GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How do i hook up?/Traction Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/05, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone got any ideas on what to do for traction...mainly on street? I want to keep rear tires the same height,or even a little taller than stock. How do adjustable LCA's or upper third link help? What have you done?
Old 10/27/05, 08:32 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to hook up, start by telling her she's pretty

Then show her your adjustable lower control arms
Old 10/27/05, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol...Dustin
a better set of tires to start. For the street, Nitto's. You should be taking it to the track anyways.
If you've lowered your car, you need to make sure your pinion angle is
-3 degrees. This is adjusted by your upper third link.
Old 10/27/05, 09:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@October 27, 2005, 9:56 PM
lol...Dustin
a better set of tires to start. For the street, Nitto's. You should be taking it to the track anyways.
I agree with tires to start with, but not Nitto's. Nitto makes a pooty tire IMO(555Rs and RII's are the only decent tires they make). You can find a sticker and better performing tire for the same price. Grassroot's Motorsports did a test of all "Max" performance summer tires and R compounds. Try to find the article online; it's a good resource.
Old 10/27/05, 10:33 PM

The only reason I say Nitto's is from my research, nitto's wear the best, then BGF's, then M/T. As far as hooking up, it's the reverse. I've never run Nitto's, so I can't speak first hand.
Old 10/28/05, 08:39 AM
GT Member

I had nitto 555's on my previous car ( an automatic 2003 mustang GT w/3.73's). The car hooked MUCH better than with the stockers, which were a goodyear preformance tire.
Old 10/28/05, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@October 27, 2005, 9:56 PM
lol...Dustin
I've lowered my stang... how do I go about adjusting my pinion angle?
Old 10/28/05, 11:25 PM

An upper third link. BMR fabrication, Steeda, Metco make them. The only hard thing about adjusting them is that the car has to be sitting on a level surface and suspension loaded as the car sits normally (as opposed to jacked up). It's A LOT easier on a drive-on car lift. You need an angle finder as well. You find the angle of the pinion gear (not the bottom of the differential, b/c it is not absolutely parallel to the pinion gear shaft). You also find the angle of the rear driveshaft. The difference is your pinion angle. -3 is ideal for this car with a 2 piece driveshaft. Ex. the pinion gear is 1 and the driveshaft is -4. You shorten or lengthen the upper third link to get this number.
If you've lowered your car, the 1st thing you should do is get a pair of BMR lower control arm relocation brackets. That should bring you very close to your original pinion angle. The center carrier bearing for the driveshaft is supported by the body as well as the tranny crossmember. You've shortened your springs which brings the axle closer to the body. This will cause the front of the differential or pinion to point more up or positive. When you launch the car, the pinion angle gets into the positive. The idea is to have your driveline as straight as possible so that all the power is being transferred 100% and safely. The two piece driveshaft and pinion gear will rotate easier straight then with a bend in it. The relocation brackets lower the front of the LCA's causing the pinion/differential to point more downwards-the way it was originally. The reason for the -3 degrees is for when you launch the car, the pinion rolls upwards into the 0 degree zone.
The attached pdf is detail instructions on adjusting the pinion angle. Hope this helps.