9.23%
Saleen Supercharger
86.15%
They are the same
3.08%
Other
1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

If modding a GT, which will you do? Roush or Saleen Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/07, 03:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BULLITT INTERCEPTOR
This is about the most ignorant uninformed remark I have seen on this forum in some time.

If you think Roush is about power and nothing else you need to have your head checked.
You're a very funny guy... Do you work for Leno?
Well, if it ain't about power then what is it about? Paying for Jack's retirement maybe?
The only other consideration is a warranty and the Whipple has that as well with a much better blower. But why would you want a Roush in the first place? To put one on you have to send you PCM to Roush for them to tune it. That is how paranoid they are. Everyone else sends some type of tuner with the sc. The tune still sucks and if you change it or a pulley you void the warranty. Why place old technology on your car for the same money that new technology costs you? Doesn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted by don_w
And besides, which "specialty" car isn't "overpriced" to some degree.
Oh that's easy... The Shelby GT. No, seriously! Just ask any salesman and he'll tell you why $2,500 dollars in mods costs you over $8,0000!

The Shelby GT, it's not just a car... It's an investment!!!
Old 8/2/07, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
You're a very funny guy... Do you work for Leno?
Well, if it ain't about power then what is it about? Paying for Jack's retirement maybe?
The only other consideration is a warranty and the Whipple has that as well with a much better blower. But why would you want a Roush in the first place? To put one on you have to send you PCM to Roush for them to tune it. That is how paranoid they are. Everyone else sends some type of tuner with the sc. The tune still sucks and if you change it or a pulley you void the warranty. Why place old technology on your car for the same money that new technology costs you? Doesn't make sense to me.
First of all, We all know that the Roush tune is a Fat Tune, and was done so with warranty in mind. However Roush DOES have a new blower pulley and new tune, with albeit a minor bump in power (15hp) and a more responsive tune. And warranty remains intact.

Roush also currently has several items in the works that will likely be seen in the coming months leading up to SEMA.

Roush builds well rounded cars, power and handling. And have already shown to run circles around the Shelby and many other vehicles costing far more.
Old 8/2/07, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

Ok, enough popcorn! I'm so mad, I had like 5 paragraphs written, and my computer at work started to act up and I lost it all! UGH!

Ok, here goes again...

I traded in my 05 GT with 53K miles for an 06 GT with 6K miles. Final price was 25K, which included a dealer installed roush charger, tinted windows and upgraded 18" chrome wheels. I'm pretty happy with the deal.

As far as the SCs, I wanted to understand the difference, because the Roush charger looked much smaller than the Saleen, so I now understand. Excuse my ignorance please.

Funny thing is, they both produce the same amount of PSI, they both cost the same, but the poll clearly shows that Roush is not an option in anybody's mind! That's very interesting.

I was also going to ask about an upgrade of the pullie, but for an additional 15hp, that's clearly not an investment worth doing, right?

Long term goals, 1/4 mile mostly, so if I'm ever itching for more power, saleen or whipple look to be the way to go...

Ok, just bought myself another bag of , so keep them coming!
Old 8/2/07, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rony1976
As far as the SCs, I wanted to understand the difference, because the Roush charger looked much smaller than the Saleen, so I now understand. Excuse my ignorance please.
Not the most technical information but a good start. Roush=Roots, Saleen=Twinscrew, Vortech=centrifugal and so on.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger5.htm

Funny thing is, they both produce the same amount of PSI, they both cost the same, but the poll clearly shows that Roush is not an option in anybody's mind! That's very interesting.
If I am not mistaken the Saleen is capable of being tuned to produce much more as where the Roush is not. The Roush can be tuned for more but that breaks the warranty but even if that wasn't the issue, you would be hard pressed to get much over 400 RWHP because of its size (1.6L??) without going into the motor. Here is one example that got up to 420.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/664887-post1.html

I was also going to ask about an upgrade of the pullie, but for an additional 15hp, that's clearly not an investment worth doing, right?
That depends. I had it done and it cost under $500 to do at the Dealer. The change was very noticable on the bottom end compared to the original tune. IMO the pulley from Roush doesn't do much, it's more the vaccum change and tune I think. Had it Dyno'd after the upgrade and it came in at 379 RWHP. If I wasn't worried about warranty (that's just me) I could have them toss on a CAI and custom tune me for less than 1K and get me over 400RWHP. For me, this was a worth while investment. This is my everyday driver and I can't afford to increase the chance of bending the motor up.

Long term goals, 1/4 mile mostly, so if I'm ever itching for more power, saleen or whipple look to be the way to go...
OK, well if I was in your situation (well I sort of am since my car had the Roush on it already) here are your choices.

1. Buy the upgrade from Roush and run it until the warranty is out. It's around $500 for some extra step and another 2 years of peice of mind.

2. If you don't care about the warranty, research some aftermarket setups for the Roush and tune it up over 400 RWHP (Probably cost you around 1k for the tuner/tune and CAI). For me this is a waste. I can't see spending around 1k for an extra 20+HP when I'd rather save that 1K twords a KB or a Whipple, hell even a Turbo.

3. Leave it the way it is and save the money that would be spent on the pulley upgrade twords your upgrade power (New SC, Turbo).

Ask around and talk to some hardcore drag racers to see what they like and why. A lot like the centrifugal blowers like Vortech or Paxton over a Twinscrew or Roots blower. Your car is fun as hell to drive now. If you don't have a lot of exp. at the quarter mile, run what you brung and learn how to race first, then worry about the power.
Old 8/2/07, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Be my guest. Even I got one at sticker, I'd probably have to sink another 10K-15K into it to "fix" it for my needs. And it would still be too heavy for me.
I dont know for sure, but wouldnt you just need a smaller pulley, good tune, and drag slicks to break into the 10 sec. 1/4 mile range. Ive seen plenty of videos on youtube of new GT:500 hundreds into the 10's with what SEEMS like minor mods. Not that this really applies for you since your car is already fast enough and can blow any GT:500 out of the water .
Old 8/2/07, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
I dont know for sure, but wouldnt you just need a smaller pulley, good tune, and drag slicks to break into the 10 sec. 1/4 mile range. Ive seen plenty of videos on youtube of new GT:500 hundreds into the 10's with what SEEMS like minor mods. Not that this really applies for you since your car is already fast enough and can blow any GT:500 out of the water .
For quarter mile, maybe, for road, the GT500 is not exactly the best at handling. Even the Roush Stage 3 is better when doing track. There's a video on Youtube, that's where I get that from. It's pretty cool to see both cars drifting around the corner. The driver talks about how poor handling is on the GT500, and how much smoother the Roush Stage 3 is...
Old 8/2/07, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

OK, well if I was in your situation (well I sort of am since my car had the Roush on it already) here are your choices.

1. Buy the upgrade from Roush and run it until the warranty is out. It's around $500 for some extra step and another 2 years of peice of mind.

You know, I might just do this! Not bad for $500. I mean, it's 20hp, right? How much do we pay for CAI+TUNE for a mere 30hp? Mid 600s when everything is said and done... $500 seems reasonable for a smaller pullie and the tune, and the factory warranty!
Old 8/2/07, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

For quarter mile, maybe, for road, the GT500 is not exactly the best at handling. Even the Roush Stage 3 is better when doing track. There's a video on Youtube, that's where I get that from. It's pretty cool to see both cars drifting around the corner. The driver talks about how poor handling is on the GT500, and how much smoother the Roush Stage 3 is...
I think that was done by that show Top Gear. I dont listen to anything those asses say. They have the most biased opinions on cars. They compare everything to British cars, and apparently (according to them) nothing is ever as good as a British made car.Anyway, back to the topic at hand. IMO, If your looking for maximum 1/4 mile performance, Ide go with either a Whipple or Kenne bell. From what you listed as choices, the best one to me would be the Saleen. For road courses, I dont think you should be worried about more horsepower.
Old 8/2/07, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Wasn't KB going out of business? Did I hear wrong?
Old 8/2/07, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't KB going out of business? Did I hear wrong?
You might be thinking of Kenny Brown... not Kenne Bell.
Old 8/2/07, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You know, I might just do this! Not bad for $500. I mean, it's 20hp, right? How much do we pay for CAI+TUNE for a mere 30hp? Mid 600s when everything is said and done... $500 seems reasonable for a smaller pullie and the tune, and the factory warranty!
Well, 20 HP is the area it claims to to jump it however I also have a Magnaflow Hi-Flo catted X on which claims to increase HP by 7 to 10 or something. But from the point you are at right now,

Roush pulley/tune (warranty maintained): Around $500, chew on them a little bit and i'm sure they will work with you. It's not hard to change the pulley and vacuum lines. The PCM is sent to Roush for the reflash

Non Roush pulley/tune/CAI/Tuner: Probably somewhere around $1k give or take. You would want to shop for the tuner more then the price with this option as the tune is what will make or break your engine. The only way I will do this option myself is if I decide I am going to keep the Roush on for good. Not going to waste 1K on some extra power when I will be chaging for more later..I don't need the extra 25-30HP that bad.

Old 8/3/07, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

You might be thinking of Kenny Brown... not Kenne Bell.
Guess I got the wrong KB!

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Well, 20 HP is the area it claims to to jump it however I also have a Magnaflow Hi-Flo catted X on which claims to increase HP by 7 to 10 or something. But from the point you are at right now,

Roush pulley/tune (warranty maintained): Around $500, chew on them a little bit and i'm sure they will work with you. It's not hard to change the pulley and vacuum lines. The PCM is sent to Roush for the reflash
I will defenitely look into it with this option, beacuse I'm not willing to spend 1K right now (besides, I'm getting married in a few months, if the future wifie finds out, I might not have the right equipment to reproduce afterwards, if ya'l know what I mean!)
Old 8/3/07, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Guess I got the wrong KB!
(besides, I'm getting married in a few months, if the future wifie finds out, I might not have the right equipment to reproduce afterwards, if ya'l know what I mean!)

I got a friend of mine that has a Magnacharger on his. His X pipe worked its way loose so when he found it thats all it was he told his wife that he bent a couple rods and needed some motor work. Now he is looking to build up the bottom and do some suspension work.....all under the radar.
Old 8/3/07, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
I think that was done by that show Top Gear. I dont listen to anything those asses say. They have the most biased opinions on cars. They compare everything to British cars, and apparently (according to them) nothing is ever as good as a British made car.Anyway, back to the topic at hand. IMO, If your looking for maximum 1/4 mile performance, Ide go with either a Whipple or Kenne bell. From what you listed as choices, the best one to me would be the Saleen. For road courses, I dont think you should be worried about more horsepower.

I think that might be because it's a British TV show? And that particular show demonstrated pretty clearly that the GT 500 didn't handle as well as the Roush. What was it, three seconds a lap?
Old 8/10/07, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Von Bek
I think that might be because it's a British TV show? And that particular show demonstrated pretty clearly that the GT 500 didn't handle as well as the Roush. What was it, three seconds a lap?
Will you argue that the GT500 has a fantastic handling compared to a modified GT or a Roush? Maybe someone that drove both would be better suited answer that... I would take someone's opinion that drove one back to back (I thought it was more than 3 seconds a lap, but then again I could've been watching a different clip...).
Old 8/10/07, 12:54 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Roush doesn't have the 5.4 Iron Block
and has their 'handling package'... hence why its a bit nimbler on the track.

But throw the FRPP handling kit on the GT500,
if it looses anything to the Roush in the corner, it'll make up in the straight

For modability, i mean the GT500 will have that...and you're not paying for the Roush name.

Roushcharger is good if you want a warranty, but you are still held back by the size of the S/C, and its design.
I'd go for a twinscrew, but that's just me.

If I'm not mistaken the GT500 Roushcharger is a whipple/twinscrew
Old 8/10/07, 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bah, I'm going Hellion
Old 8/10/07, 10:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
bah, I'm going Hellion
I have that 5 gallon jug sitting in my closet that is going to my "power upgrade" in 2 to 3 years. Hellion is on the list to investigate.
Old 8/11/07, 12:48 AM
GT Member

1. Kenne Bell
2. Whipple
3. Saleen
4. Procharger
5. Vortech
6. Paxton
7. Roushcharger

Just my opinion...

I might be missing something though so just bump it ahead of the Roush...