GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How to make over 300RWHP N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/06, 11:17 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 28, 2006, 1:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Acadian! That 383HP @ the flywheel N/A! WOW! I guess 400HP N/A for the 3V 4.6 is not a pipe-dream! That is sick power! Thats gonna have a fat curve as well, which means it would pull me real hard!

I think you should finish it up Acadian! Set the bar! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

My goal has always been 350 RWHP n/a. I set that goal a long time ago when I started my first Shelby GT350 tribute. I just think it'll be a nice touch to have a GT350 tribute car... and have the HP to match that historical number. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] That way when someone asks me what the GT350 means, I can tell them, "well, two reasons...". Plus (and some may argue with me on this one) I think for me personally 350 HP at the wheels is all I need. I know you can never have too much power, but I have a daily driver here and want enough power to take practically anyone on the street (if I wanted to, of course... not that I condone racing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] ) but also not have too much power so that I get into trouble. I will eventually be getting some performance cams... that should bring me up to the 350 RWHP number I am going for. Plus, with 4.10 gears, a torque converter, and possibly some suspension mods, I will be way into the 12's and will have a really nice street machine.
Old 3/1/06, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

check my sig...i have a couple bolt-ons and and 4.30s. i ran 12.97@110.8 with only 4.10s, jlt intake, pullies, and stock tires, that was with a dyno tune tho, of course. im pretty confident i got a really good motor tho [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

shifting at ~6300rpm and power shifting took .4sec off my time of shifting at 6k and letting off the pedal momentarily at shift points. wheel hop killed my 60', but i got LCAs that eliminated that (but haven been to track yet with em).

with my current setup and some street radials, hopin for ~12.40@112

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 28, 2006, 11:53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Acadian! That 383HP @ the flywheel N/A! WOW! I guess 400HP N/A for the 3V 4.6 is not a pipe-dream! That is sick power! Thats gonna have a fat curve as well, which means it would pull me real hard!

I think you should finish it up Acadian! Set the bar! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

<--390hp/407tq at flywheel [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/21.gif[/img] ...now add 50 to those numbers and make it at the wheels = this time next year
Old 3/1/06, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kluski @ March 1, 2006, 12:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
36?? Doesn't the door recommend to use 32?
[/b][/quote]

Yes but I thought with every extra inch in wheel diameter you add 2psi to the tire. Which I realize should be 34 but I went a little higher to be on the safe side.
Old 3/1/06, 12:51 PM
FR500 Member

Murray, your 275/40/18's are actually a half inch smaller in diameter than the stock 235/55/17's. I would definitely lower your tire pressure to 30-32 psi. That could actually be the problem with grip right there. At the track, guys actually let some air out to get the tires to stick better. The lower the psi, the more spread out the tire is... which means more tread impacts the ground, leading to better traction. Having the tires filled too high is going to reduce the size of its footprint in contact with the road. Try lowering it and see if that helps.
Old 3/1/06, 12:52 PM

Your stock tire diameter is 27.18 inches on the mustang.
You have 275/40/18 tires on the back now.
This is a tire height of 26.66 inches.
You have lost one-half inch in tire height. So exactly why would you put 36 lbs of air in these tires? This alone wolud kill your traction
These tires lower your gear ratio too.
Old 3/1/06, 01:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ February 28, 2006, 10:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have almost 325 RWHP n/a with the mods listed below. I have no issues with grip at launch. And that's on the street with street tires... not at the track. Once I get 4.10 gears, I may have to get some LCA's to help with traction. All I can think of is that you are launching at too high RPM's. With the minimal performance mods you have... and with you having LCA's... I have no clue why you are having issues keeping the back end straight.
[/b][/quote]

Do you have a dyno graph? 325rwhp sounds high considering the mods you have, especially for an Automatic which loses more thru the drivetrain. Me thinks you have a optimistic dyno.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ March 1, 2006, 1:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
check my sig...i have a couple bolt-ons and and 4.30s. i ran 12.97@110.8 with only 4.10s, jlt intake, pullies, and stock tires, that was with a dyno tune tho, of course. im pretty confident i got a really good motor tho [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

shifting at ~6300rpm and power shifting took .4sec off my time of shifting at 6k and letting off the pedal momentarily at shift points. wheel hop killed my 60', but i got LCAs that eliminated that (but haven been to track yet with em).

with my current setup and some street radials, hopin for ~12.40@112
<--390hp/407tq at flywheel [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/21.gif[/img] ...now add 50 to those numbers and make it at the wheels = this time next year
[/b][/quote]

I ran 13.0@108.4 with 3.55s and the mods listed below on the OEM Pirellis. I did trap 109.1 when I took the spare out. I did have a full tank of gas too, which adds roughly 80 lbs. I think I have a strong running car like yours. I can probably eek out more power with my current setup by getting a dyno tune, but that's not worth it IMO.

I am shooting for your goal too when I add LCA's, 4.10 FRPP Gear, and DR's. Hopefully cams will prove worthwile for us. I am hoping for roughly 40whp along with a "cam" tune. I think that would put a lot of us N/A guys into the high 11s with traction. I'd be happy with high 11's N/A [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/1/06, 01:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uberPony @ March 1, 2006, 2:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Your stock tire diameter is 27.18 inches on the mustang.
You have 275/40/18 tires on the back now.
This is a tire height of 26.66 inches.
You have lost one-half inch in tire height. So exactly why would you put 36 lbs of air in these tires? This alone wolud kill your traction
These tires lower your gear ratio too.
[/b][/quote]

Intresting, thanks for the info. I figured if Roush thought the tire size was good enough then it would be good for me. I guess I should have gone 255/45/18 all around to get the higher side wall. I'll make the change when the tires are toast this summer.
Old 3/1/06, 02:36 PM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 1, 2006, 2:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Do you have a dyno graph? 325rwhp sounds high considering the mods you have, especially for an Automatic which loses more thru the drivetrain. Me thinks you have a optimistic dyno.
[/b][/quote]

Jason, you are right... that is a bit optimistic. To be honest, I have never been on a dyno. That was from my g-timer. That's why I say "around" 325 because I am going off of that, and I know it's not 100% accurate. I'm waiting until I finish all my performance mods to get on a dyno... simply because I don't have a speed shop anywhere near me, and don't want to make the trip, or spend the money, more than once. Going off of other guy's dyno numbers who have an auto and similar mods, I can't have less than 320 HP at the wheels.
Old 3/1/06, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ March 1, 2006, 3:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Jason, you are right... that is a bit optimistic. To be honest, I have never been on a dyno. That was from my g-timer. That's why I say "around" 325 because I am going off of that, and I know it's not 100% accurate. I'm waiting until I finish all my performance mods to get on a dyno... simply because I don't have a speed shop anywhere near me, and don't want to make the trip, or spend the money, more than once. Going off of other guy's dyno numbers who have an auto and similar mods, I can't have less than 320 HP at the wheels.
[/b][/quote]

Ian, I would think right now you have around 280-285ish rwhp going from the mods in your sig. I see you are adding a 4.10 gear, which does sap a little power. I think you will need a cam to get near 320 to the wheels.

Below is a a dyno spreadsheet:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...e=post&id=45954
Old 3/1/06, 04:11 PM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 1, 2006, 3:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ian, I would think right now you have around 280-285ish rwhp going from the mods in your sig. I see you are adding a 4.10 gear, which does sap a little power. I think you will need a cam to get near 320 to the wheels.

[/b][/quote]

I hate to argue with you, since I have no dyno proof, but 280-285 is way too low IMO. I am judging the accuracy of the g-timer based on the fact that when I did a couple stock runs with it, they averaged 260 RWHP... which is on line with what most autos are doing bone stock. Now you say 280-285, but there is a guy (jvm051) on the spreadsheet you showed me who has 291RWHP on a Dynojet... and he is only running a 91 "canned" tune and the Flowmaster exhaust. So you mean to tell me that an axle-back exhaust (which has been proven to not gain much, if any) and a 91 octane canned tune is getting more HP than all of my mods and a custom 93 octane tune from Doug at bamachips?

Honestly though, you can't just "guess" at my HP judging by a few numbers on a graph. The g-timer is fairly accurate. I also know this because I used it before and after a couple of my mods, and when subtracting I got just about what the mods were supposed to get. So, although I am guessing at my numbers also... it is an educated guess. Just going out and saying I have 280-285 HP is a little off, don't you think?
Old 3/1/06, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ March 1, 2006, 5:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I hate to argue with you, since I have no dyno proof, but 280-285 is way too low IMO. I am judging the accuracy of the g-timer based on the fact that when I did a couple stock runs with it, they averaged 260 RWHP... which is on line with what most autos are doing bone stock. Now you say 280-285, but there is a guy on the spreadsheet you showed me (jvm051) who has 291RWHP on a Dynojet... and he is only running a 91 "canned" tune and the Flowmaster exhaust. So you mean to tell me that an axle-back exhaust (which has been proven to not gain much, if any) and a 91 octane canned tune is getting more HP than all of my mods and a custom 93 octane tune from Doug at bamachips?

Honestly though, you can't just "guess" at my HP judging by a few numbers on a graph. The g-timer is fairly accurate. I also know this because I used it before and after a couple of my mods, and when subtracting I got just about what the mods were supposed to get. So, although I am guessing at my numbers also... it is an educated guess. Just going out and saying I have 280-285 HP is a little off, don't you think?
[/b][/quote]

The G-Tech isn't very accurate from my experience with it. JVM is probably a 5 speed Manual and has a Air-Raid CAI and MD(?) Tune to accompany those FlowMasters. I can tell you that there is no way your car is making 320whp in it's current setup. Take a look at KungFuHampsters dyno, he has very similar mods to yours. I don't know what the Bama Chips tune does hp wise, but honestly I don't know much about it. If it's not done on a dyno specific to your car, I wouldn't think much. I think that by using the dynos in that chart, my guesstimate is in the ballpark.
Old 3/1/06, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, my auto trans car dynoed right around 285-290 the morning of the day the KB was installed: LT's + hiflow cats, H-pipe, SLPs, C&L CAI, BamaChips tune, 4.10s, e-H2O pump.
Old 3/1/06, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 1, 2006, 5:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
FWIW, mine auto trans car dynoed right around 285-290 the morning of the day the KB was installed: LT's + hiflow cats, H-pipe, SLPs, C&L CAI, BamaChips tune, 4.10s, e-H2O pump.
[/b][/quote]

I would think Ian's car would be right around yours. Maybe minus a few at the rear since you have LT's.
Old 3/1/06, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 1, 2006, 5:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
FWIW, my auto trans car dynoed right around 285-290 the morning of the day the KB was installed: LT's + hiflow cats, H-pipe, SLPs, C&L CAI, BamaChips tune, 4.10s, e-H2O pump.
[/b][/quote]

just want to add that with my setup im making 308rhp with almost the same setup. maybe with the pullies i could be in the 320rhp range.
Old 3/1/06, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 1, 2006, 12:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I ran 13.0@108.4 with 3.55s and the mods listed below on the OEM Pirellis. I did trap 109.1 when I took the spare out. I did have a full tank of gas too, which adds roughly 80 lbs. I think I have a strong running car like yours. I can probably eek out more power with my current setup by getting a dyno tune, but that's not worth it IMO.

I am shooting for your goal too when I add LCA's, 4.10 FRPP Gear, and DR's. Hopefully cams will prove worthwile for us. I am hoping for roughly 40whp along with a "cam" tune. I think that would put a lot of us N/A guys into the high 11s with traction. I'd be happy with high 11's N/A [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
with 11s in mind N/A, i would honestly go for 4.30s. they are not any harder to handle daily, and give a heck of a push back in ur seat, above and beyond 4.10s (which i had before). if ur gonna have DR, you should still have traction at the track...and btw, you can STILL hit 60mph in 2nd gear with 4.30s (can u say quick 0-60? haha). my runs were with spare out and 1/4 tank gas.
what did you dyno at (and what kind of dyno?)...cuz those are REALLY good times for stock gears. i ran 13.29@106.7 IIRC with just gears and canned predator tune (stock intake, no pullies, no tb)...gears give huge gains if you can get traction.
when did you receive ur stang? nov '04 here, maybe early ones had more in em [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 1, 2006, 1:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
they need to update that darn spreadsheet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
and with more users

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 1, 2006, 3:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
seems a little low (dynojet right?) even for auto. im still stuck on stock exhaust (tho stealth is fun [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ), and dont see the reason to use eh20 for daily use imo. what did you dyno stock? (assuming same dynomometer).
sry bout ur engine man, but now that i think about it, 130rwhp was decent gains off 8psi and bad cats. bigger better stronger next time tho
Old 3/1/06, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ March 1, 2006, 5:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
seems a little low (dynojet right?) even for auto. im still stuck on stock exhaust (tho stealth is fun [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ), and dont see the reason to use eh20 for daily use imo. what did you dyno stock? (assuming same dynomometer).
sry bout ur engine man, but now that i think about it, 130rwhp was decent gains off 8psi and bad cats. bigger better stronger next time tho[/b][/quote]

I'm one of those guys who really doesn't care about dyno numbers, I like timeslips much more. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] But, the only other dyno I had done was last summer (stock), and it was at 257 as I recall. But, it was a different dyno and it was done in 3rd gear (JBA Racing didn't seem to have a clue).

Oh, the eH2O pump is a great mod for the track! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Especially with a remote fan switch.

And thanks for the condolences... we will rise from the ashes someday. haha
Old 3/1/06, 08:14 PM
FR500 Member

All this talk is making me want to go get on a dyno. Not really to prove any point... just because I want to know what I'm working with here. Now I am starting to doubt myself.
Old 3/1/06, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I have a dyno in my future as well. There's going to be a dyno-day somewhere around here in June that'll knock about $30 off a typical dyno run. Hope I have the patience to get there. I'm debating getting a C&L racer/sct2 from brenspeed or a JLT/sct2 from bamachips. [after my backup/bad weather car, of course]
Old 3/1/06, 11:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ March 1, 2006, 7:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
with 11s in mind N/A, i would honestly go for 4.30s. they are not any harder to handle daily, and give a heck of a push back in ur seat, above and beyond 4.10s (which i had before). if ur gonna have DR, you should still have traction at the track...and btw, you can STILL hit 60mph in 2nd gear with 4.30s (can u say quick 0-60? haha). my runs were with spare out and 1/4 tank gas.
what did you dyno at (and what kind of dyno?)...cuz those are REALLY good times for stock gears. i ran 13.29@106.7 IIRC with just gears and canned predator tune (stock intake, no pullies, no tb)...gears give huge gains if you can get traction.
when did you receive ur stang? nov '04 here, maybe early ones had more in em [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I don't want 4.10's simply because I will probably run a power adder once I reach my N/A goal. Plus this is my daily driver and I do like to get on it from time to time. I wouldn't get much traction with that much gear running street tires. I've never dynoed my car, rather I can judge that it's making pretty good power by my traps. I will dyno the car when I need a custom dyno tune, for say Cams [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] I recieved my car in March of 2005. I honestly think that once cams come out and there are good tunes, there will be a lot more 11 second N/A GT's. Heck, if I was running slicks, I could be darn near mid 12s with my current setup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 1, 2006, 8:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm one of those guys who really doesn't care about dyno numbers, I like timeslips much more. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] But, the only other dyno I had done was last summer (stock), and it was at 257 as I recall. But, it was a different dyno and it was done in 3rd gear (JBA Racing didn't seem to have a clue).

Oh, the eH2O pump is a great mod for the track! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Especially with a remote fan switch.

And thanks for the condolences... we will rise from the ashes someday. haha
[/b][/quote]

I am the same way to me. The track is my dyno. A good indicator of power is trap speed and that's what I strive for. ET's are all about traction, which is easy to achieve in these cars.
Old 3/2/06, 05:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

A couple notes since I last posted. I ordered a JLT2 CAI from Bamachips and Steeda UDP's. I dropped the tire pressure today to 32 and it hooks up much better.

One question though is there anything wrong with me going with a 275/40/18? I figured since Roush went with them there has to be a good reason for it. I know I'll probably get the 255/45/18 in front and 285/40/18 in the rear next time.