GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How much handling improvement in 2010+?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/10, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much handling improvement in 2010+?

Ever since the 2010 GT Track Pack came out (and now the 2011) and everyone raved about the handling of that car, I've wondered just what it is that makes the car handle so great?

Has anyone driven both a 2010 Track pack and a 05-09 maybe with light suspension mods? The track pack seems to mostly be spring, dampers, bars, STB and wheels/tires. Is it possible to bring a 05-09 up to 10-11 standards, or is the additional chassis/steering improvements responsible for much of the handling?

I can live with being down on horsepower a bit, but I'd hate to think I'm missing out on a tremendous handling improvement.
Old 4/6/10, 10:31 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm not sure, but I think the track pack has electronics tied into the traction control that can't easily be replicated by the aftermarket.

But I could be wrong.
Old 4/6/10, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Although you won't be able to easily duplicate the traction control system, you can get the same driving dynamics. Ford just did a better job with spring/damper and bar selection. With 2011 they added a bit of chassis stiffening so that they could go to a stiffer spring without sacrificing ride quality.

Subframe connectors are available for the S197 chassis and will aid in stiffening up the chassis. From there you can literally put most, if not all the 2010/11 equipment on the car. Your handling should then be on par.

My suggestion however is to talk to Sam Strano about what you want your car to do. He'll help you get to those goals.
Old 4/6/10, 12:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Ever since the 2010 GT Track Pack came out (and now the 2011) and everyone raved about the handling of that car, I've wondered just what it is that makes the car handle so great?

Has anyone driven both a 2010 Track pack and a 05-09 maybe with light suspension mods? The track pack seems to mostly be spring, dampers, bars, STB and wheels/tires. Is it possible to bring a 05-09 up to 10-11 standards, or is the additional chassis/steering improvements responsible for much of the handling?

I can live with being down on horsepower a bit, but I'd hate to think I'm missing out on a tremendous handling improvement.
Well, edmunds said: "[The 2010 GT's] new front suspension struts come with bigger pistons for more precise damping control, the springs are stiffer and the anti roll bars are different."

And according to another site, "The 2011 Mustang GT features an enhanced rear lower control arm to add stiffness, improve powertrain NVH control and sharpen handling. A stiffer rear stabilizer bar for better on-center steering is also included. Stabilizer bar diameters, spring rates and dampers all have been tuned for improved dynamics."

So, though there is probably some electronics element worked into the mix, I would bet most improvements are just hardware upgrades. Sounds like if you go with better aftermarket shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, anti-roll bar, and LCA's, you won't be missing out on any handling gains. In fact, you can probably (and most likely will) have better handling than a stock 2011 GT. Other drivers, such as Sam Strano, have gotten their 05-09 Mustangs to handle better (according to lateral grip and other objective figures) than the 2011 GT. Will they drive the same? Probably not, I'm sure the steering will feel different, and maybe more confident, in a 2011, but you can't win them all. Also, consider that wheels and tires play a huge part in handling and the overall "feel" of the car. Maybe someone else has some more input though.
Old 4/6/10, 01:40 PM
GT Member

I have not driven a stock 10+ but would venture a guess that a modified 05+ suspension setup will be just as good or better, I know i like mine and have yet to be upset by it when paying attention to its feedback...any car will have its limits and people will want to go farther , I think this s197 platform handles better than any prev stang and better than many pricier sports cars out there.....and you can have the traction control , mine is turned off in the computer...
Old 4/6/10, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

the 2010 and 2011 Mustang shares the chassis with the 05-09 cars. The 2011 received further stiffening in the form of added bracing which can be done to the older cars as well. Given the same parts the cars will handle near identically.

While the numbers indicate that the 05-09 mustangs handle better than previous generations, I find that they don't do so in a confident manner. The S197 isn't as stable above 100mph as the previous SN series cars and it's damping ability with the stock shocks leaves much to be desired. Because the chassis is so much better and allows the suspension to work better, ford also outfitted the car with soft springs and sway bars which allows it to pitch and dive in a fashion that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence at the limit.

Although I'm certain that the skid-pad, and lateral acceleration numbers are better than that of the previous generation, the feeling that this S197 provides in comparison is a step backwards. Which is also why you now see track pack mustangs which address the IMHO "too soft" suspension.
Old 4/6/10, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have Ultralite springs and a set of STR.Ts waiting to go in... maybe time to look into some sway bars.
Old 4/6/10, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Thanks for the info guys. I have Ultralite springs and a set of STR.Ts waiting to go in... maybe time to look into some sway bars.
Get your new springs and dampers in first. You may find you love the way it handles afterwards. Make sure you get an alignment and you should also be looking at an adjustable panhard bar at the very least to get your rear axle centered again.

If you give any weight to what Sam Strano has to say about these cars, the BIGGEST problem is the crappy shocks. Just a shock.strut change alone is said to do wonders to how these cars behave.
Old 4/6/10, 06:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
the 2010 and 2011 Mustang shares the chassis with the 05-09 cars. The 2011 received further stiffening in the form of added bracing which can be done to the older cars as well. Given the same parts the cars will handle near identically.

While the numbers indicate that the 05-09 mustangs handle better than previous generations, I find that they don't do so in a confident manner. The S197 isn't as stable above 100mph as the previous SN series cars and it's damping ability with the stock shocks leaves much to be desired. Because the chassis is so much better and allows the suspension to work better, ford also outfitted the car with soft springs and sway bars which allows it to pitch and dive in a fashion that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence at the limit.

Although I'm certain that the skid-pad, and lateral acceleration numbers are better than that of the previous generation, the feeling that this S197 provides in comparison is a step backwards. Which is also why you now see track pack mustangs which address the IMHO "too soft" suspension.
you are entitled to your opinion but you are the minority... the issues you have with the 197 are easily fixed with a few aftermarket parts that are common upgrades. The "Track Pack" had been around for about 4 years as well as the drag pack...both are overpriced frpp kits that should have been on the car stock...but then if they were then ford would not have been able to throw them out afterward and make money on them...all part of the game. The high speed stability you are worried about seemed to be just as bad on the SN95 in my opinion...in stock form, all that is needed to fix any 100+ issues are a set of good shocks and struts...add some arms, and bigger bars with good bushings and links and its on a rail and stuck to the road.