GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I have an exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/06, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok some of you might remember i did a frpp axle-back install just a coulpe of days ago, well all went well. I have driven about 300 miles on the new mufflers so far and noticed that they came unalligne, so i get back under there and umclamp mufflers, push them all the way back up and reclamp. As I'm doing this i think to my self if it loosened up that much it must have been leaking. So i tightented up the clamps much more than last time, like I'm about a second away from breaking the clamps [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] . Ok it is alligned good so i start the car up and check for any leaks. Sure enough on both sides there is a leak, not big, it is like some one blowing on my finger. I physically can not tighten them any more. This is how my clamps are: there is the end of the axle back (about and 1/4-1/8 inch) this little stopper thing that don w told me to cut off, then the clamp. I was thing i could go to a muffler shop and buy a set of these U clamps and put these on the other side of that metal stopper. Do you guys think that by havine two clamps on each side would eliminate the leak? I was thing about getting em welded but I would rather not have to go that far.

Also any of you others with stinger, how far does your tips stick out past the bumper? Mine stick out about an inch, personally i like that style, but as i was looking at other peoples picturers i noticed that many are flush with the bumper did I do something wrong? Keep in mind that metal stopper is all the way flush into the groove in the mufflers, so it can't go any deeper unless i grind that thing off.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just kind of flusted at this. Little things really bug the crap out of me lol [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 05:59 PM

You have Over tightened them.Now the pipe will be egg shaped and will leak.You will have to go to a muffler shop and get them expanded out again.Or ,Weld them
Old 4/24/06, 06:03 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikem @ April 24, 2006, 8:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You have Over tightened them.Now the pipe will be egg shaped and will leak.You will have to go to a muffler shop and get them expanded out again.Or ,Weld them
[/b][/quote]

Are you kidding me, there is no way that could of happened, if I dont tighten it down go they move around, but if i get it tight enough so they dont move there will be a leak. God, I must say this sucks.....

You really dont think that clamp would work, cause if it it is egg shaped on the other end them wouldn't that take care of it.
Old 4/24/06, 06:15 PM

Its been awhile since I did my Muflers but,Did you put back on all the hangers in the back?I am not familiar with the Ones you put on.I have the Magnaflows.Fit perfect.
Old 4/24/06, 06:31 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikem @ April 24, 2006, 8:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Its been awhile since I did my Muflers but,Did you put back on all the hangers in the back?I am not familiar with the Ones you put on.I have the Magnaflows.Fit perfect.
[/b][/quote]

Yes all the hangers are in right, the tips are alligned, the back of the axle pipes are all the way up, everything should be ok.
Old 4/24/06, 06:42 PM
V6 Member

I just went out to check and my pipe is in a little bit of an egg shap, but it isnt that bad, im talking milimeters, its the clamp that is weird, it isnt perfectliy round, there is it like a buckle in the band.

O ya the leak is in the same spot on both sides, it is opposite of the little metal buttons. Theere is like this cut in the pipe so when you tighten it down in will close up, but mine won't close all the way im guessing.

Also is a exhaust leak like this hurting my performance in any way?
Old 4/24/06, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cmm101 @ April 24, 2006, 5:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Also is a exhaust leak like this hurting my performance in any way?
[/b][/quote]
No...

And unless the leak really bothers you, forget about it.
Old 4/24/06, 07:14 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 24, 2006, 9:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
No...

And unless the leak really bothers you, forget about it.
[/b][/quote]

It's not the leak that bothers me, it was the idea that possibly this leak was hurting performance. If is isnt then I guess it really isnt that big of a deal.
Old 4/24/06, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

I installed mine and they do not leak.
Old 4/26/06, 05:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had the same problem with my Flows. They kept coming loose and each time I tightened down the clamp I got with the axlebacks it would eventually work its way loose. So one day I got fed up with it and put a breaker bar on the wrench and tightened that darn thing down as tight as it would go and it was still loose. Then I got pissed and cranked on it a couple more times and snapped the clamp in half...oops! I went and picked up a couple of U-clamps and the problem was solved.