GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How about a 303RWHP Auto? BamaChips Cam dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/06, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Don W nailed it... its too bad thought cause I have been waiting to get some cams but yeah for that amount of money I really thought it would have produced more hp.. either way Doug is the man for getting us this info.
Old 8/31/06, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
IMO, I think a lot of people were assuming (hoping?) that swapping cams would yield 40-50 rwhp or more. And when reality reared its head and the numbers weren't quite what they wanted to see, then maybe a few lost interest. Especially knowing that it is not a cheap or simple mod. I, for one, will not be doing a cam swap until I can get one that is specifically designed for my exact engine combination.
Are you speaking about anyone in particular...lol? I was one of the few that were hopelessly optimistic that this mod would yield extrordinary results. I bumped the thread practically every week anticipating unrealistic results. The mod is pretty expensive...especially if you are trying to pull out the extra horses to approach 350-375 RWHP (Heads, cams, LTs, etc). A S/C or turbo really is the best bang for the buck. So I'm back to square one ....yet again.
Don't get me wrong....I love the sound of a lopey cam (I know the Comp cams don't have a lot of overlap) but $2000 for what ends up being a sound mod (kinda like axle-backs) is too rich for my blood. I just don't have the extra cash to dump into mods like that.
I wish Ford would step up and produce a Boss/Mach that would run with a C6...but that is another thread entirely.
Old 8/31/06, 06:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
I think the lack of popularity of this thread is because pretty much all of the "serious" modders who would spend this kind of money have moved onto forums more geared towards what they are intrested in. I know this is the case for a LOT of people since the change in forum software here. I for one, only come here to the GT Tech forum, and this thread has pretty much been my only reason. This place isnt what it was a year ago.
could you tell me what forums ? I too only visit the GT tech page and am looking for better forums more geared towards drag racing
Old 8/31/06, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 to Rafael... big kudos to Doug for stepping out and gettin' 'er done.

And Frank, I wasn't aiming my comment at anyone. It was just my gut feel. Hey, I wanted to see cams make big power too, so add me to the disappointed club. The one thing I don't think has been seriously tested yet is what these cams might do on a good P&P head. Maybe the stock head is too restrictive in a couple areas (like the shroud around the valves in the combustion chamber) to really maximize the potential of the cam. I don't really know for sure.

But one thing I do know, is that I already have verrrry nice P&P heads and I have custom pistons that already have valve reliefs cut in them to allow for a big lift cam. So my engine is totally ready when the day arrives that I discover the perfect cams for my car.
Old 8/31/06, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know you guys are sick of hearing about my cams.... but cannuk power made good power with the BBR P&P heads, cams and LTs....... we have done our dynos on our own, yet you guys still pretend like the BBR stuff doesnt exist..... I guess I just dont get it. I understand you personally not wanting to do business with them due to the drama from last year, but now at least 2 seperate people who live on opposite sides of the continent, both completely independant from BBR have gotten dyno sheets, and still nobody even mentions it when the cam/head convo comes up.
Old 8/31/06, 08:30 PM

Too many people letting others make decisions for them. I bought their cams, installed them, and love the sound and performance they have. Just as Dougs cams these pull very hard after 3500rpm until they reach the rev limit.Just as Dougs,he did not make them, he had them ground for him by Comp as BBR had theirs ground by a cam shop.I tried to have my stock cams ground to BBR specs because i had them at the time by a shop in Vancouver,B.C. who grinds race cams but could not get a cam profile at the time i wanted mine done so i bought BBRs cams.Had i got them done there and said that i got cams from so and so racing i am the sure the response on my cams would be different.From what i remember and i dont really care is that the Johnny Z car made 400hp with bolt ons and not on cams and heads alone.I believe that had i dynoed my car on a dynojet and not a mustang dyno and my tuner not refuse to custom tune my car, because he felt my current tune is safe and didnt want to spend the time searching for more hp because the car is going turbo in a couple of weeks i could of achieved around 380hp like their video.Those who are to scared to believe that these are great cams will always tell others negative things.I think that if you find a mod you want and take the time to talk to people who have done that mod and not ask those that havent. Why listen to people about mods that they dont have or want.I think throttle bodies are a waste of money so if you ask me i will tell you they are crap but if you ask someone with one they may love it so dont listen to me then.I will never say anything negative about BBRs cams because i have no problems with them if i bought another mustang i would buy another set. Jordan ....glub glub glub
Old 8/31/06, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

EJ and Canuck,
Part of the reason that BBR cams are not well recieved is because of all the negative info put out over the net throughout the past year. I appreciate that you guys don't have any "stake" in BBR and independently reported your results. You are obviously happy with the results, and should be.
Another reason that they are not part of this conversation is that this is Doug's thread and he already requested not to discuss other cams results.
My point that these are an expensive mod (if they are maximized). Cams + install ~ $2000, P&P heads ~$2500-3000 + install, LTs ~ $900 + install = so you're at about $5k for 350-375 RWHP whereas most S/C or turbos put you well over 400RWHP for nearly the same amount of money. So for the budget minded guy there are better options. We just have to live without that wicked GLUB.. Glub!
Old 8/31/06, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Add me to the very few who expected to see low results from an expensive shaft swap. Thanks for stepping up Doug and posting the results even if they are lackluster for the dreaming public.

Oh, and to BBR and their high hp claims, always has and always will be a whole lot of...

-Dan
Old 8/31/06, 10:12 PM

I wasnt trying to attack Dougs thread..so i am sorry Doug...I was just going to say as someone who has aftermarket cams that i like the results that i got. As for those who can claim which mods are lacklaster i guess we should all.
Old 8/31/06, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess everybody was let down from the gains from cams alone...

but then as Doug said.... they arent meant to be the only mod on the car....

and I only brought this up is because don said cams hadnt been tested on a 'good' ported head.... and I know he had to have read canuk's thread on when he got his car dynoed with the BBR heads n cams, so I guess it just rubbed me the wrong day.

But Don, no hard feelings.... I have had a really hard week, and been letting my self get irritated way to easily. We just moved back in, school started full swing, I have 16 units, and will be working 25+ hours a week it looks like, so I havent been in the greatest mood.
Old 9/1/06, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

ha ha funny one Dan.. but I dont know about all of you but I never took anything as attacking Doug.. hey.. like Canuck said.. he didnt make them!! but yeah $2000.00 for a few extra HP... probably not the best.. hey maybe once Salma Hayeck becomes my sugar mamma I wont need to worry about $$$!!! them bring on the GLUB!! ha ha ha.....
Old 9/1/06, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
and I only brought this up is because don said cams hadnt been tested on a 'good' ported head.... and I know he had to have read canuk's thread on when he got his car dynoed with the BBR heads n cams, so I guess it just rubbed me the wrong day.
Actually, I have so little respect for BBR, that I totally disregard anything related to them.
Old 9/13/06, 07:31 PM
GT Member

HI Doug,

I don't come here since the board got so devided up !!! I can't navigate it !!

BUT I was gald to find your post and see the effort you put towards getting this info out.

Thank you for your work,
Russ
Old 9/14/06, 03:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rakkassan34
could you tell me what forums ? I too only visit the GT tech page and am looking for better forums more geared towards drag racing
+1 on that.
Old 10/17/06, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Is there going to be a possibility of getting these cams installed and then you sending a "canned tune" to be downloaded/installed for a particular mod list including the cams?

Offtopic DON W- In the open headers video in your, what size rear tires were your running? They give it that awesome 'Steam Roller' look.
Old 10/17/06, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Is there going to be a possibility of getting these cams installed and then you sending a "canned tune" to be downloaded/installed for a particular mod list including the cams?

Offtopic DON W- In the open headers video in your, what size rear tires were your running? They give it that awesome 'Steam Roller' look.
Sure can, this is why I was waiting for me to get dynotuned before I made my post. These cams are very easy to tune as they dont require a 7 hour tuning session. THey also come with my tunes to begin from.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 10/17/06, 10:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by don_w
Actually, I have so little respect for BBR, that I totally disregard anything related to them.
+1 Folks who have been lurking in the performance section for the last 3 years understand this.
Last I heard, and the info may be wrong, because I usually skip over anything when BBR is mentioned, their cams were regrinds? and dont use the variable cam timing?
In any case when I hear BBR, I just back off.
Old 12/2/06, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Sure can, this is why I was waiting for me to get dynotuned before I made my post. These cams are very easy to tune as they dont require a 7 hour tuning session. THey also come with my tunes to begin from.

Thanks, Doug.
Doug,

Can your designed Comp Cam grind be tuned using Diablo tuning? I am very interested in The BamaChips Grind. Is this custom grind fall between the stage III and IV? I am staying N/A and perhaps go w/ p/p heads.

Thanks
Old 12/3/06, 12:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Doug you are just going to have to give these Cafe Racers a John Force grind so they can tell everyone how bad it sounds at idle. It does not seem to matter how fast it is in the quarter. It just has to sound bad. LMAO. OK I am waiting on another TB posting. Make it good so I can sell my like new one that is eye candy as I need some line lock $$$.
Old 12/3/06, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mongoose
Doug you are just going to have to give these Cafe Racers a John Force grind so they can tell everyone how bad it sounds at idle. It does not seem to matter how fast it is in the quarter. It just has to sound bad. LMAO. OK I am waiting on another TB posting. Make it good so I can sell my like new one that is eye candy as I need some line lock $$$.
Bill
You can always use the TB for a paper weight.

I'm going to hold off on everything until Doug installs/tests the new high rise intake on his Rouch. Maybe in Jan or Feb!

I think the new intake will be the best bang for the buck.

Still waiting on the SCT Live Wire. Me and the guys at the shop were looking for a spot to install the 02 bung before the cat, man its going to be tight. They seem to believe that there is already an unused bung somewhere on one of the exhaust manifolds. Who knows.

Thanks for keeping this post alive

Quick Reply: How about a 303RWHP Auto? BamaChips Cam dyno...