GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Inside Look Of A Flowmaster!! Operation Complete

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/07, 04:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside Look Of A Flowmaster!! Operation Complete

Well the operation is complete. The top of the muffler did not come apart in one piece on the first one, but less cutting (1 piece) on the second muffler. It wasn't the baffles at all. In fact, the baffles were the strongest part of the muffler. It was the chamber wall closest to the tip that cracked. The tube going into the second chamber was only welded on one side causing the fracture. The buzzing was the tube flapping back and forth from the pressure. The arrows indicate where the cracks were. The cracks were on both sides of the chamber tube . All is fixed. Did not remove any baffles or chamber walls. Flowmasters mistake was not welding on both sides of the tube. Only the side closest to the tip was welded.
Note. the baffles are actually welded on the top and bottom of the muffler . That's why you can't see them . To fix ,you only have to open up half of the muffler closest to the tip. The rest of the muffler is really solid
Attached Thumbnails Inside Look Of A Flowmaster!! Operation Complete-flow2.jpg   Inside Look Of A Flowmaster!! Operation Complete-flow1.jpg   Inside Look Of A Flowmaster!! Operation Complete-flow3.jpg   Inside Look Of A Flowmaster!! Operation Complete-flow4.jpg   Inside Look Of A Flowmaster!! Operation Complete-flow5.jpg  

Old 7/5/07, 04:21 PM
GT Member

now the hard part

Now I have to hit the drive way and put these puppies back in. talk to you guys later
Chow
Old 7/5/07, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Wow, somehow I expected the internals of a muffler to be more impressive...

Great job with the surgery! Hope the muffler install and repair goes well!
Old 7/5/07, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice job with the surgery, but you're wasting a lot of time on aluminized rubbish.
Old 7/5/07, 05:50 PM
V6 Member

Wow thats good news. Sweet. I will have to rty this surgery.
Old 7/5/07, 06:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
While I am glad you have fixed your mufflers and I know you could not return them because you did not have your receipt... that seems like alot of work to put into an inferior product. I am glad it worked out for you though. I am not trying to be an as& but I have read so much about these mufflers falling apart and guys getting 2,3 and 4 sets replaced under warranty that they must truely sound awesome to go thru so much trouble. At some point I would think you could ask Flowmaster could just refund your money. I am glad it worked out for you.
Scott
Old 7/5/07, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

It looks like you've licked the fundamental problem. They'll likely last you the next thirty years.
Old 7/6/07, 12:40 AM
GT Member

Cost of fix $40

I see people think I'm a little nuts goin though the trouble of fixing these things. I didn't want to spend another $300-500 on new exhaust right now. I wasn't about to give Flowmaster(crapmaster) any more of my money. Most of all I was curious to see what the real problem was. I paid $40 to the same welder who welded my vibrant resonators on. The welds are solid and nothing is coming loose again. I love the sound of the flows with the x pipe and resonators. here is a clip of the finished exhaust.
A/T FLOWMASTERS+12 INCH VIBRANT RESONATORS + O/R PYPES X PIPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6AECaBa20
Old 7/6/07, 02:14 AM
Bullitt Member

that sounds pretty nice, I've always loved the flowmaster sound, looks like I'm gonna have to order some resonators when I order my x pipe, good work man!