GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I BEG U ALL TO FIX UR JLT! I ALMOST GOT KILLED

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TODAY BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM WITH THE JLT KIT. TODAY WHILE DRIVING I WENT OVER A REAL BIG BUMP ON THE ROAD. I THOUGHT THE CAR "BROKE IN HALF" . IT WAS THAT HARD OF A BANG. ANYWAY ABOUT 15 SECONDS LATER WHILE GOING ABOUT 55 I NOTICED A WIERD RESPONSE WITH THE THROTTLE RESPONSE.IT HAPPENED 4 MORE TIMES AND THOUGHT MAYBE IT WAS THE WEATHER. I WAS LOOKING TO SEE IF IT WAS WINDY AND IT REALLY WASNT. WHEN I LEFT THE HOUSE I DECIDE TO CHECK MY MPG AND WAS DOING 24.6 BUT AFTER THE BUMP I LOOKED DOWN AND AND NOTICED IT STARTED TO GO GO DOWN 23,22,21,20, 19 AND THOUGHT TO MYSELF WHAT THE F... WELL WHILE CRUISING ABOUT 80MPH MY CAR MADE A NOISE IN THE DASH AND IT SAID SAFE ENGINE MODE AND THE CAR JUST SHUT DOWN WITH NO POWER!!!!!!! A TRACTOR TRAILER WAS RIGHT ON MY hiney AND WAS BLOWING HIS HORN AND THANK GOD HE DECIDED TO PASS ME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY NOBODY WAS ON THE RIGHT LANE SO I CAN GO OFF THE ROAD. I WAS SHAKING KNOWING I COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED. I CALLED MY TUNER AND TOLD HIM MY PROBLEM AND HE TOLD ME TO PLUG IN THE SCT BUT I COULDNT BECAUSE OF THE TRAFFIC ON THE ROAD BEING SO CLOSE TO ME AND I COULDNT GET THE PLUG IN COMPUTER. WELL HE TOLD ME TO START THE CAR UP AGAIN AND IT DID. I HAD 1 MILE TO GO FOR THE NEXT EXIT AND MADE IT BUT AT THE LIGHT TO CROSS ANOTHER INTERSECTION THE CAR HAD A VERY HARD TIME TO CROSS THE ROAD. WHEN I FINALLY PULLED OVER I LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD AND THERE IT WAS !! THE JLT FELL OFF COMPLETELY AFTER 1 WEEK ON MY CAR!!! I PUT IT BACK ON AND CALLED MY TUNER AND JLT . JAY TOLD ME DID U SEE THE POST!! I TOLD HIM DIDNT GET THE CHANCE TO READ IT . MY TUNER SAID HE HEARD ABOUT THIS ISSUE W/ JLT. "GET IT FIX" HE SAID!! WELL PUT IT BACK ON FOR THE DRIVE BACK TO WORK AND WAS DRIVING SLOW THE WHOLE WAY BACK TRYING NOT TO HIT ANY BUMPS ON THE ROAD. WHEN I GOT BACK I PUT SOME GLUE ON IT TO HOLD IT IN PLACE. I WILL BUY A CLAMP TO HOLD THIS SO THERE IS NO WAY TO COME OFF AGAIN. SO I BEG U TO FIX YOUR JLT.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6/7/05, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats a JLT???
Old 6/7/05, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't believe after the crazy loud bang and throttle response problem, you then took it up to 80mph? The JLT thing is kinda crappy (I think Jay has posted a fix, though), but I think it was "Decision Making" that almost killed you...
Old 6/7/05, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dude, here's what you need to do.

Get a screwdriver and pop your CAPS key
Old 6/7/05, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by LordBritish@June 7, 2005, 5:49 PM
Dude, here's what you need to do.

Get a screwdriver and pop your CAPS key

Went there, but took it out. Felt like I'd have been having too much of a go!
Old 6/7/05, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by celticstanger@June 7, 2005, 7:46 PM
I can't believe after the crazy loud bang and throttle response problem, you then took it up to 80mph? The JLT thing is kinda crappy (I think Jay has posted a fix, though), but I think it was "Decision Making" that almost killed you...
In Mikes defense, I don't think it was his decision making that almost killed him. It was the fact that he was doing 80 BEFORE the JLT fell off, soon after the car shut down on him. The car shutting down AFTER the JLT fell off, with the 18 wheeler behind him, is what almost did him in.

Kind of scary that this is hapening to so many people and the only fix has been some hairspray (or is there another fix that I missed)?
Old 6/7/05, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by pittperson@June 7, 2005, 5:54 PM
In Mikes defense, I don't think it was his decision making that almost killed him. It was the fact that he was doing 80 BEFORE the JLT fell off, soon after the car shut down on him. The car shutting down AFTER the JLT fell off, with the 18 wheeler behind him, is what almost did him in.

Kind of scary that this is hapening to so many people and the only fix has been some hairspray (or is there another fix that I missed)?
If you re-read, you'll see he had problems before hitting 80. The incident with the truck was the last thing before the fail-safe mode kicked in and he could barely move the car.

Not flaming him, but when the thing made a loud bang and acted weird at 55mph, that's when I'd have pulled over and checked it out...
Old 6/7/05, 06:04 PM
GT Member

Why is everyone so quick to defend JLT? The fact is that the product has a huge design flaw and as this case illustrates, a potentially deadly one. Mike is just saying make sure you get it fixed if you have one.
Old 6/7/05, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by blk05stang@June 7, 2005, 6:07 PM
Why is everyone so quick to defend JLT? The fact is that the product has a huge design flaw and as this case illustrates, a potentially deadly one. Mike is just saying make sure you get it fixed if you have one.
Did someone defend JLT? They must've deleted that post, then.
Old 6/7/05, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

i personally thing JLT should offer some type of brace to hold the CAI, like ALL of the other CAI manu. have.
Old 6/7/05, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

By the way, here's the 'fix' thread.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=26215

Elvism, if I were you, I'd be concerned with what all you s u c k e d in without that filter on.
Old 6/7/05, 06:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Better yet don't install a cai system!
Old 6/7/05, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, you call me and my responce was "did you see my post?" ???
My how things have changed since this morning.

You told me and typed here, you hit a pot hole or bump so hard you though your car was going to -quote "break in half" un quote. I'm suprised the filter was the only thing to fall off the car.

I'm sorry for your situation today and expressed that on the phone.
But if blaming me is the answer then so be it.
Old 6/7/05, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Bottom line is the JLT is a cheap product with defects. Any other company that has defects to this nature would recall the product, and fix it under warranty. Instead JLT wants us to go purchase parts and fix the product ourselves. The JLT design flaw puts the engine at risk, and this could very easily lead to a lawsuit.
Old 6/7/05, 06:26 PM
V6 Member

Jay i think you are taking the wrong attitude to this entire situation. You shouldnt be getting defensive of a defect in your product. i understang he might have embellished the situation but the fact that something like that occured at all is inexcusable. You need to develop a brace and ship it to all the current owners and along with allthe future products. Thats as simple as it is. Maybe it could use the same bolt as the heat shield and come up to prop the entire unit. C'mon Jay, lets get this straight!
Old 6/7/05, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 7, 2005, 6:29 PM
Jay i think you are taking the wrong attitude to this entire situation. You shouldnt be getting defensive of a defect in your product. i understang he might have embellished the situation but the fact that something like that occured at all is inexcusable. You need to develop a brace and ship it to all the current owners and along with allthe future products. Thats as simple as it is. Maybe it could use the same bolt as the heat shield and come up to prop the entire unit. C'mon Jay, lets get this straight!
"...hello, Kettle? This is Pot. You're black..."
Old 6/7/05, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by celticstanger@June 7, 2005, 5:46 PM
the loud bang was the bump on the road when i went over it just like any other car would make.the throttle problem was a off and on thing. it was when i pushed on the gas it wont "go" like it would as much. i just figured it as the air pressure or some minor fault. if i felt that it was of great concern i would have pulled over long before my problem. the reason for my post is just to make sure this doesnt happen to anyone!!
Old 6/7/05, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Tucker@June 7, 2005, 6:22 PM
Wow, you call me and my responce was "did you see my post?" ???
My how things have changed since this morning.

You told me and typed here, you hit a pot hole or bump so hard you though your car was going to -quote "break in half" un quote. I'm suprised the filter was the only thing to fall off the car.

I'm sorry for your situation today and expressed that on the phone.
But if blaming me is the answer then so be it.
im not blaming you jay. just your kit needed to be 100% before production. thats all im saying
Old 6/7/05, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I cant believe you guys even bought this product. I went to the website and it looks very unprofessional. Not something I would put on my car if they paid me to. No offense guys but this thing does not look like a good product to me. It looks hand built and not from factory. I just dont trust products like that. What does this thing do anyways? Give you 10HP or something?
Old 6/7/05, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

I gotta say I'm really sorry for your mishap. I've had a close call myself once (brakes went out) and unless you've been in that situation it's hard to describe just how terrifying it is. Could'a done w/o the caps though

But I will also say I'm very thankful that you guys... ALL you guys have posted your experiences here. I was set to buy this particular CAI but thanks to you guys I will now look elsewhere.

I would agree with Eric... hitting a pothole shouldn't cause parts on the engine to come off-- period. I would also agree with Chad in that it very well could lead to a lawsuit if someone gets killed because of this product.

This should be recalled and fixed properly. It should be tested thoroughly so that it doesn't happen again. Things happen and new products are bound to have problems... but those problems should be corrected.

Unfortunately I think the damage has been done somewhat to JLT's reputation. At least for me anyway

Quick Reply: I BEG U ALL TO FIX UR JLT! I ALMOST GOT KILLED