GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

at home engine tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/13, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool at home engine tuners

dont be hatin if this is a repeat thread, i searched and could not find another haha. I am looking to begin modding my 2006 GT. Shes a 5 speed and the 1 previous owner put some flomasters on her. I am not sure as the the extent of exhaust work that has been done. I have only had her a week and have not really had time to get under and take a look. after looking around i think that i am going to buy a tuner as the first mod-ish purchase. if you guys disagree, what should be the first toy i should buy?

about the tuners tho, i have never bought one before so i have no idea what to look for. I have been doin some research but what tuners do you guys like for an 06 GT 5 speed?

-Sean
Old 10/30/13, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally wouldn't use anything other then SCT on this platform, for the entry level tuner I would use American Muscle.
Old 10/30/13, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Get the SCT tuner as SCT is the software most tuners use. The tuner isn't any good without a tune to load. If you get one from AM you get tunes for life. http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3...ash-tuner.html

Earl
Old 10/30/13, 10:25 AM

i have been looking at american muscle. i still have a few questions tho. first off what is the SCT? and let me just make sure i understand this haha, once i buy a tuner, i then need to buy the tunes online and load them onto the tuner, then i plug the tuner into the stang and upload it? i know some come with free tunes and american muscle offer the for tunes for life so i am not too worried about buying the tunes, i am just making sure i know how these puppies work haha. Thanks for the help!
Old 10/30/13, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TyeDyE
i have been looking at american muscle. i still have a few questions tho. first off what is the SCT? and let me just make sure i understand this haha, once i buy a tuner, i then need to buy the tunes online and load them onto the tuner, then i plug the tuner into the stang and upload it? i know some come with free tunes and american muscle offer the for tunes for life so i am not too worried about buying the tunes, i am just making sure i know how these puppies work haha. Thanks for the help!
They come pre-laoded, plug it into the OBD port and it'll do it all for you.
Old 10/30/13, 10:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You've got the process correct, and a tune should definitely be the first mod. SCT is the company that makes the tuning device. As far as tunes go...I'm happy with my American Muscle tunes for life. But if I could do it again, I'd go with Steeda since they now offer tunes for life as well.
Old 10/30/13, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I'm happy with my American Muscle tunes for life. But if I could do it again, I'd go with Steeda since they now offer tunes for life as well.

what would make you choose the steeda over the bama backed american muscle?
Old 10/30/13, 12:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

what would make you choose the steeda over the bama backed american muscle?
Since they actually race and test their products, I trust their knowledge over AM.
Old 10/30/13, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since they actually race and test their products, I trust their knowledge over AM.
You do understand they don't use the canned tunes in there race cars...correct?

They dial the car within a safe range, put both tunes in the car I bet the difference you see is MINOR if at all....
Old 10/30/13, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by slostang
You do understand they don't use the canned tunes in there race cars...correct?

They dial the car within a safe range, put both tunes in the car I bet the difference you see is MINOR if at all....
I'm aware of that. I'm sure the difference between any tuners is very minimal. But when it comes to performance, I'd consult with Steeda over AM.

I'm perfectly happy with my AM tunes. But if Steeda had offered free tunes for life when I was in the market for it, I'd have gone with Steeda instead.
Old 10/30/13, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm aware of that. I'm sure the difference between any tuners is very minimal. But when it comes to performance, I'd consult with Steeda over AM.

I'm perfectly happy with my AM tunes. But if Steeda had offered free tunes for life when I was in the market for it, I'd have gone with Steeda instead.
If I wanted true performance I wouldn't choose either

But that is another topic as a whole.
Old 10/30/13, 04:08 PM

If I wanted true performance I wouldn't choose either

But that is another topic as a whole.
well if u wanted true performance, what would u choose?
Old 10/30/13, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think maybe he was referring to a dyno tune, which would be the way to go if you want to spend the money.

Steeda is a performance oriented company, whereas AM is like the Wal-Mart of Mustang mods...they've got a little bit of everything, but don't really specialize in anything. I hate wording it like that, cuz I don't mean it in a negative way at all, but I think it's an accurate description.
Old 10/30/13, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Canned tunes are just that, tunes made for a certain set of mods that will work on all cars. Thus they are very safe and not what you would call cutting edge. The only way to get the most out of your car, regardless of the mods, is to have a custom dyno tune done by a tuner that knows what he is doing. There are a lot of tuners out there that don't really know what they are doing. They bought the tuning package and took a course and call themselves a tuner.

There are also guys that will do a custom tune remotely, they send you a tune and you data log parameters and send them the results. They will then modify the tune and send you a new one again and again until the tuner is satisfied. This is harder then doing it on the dyno but if you don't have anyone close that you trust to tune the car it's a great way to go.

Earl
Old 10/31/13, 05:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had my done at Revolution, hours of beating and banging on the dyno and now the car spins though 3rd, runs 11's and has trapped a 120+ mph.

But for just "getting your feet wet" I think American Muscle is the way to go.
Old 10/31/13, 05:49 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Another name I'll throw out there is Brenspeed. They have stores in Indiana and Texas. Had my custom Dyno tune at the Indiana store. They work only with late model Mustangs and some F-150 and other Ford Trucks. They do Drag race their cars for testing. Not saying they are any better, just another choice.

http://www.brenspeed.com/2011-mustan...rs-sct-x3.html
Old 10/31/13, 12:01 PM

Talking

I had my done at Revolution, hours of beating and banging on the dyno and now the car spins though 3rd, runs 11's and has trapped a 120+ mph.

But for just "getting your feet wet" I think American Muscle is the way to go.
i thought u were hinting at a dyno haha. Im just going to pick up a plug in tuner for now. just have to decide between the american muscle and the steeda. I know it doesnt matter too much but they are $400 so i just want to make sure im getting the most quality one.
Old 10/31/13, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

i thought u were hinting at a dyno haha. Im just going to pick up a plug in tuner for now. just have to decide between the american muscle and the steeda. I know it doesnt matter too much but they are $400 so i just want to make sure im getting the most quality one.
You will be very happy with both.