GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Important!! ALL X-calibrator Owners Please Read..

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/06, 04:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread and very good to know info. I hope I never have to run into this.
Old 9/23/06, 05:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by parrotheadGT
Doug,
This may be a dumb question, but does the "read strategy" procedure you reccomend have to be done when the unit is brand new, I.E. before a tune is initailly uploaded while all the stock parameters are still in the PCM? I've had my tune for a couple of months now (with no service work done). Will I still be able to read the proper strategy code for future reference?
You can read the strategy at any time.
Old 9/23/06, 08:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Should we not hang a tag on our car to the dealership......DO NOT TUNE or update my tune?

My stuff is so modified, I won't consider going to ford for warranty work.

BTW, Doug has worked with me every time I have had a tune problem or conflict.
Old 9/24/06, 06:11 AM

This may be a silly question… If a Ford dealership changes the strategy, shouldn’t they put a new calibration sticker on the computer module? This would give some indication that the program has been changed. I guess one could always ask…
Old 9/24/06, 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Doug..
Old 10/4/06, 08:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Doug904
Hey guys, and gals....

This issue has come up a few times and I feel I need to make a post about it to help. Please feel free to pass this along to ANY forum you may post on that may have a 05-up Mustang both GT and V6..

I've had a few customers that even when they returned their vehicles to stock and went to the dealer and the dealer reflashed or updated their calibrations. When they got home they reloaded the tune into their vehicle and it wouldn't start. Also, when they tried to return the vehicle to stock it wouldn't start.

Explaination....

When the dealer updated their computer it then changed the Calibration code inside the PCM. Unlike 04 and earlier models the X-calibrator didn't see this as a new vehicle and simply deleted the tune that the dealer installed and wrote the old program on the PCM. This old tune doesn't have the same settings and this causes the car not to start, to put it in simple terms.

Now for the bad part, being that it deleted the tune file that the dealer has installed it wont start. Returning the vehicle to stock doesn't work either because all you are doing is returning it to the factory program from the intial tune.

In other words, the dealer would have to reflash the new code into the PCM again.

Now, Prevention.....

The first thing you need to do when you get your X-calibrator in is to goto " Read DTC menu" and then scroll down to " Read Strategy" and read this information from your car. Then write this down somewhere secure, like inside the X-calibrator box.

Then, if you have to take your car in for service first check your strategy by doing the above after returning it to stock. Take it in for service and when you get the car back BEFORE uploading a tune Read the strategy again and compare it to the one you had before taking it in for service.

If they match then simply install the tunes and drive away happy.

If they do not match then DO NOT install the tuner but rather contact your SCT dealer and give them the new Strategy code and get some new tunes for your new code.

Every dealer CAN email these to you, not every dealer WILL email these to you.

On 05's I've not had any problems with this because the main codes for the 05's haven't truly been updated. This has truly began with the 06's.

Below are a few Strategy codes and the Calibration codes for which they stand for.....

Strategy = Calibration

FBNF1G3 = TJF1

FBNE0G5 = GYX1

FBLF152 = VDX1

FBLF1G2 = SRV0 Which is the one that VDX1 updates to.

Just let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any help. Like I said please pass this along to any forums you know, this information can help alot of people.

Thanks, Doug
Props to you
Old 10/4/06, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parrotheadGT
Doug,
This may be a dumb question, but does the "read strategy" procedure you reccomend have to be done when the unit is brand new, I.E. before a tune is initailly uploaded while all the stock parameters are still in the PCM? I've had my tune for a couple of months now (with no service work done). Will I still be able to read the proper strategy code for future reference?

Yes, the " Changes to" means the code that it will change to with the Ford update. Actually this information is available publically at www.Motorcraft.com and then goto the tech info and then latest calibration information. Yes, its for ALL fords so there's quite a bit to go through.

The Strategy Read will work at anytime as well as on any Ford. You can even use someone elses X-cal to read the strategy if need be. This is one of the generic functions from the X-calibrator.

As for the sticker, they are supposed to!! They used to do a small sticker in the engine bay giving updated information. Nowadays Ford doesn't pay enough to take the time, in the dealer's defense, but truly they should do it. I'll try and update the calibrations some more on the first post too.

Can we get this thread as a sticky please??
Old 1/22/07, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

If this is still relevant, can someone PM a moderator to sticky it?
Old 1/22/07, 04:14 PM
Banned

Very relevant, especially to 06 Gt automatic owner's. I'm sure they'll start adjusting the 07's soon too.
Old 1/22/07, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug, What aspect of the calibration does this code change affect!
Old 1/22/07, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Another question also,

does this now apply to the Predator owners that have your tune(or any custom tune) as well?
Old 1/25/07, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

For those wondering, you can access this under the Vehicle Information menu option on the X-Cal.

I'm going to PM Taco Bill to see if he'd edit his How-To's to include this pertinent info.
Old 1/25/07, 08:07 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Requested Sticky'ness
Old 1/26/07, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Hi everyone. great site i'm learning a lot about my car.
I purchased on ebay a steeda cold air intake with xcal tunner. can i just install these and go i belive it has two tunes installed 1 for 87 the other for 93. it came from a 5spd man 05 mine is an 06 5spd man. i'm getting a little nervios now reading how people cars wont start due to a tune. also is it hard to do or use. thanks for your help. Saverio
Old 1/26/07, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by another 06gt
I purchased on ebay a steeda cold air intake with xcal tunner. can i just install these and go i belive it has two tunes installed 1 for 87 the other for 93. it came from a 5spd man 05 mine is an 06 5spd man. i'm getting a little nervios now reading how people cars wont start due to a tune. also is it hard to do or use. thanks for your help. Saverio
Hello! Just a tip, this isn't the thread you should ask your questions in. You'll get a response in other related threads.

BTW, guys, TacoBill included this info in his sticky.
Old 1/28/07, 05:21 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by another 06gt
You need to get tunes made for YOUR CAR`S COMPUTER , not someone elses. If you bought a tuner from someone else , or have one from a previous car , you HAVE to have a special tune made for your own COMPUTER CODE!! You find that on the side or top of your box in the engine bay. You will have to send that code off and a tune will be made and e-mailed to you or you can send in the whole unit.

Do not load some other cars tune in yours!!!!

You will be asking for BIG trouble.

Hope this explains a little.

And please Mr. Moderator , lock the thread.
Old 1/28/07, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am getting the same strategy numbers whether I have the stock tune loaded or a custum tune..I though it was supposed to be different........????
Old 1/28/07, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

They are supposed to be the same.
Old 1/29/07, 06:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great info, thanks.
Old 1/29/07, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

So I can use the strategy numbers that I get with the 91 tune I have in or do I need to reload the stock tune then read the strategy numbers?

Quick Reply: Important!! ALL X-calibrator Owners Please Read..