GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How about a 303RWHP Auto? BamaChips Cam dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/06, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emperorjordan
what, are you on crack? I made the exact same power (plus a little more tq, but then im a manual) with the BBR cams. how exactly am I "blown away"? I also have an extremely nasty idle to boot. did I miss something? or are these no better than the BBR cams, minus the idle.
Like someone else said, he's making the power in an auto. And we all know about BBR's 400rwhp N/A cam car.
Old 8/28/06, 04:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Error404
That is typical of cam swaps, they usually shift the powerband around.
I'm aware of how cams work. I find this exchange in the powerband unacceptable in such a small motor used as a daily driver.

Unfortunately, swaps such as this require further changes to maximize performance.

It's too bad people are swept up in the 'bad ***' cam sound only to net 300 rwhp.

For the cost, I'd rather install a blower and have a smooth idle and more power.
Old 8/28/06, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Error404
if you made the same exact power, and you have a manual, then you didn't gain as much, auto's loose more power through the transmission. {/devils advocate}

He had the converter locked during the dyno
Old 8/28/06, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by canuck power
He had the converter locked during the dyno
not quite sure what that means, I'm guessing it helps out?
Old 8/28/06, 10:26 AM

By locking the converter all the power goes to the wheels and none is wasted. On a manual there is always some slippage.With out locking the converter the number wouldnt be as high from my understanding.
Old 8/28/06, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

also, I made a bit more torq.... which I also think is part of the manual/auto difference. The way I see it, these cams are **** close in gains, but the BBR have a nasty idle to boot.

and redbullit, like Doug said.... cams arent the only mod you should do.... just because we are around 300rwhp wiht cams alone, doesnt mean im suddenly going to stop. I will put my exhaust back on, and then continue with the plans for the Hellion Turbo, and supporting mods. So I am swept up by the "badass sound" and I love it, but I plan to net a bit more than 300rwhp when im "done".
Old 8/28/06, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

also, I made a bit more torq.... which I also think is part of the manual/auto difference. The way I see it, these cams are **** close in gains, but the BBR have a nasty idle to boot.

and redbullit, like Doug said.... cams arent the only mod you should do.... just because we are around 300rwhp wiht cams alone, doesnt mean im suddenly going to stop. I will put my exhaust back on, and then continue with the plans for the Hellion Turbo, and supporting mods. So I am swept up by the "badass sound" and I love it, but I plan to net a bit more than 300rwhp when im "done".
Not saying that you stopping, just saying for the cost, the gains are minimal.
Old 8/28/06, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

If you plan on installing a turbo you'd be better off with turbo-specific cams or even the stock cams. Turbos don't like high overlap, long duration cams.
Old 8/28/06, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Doug,
What exactly do you mean you were "kinda limited" by your aftermarket TB? I am on the verge of ordering one from Granatelli. Is this what you have?
Old 8/28/06, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
If you plan on installing a turbo you'd be better off with turbo-specific cams or even the stock cams. Turbos don't like high overlap, long duration cams.
actually, no these cams were designed with turbos in mind. Canuk Power has done extensive research and talked to the biggest turbo manufactures in the country, and they think the cams will work great with the turbo. He is getting the 72mm hellion kit, and I think I will follow in his footsteps by the beginning of next year.
Old 8/28/06, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
Doug,
What exactly do you mean you were "kinda limited" by your aftermarket TB? I am on the verge of ordering one from Granatelli. Is this what you have?

Kinda limited meaning that the dang TB plates were sticking and screwing up everytime I loaded a tune and I didn't know what it was. One out of 5 tunes loaded with start and run and then finally it wouldn't run at all. If it's a billet Tb I wouldn't recommend it. IF I go with another TB it will be a one peice design like that of the stocker or I think BBk. For now I'm happy to use my stock one as my TB never made any Hp difference on my car or two others.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/29/06, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the write up on the results. Is there any way to post a sound file for the cams? Also, wouldn't headers make a good incremental gain with the cams? I'd think that would be the next logical mod.
Old 8/31/06, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

is it just me or does it seem like this thread isnt getting all the attention you would have thought? For months everyone here was eagerly waiting for the cams and now that Doug has installed them...it doesnt seem like that many people are giving their "2 cents"... I for one cant wait to hear a sound clip... and come next year its CAMS for me baby!!
Old 8/31/06, 07:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by superman112
is it just me or does it seem like this thread isnt getting all the attention you would have thought? For months everyone here was eagerly waiting for the cams and now that Doug has installed them...it doesnt seem like that many people are giving their "2 cents"... I for one cant wait to hear a sound clip... and come next year its CAMS for me baby!!

Tell me about it, ahhahaaa...

As for the Automatic no loosing any power because of the locked converter you aren't fully correct there. You can still factor in atleast 20-25% loss from a auto because you still have to go through the converter and many various clutch packs to get to the rear wheels. The manual is less at 15-20% loss as they show much more Hp to the wheels normally. On the same day I did my tune I did a manual that made 290rwhp and 302 rwtq from a K&N and my tune and that's it.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/31/06, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by red454
Well, for a daily driver - all I am interested in is a nice lopey, choppy idle. Even if there was little to no performance gain, I would swap just for that sweet sound of a wild cam...

If I could get that sound into my 05...

ditto.....

where do i sign up?
Old 8/31/06, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by superman112
I hear ya, everyone kept bugging Doug to put the cams in and he bust's his but to do so just to see a dying post. I'm reading Doug and next year when I get back from Iraq I'll be looking to put new cams in

To get that rough idle I guess I'll just pull a couple of plug wires lol
Old 8/31/06, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds great man, let us know when you get that rough idle with one of your packages!
Old 8/31/06, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, I think a lot of people were assuming (hoping?) that swapping cams would yield 40-50 rwhp or more. And when reality reared its head and the numbers weren't quite what they wanted to see, then maybe a few lost interest. Especially knowing that it is not a cheap or simple mod. I, for one, will not be doing a cam swap until I can get one that is specifically designed for my exact engine combination.
Old 8/31/06, 04:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by don_w
IMO, I think a lot of people were assuming (hoping?) that swapping cams would yield 40-50 rwhp or more. And when reality reared its head and the numbers weren't quite what they wanted to see, then maybe a few lost interest. Especially knowing that it is not a cheap or simple mod. I, for one, will not be doing a cam swap until I can get one that is specifically designed for my exact engine combination.
I agree. I was expecting a lot more. I guess I am going to have to go a different route, now.
Old 8/31/06, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the lack of popularity of this thread is because pretty much all of the "serious" modders who would spend this kind of money have moved onto forums more geared towards what they are intrested in. I know this is the case for a LOT of people since the change in forum software here. I for one, only come here to the GT Tech forum, and this thread has pretty much been my only reason. This place isnt what it was a year ago.

Quick Reply: How about a 303RWHP Auto? BamaChips Cam dyno...