GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How much camber is evil camber?

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/05 | 11:47 AM

hey

I'll start by saying that i've already searched and reread all the old threads involving lowering springs and the camber adjustments. I still have some questions...

I installed the Eibach kit about 2 weeks ago, I got the car aligned today.... here were the numbers:

Front Camber:
Left -1.5ยบ Right -1.4ยบ
Rear Camber:
Left .1ยบ Right .1ยบ

Cross Camber:
-.1ยบ

Front Toe:
Left -.03ยบ Right .06ยบ
Rear Toe:
Left .13ยบ Right .07ยบ

I don't know enough about the effects of camber to know what will be harmful. This is a daily driver with stock wheels and tires. I will be upgrading to 18" wheels and tires in the spring.

I know that negative camber can lead to better handling but more tire wear. Is it harmful to have negative camber in the front and not in the rear? I don't mind a little more tire wear if it will handle better and I don't have to purchase a camber adjustment kit.

My front camber numbers are only .2ยบ and .1ยบ off of the specified range, is this a big problem? I don't take the car to the track, probably never will. I just need someone to look at my situation and give me a more experienced opinion. I've tried to discern a solution from everyone else's situations, but it seems that a lot of factors are at work.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on what I should do.
Old 10/6/05 | 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

You can't adjust rear camber. A solid rear axle is rigid and has no adjustment. Those numbers are they most likely due to error in measurement equipment, or tiny factory differences. Large amounts of camber (+ or -) on a solid rear axle vehicle usually means a bent housing.
Old 10/6/05 | 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Well.... here's the blind leading the blind, and I may be saying things that you already know... but... here goes.
You can't adjust rear camber on a solid axle w/o shims, and you're just fine the way they are in the rear.
changing the camber in your front end will effect the tire wear, and having a negative camber in front will improve handling GIVEN CERTAIN FACTORS.. this negative camber could actually make your car handle signifigantly worse. The steering is designed for you car at stock height. By lowering the car, you throw off the geometry and will cause your car to severely understeer. You may want to look into offset rack bushings for your steering arms.
Here's some tech info on the geometry. Hopefully this will help you understand how changing the height of the car effects the dynamics of your suspension travel, which in turn effects your handling. Then based on this, you can look for additional parts to adjust for the changes you have made.
I had an '88 GT that handled like doo doo... it was dropped 2.5 inches, which I thought would make it drive so much better.... all I got was a kidney punch that handled like crap.... stock height Mustangs handed much better. Find out what Steeda or Saleen have that may correct for the changes you've already made.

hope this helps.
Old 10/6/05 | 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

Get some camber adjustment plates to bring it back within spec if you are worried about it.

My camber settings are -1.5, caster is +5.5 and toe .05 for both sides and I can handle my car at high speeds in tight turns with out getting out of control due to under/over steer. I dont think Im a great driver but I know how to let my rear end swing. My tires are being worn as expected.

-Dan
Old 10/7/05 | 12:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford spec for camber is +/- 1.30 (max)
Old 10/11/05 | 08:35 PM
I talk to cones.

From what I have read you can go up to around -3.00 Camber and have no ill effects on tire wear. It is the toe angle that really hurts the tires.