect you'll have to fine tune it now with the new headers.

If you had an exhaust leak, you'd probably hear it all the time not just at WOT.
Old 9/25/05, 11:21 AM

I suspect it is just the different sound that is typical with headers, from under the hood it sounds a bit like a few loose lifters/rockers. Don't worry though, if you had an exhaust leak it would be pretty obvious and it would get worse as time went on. The lack of power is most likely due to a frequent phenomenon that I experience myself, it is from an expectation of the feel of more power and lack of seat of the pants feel with the mod, you just probably have expected too much from this install. In my experience it takes more than 25hp to "feel it" after you do a mod. When in doubt go to the dyno and you should be rest assured the power is there.
Old 9/25/05, 12:11 PM

To answer your questions. The stock motor mounts were just fine, dunno bout the future. I do plan on replacing them though. As far as clearance, The driver side header is just a couple of millimeters away. very close but good fit.

I'm glad to hear that the sound may be just from the header install. perhaps I did expect a big jump. Maybe its there maybe it isnt. Looking to get dyno tuned sometime next week.

Any other comments guys/ideas?
Old 9/25/05, 07:43 PM

If you are looking to replace your motor mounts I know of a set that are used that could probably be had reasonably. 169Stang has removed his after installing a BMR K-member that has mounts in it already, he has been asking me if I know anyone that is interested in them. If you must have them new then look at Steeda's page, they have a newly released intermediate mount that is under 2bills.
Old 11/15/05, 05:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, bumping an old thread.

Rrobello and I are gonna attempt to install some JBA shortys in my car this weekend.

How hard was it? Do you have to lift the motor?

thanks
Old 11/15/05, 07:11 PM
FR500 Member

My tuner installed mine while I was out of town. He used a lift and said they were still somewhat a pain in the ****!
Old 11/15/05, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Without trying to sound like a smartass, I thought the shorty headers were not yielding any hp gains. Those JBA's are nice, but very expensive for minimal gains.
Old 11/15/05, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by jvm051@November 15, 2005, 6:20 PM
Without trying to sound like a smartass, I thought the shorty headers were not yielding any hp gains. Those JBA's are nice, but very expensive for minimal gains.
I was thinking the same thing; and the primary reason I plan to go LTs.
Old 11/15/05, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jvm051@November 15, 2005, 8:20 PM
Maybe they are planning something other than gains?
Old 11/15/05, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jvm051@November 15, 2005, 10:20 PM
You're right. I think one of the recent issues of a Mustang mag (Nov MM&FF or 5.0) demonstrated that an axleback, xpipe and shorty yielded 5HP at best.

However, it's clear that the sound alone is worth it to some, plus, you apparently get the added benefit of eliminating or reducing the dreaded 1800 rpm drone at cruise.

You could always argue the same for the CDC shaker: CDC told me personally that it's a 5 HP gain, but it sure as heck LOOKS COOL!!

John
Old 11/15/05, 08:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Rrobello and I have both talked directly to JBA....and they are getting more than "5rwhp" with the shorty headers. lol. Why would a reputable company like JBA produce shorty headers that get "at most 5rwhp". No headers would be that useless. Maybe I have too much faith in them but I'll know when I get them dyno'd myself.

JBA states 18rwhp for shorty headers
20rwhp with mufflers

Likewise, approximately 28-30 with the LT headers.

Being that LT's are a pain in the hiney to install and harder to swap if I get a fix it ticket, AND they are $400 more than shorties....I went with shorties.

beside sound, throttle response is improved.
Old 11/15/05, 08:22 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by jwgroovin@November 15, 2005, 8:57 PM
You're right. I think one of the recent issues of a Mustang mag (Nov MM&FF or 5.0) demonstrated that an axleback, xpipe and shorty yielded 5HP at best.

However, it's clear that the sound alone is worth it to some, plus, you apparently get the added benefit of eliminating or reducing the dreaded 1800 rpm drone at cruise.

You could always argue the same for the CDC shaker: CDC told me personally that it's a 5 HP gain, but it sure as heck LOOKS COOL!!

John
what issue are you reading? I get every issue and never read such a thing, maybe you should read it again, you might have missed something, or maybe the magazine is just wrong. What the heck would be the point of making headers that only got a 5hp gain, Ive never heard of such a worthless set of headers ever for any car. Heck the mags did a review of just axlebacks not too long ago and were getting +2hp with JBA Evols like every other system, my K&N got me a gain of 15.26rwhp without a tune, so this makes no sense, I have seen numbers from several shops and in magazines that say the shorties and axlebacks are getting 18-20rwhp, pauls performance just did this in an issue last month, and JBAs numbers are higher than that but I will be dynoing my car this weekend so I will let you all know.
Old 11/15/05, 08:24 PM
FR500 Member

I wouldn't trade the sound of my exhaust for anything. The LT's are surely the way to go if you're looking for the most hp though. Only problem with the LT here in California is you have to be prepared for removing them to pass smog at sometime. The shorties will pass a quick inspection by the Highway Patrol here, but with the X pipe, they will prolly site you for loud exhaust anyway. Installing the headers and removing them, just to install them again is just more than I am willing to go through. At least the shorties will pass smog along with the visual inspection. With off road pipes, you can also be cited for lack of cats. To each his own!

Paul
Old 11/15/05, 08:37 PM

I'll worry about the smog crap in six years when I have to... until then its a free for all!!

And I lost some respect for JBA's claims after my personal experience having a dyno done there. I'm not inclined to believe their claims of HP gains, because I can't believe what they told me about my own car.

But, make sure you post the before and after numbers anyway.
Old 11/15/05, 08:43 PM
FR500 Member

My shorties picked up 3rwhp on a Dyno Jet. If I remember correctly, JBA uses another dyno for their advertising (other than a Dyno Jet).
You might get a different result (dyno reading) than I did though, different mods and time of year.
Anyway, I'll look forward to your results. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Installed JBA headers