GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

High-flow cats worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/07, 09:14 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Believe me, if the numbers were done for a magazine lol. I'd be the last person on the face of this earth, to consider them as trustworthy.

Other than the cold air shootout, that was done for 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords a couple of years ago. I pretty much take magazine articles with a grain of salt.

As for Anderson's test results. they were taken directly from his website, Steve..

Anyway, If either yourself, or anyone else may be interested in reading over his shootout results..Just go to his home webpage, by clicking the weblink, or typing in www.andersonfordmotorsport.com

Once there.. click on Tech Articles, and then scroll down the page, until locating October 2005. You'll then notice the 05 Mustang exhaust shootout, Part 2 link..Click on the shootout link, and it should open right up..

Hopefully, you'll find their test results as helpful..
Old 11/2/07, 09:57 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by 281GT
No offense taken. Thanks for posting actual numbers. It certainly clarifies the issue. While high flow cats do appear to flow slightly better than stock cats I would say that if one were to change only the cats the performance per dollar value just isn't there and not worth doing.
In my case I had no choice as it's basically impossible to use the stock cats with long tube headers. I agree that in my case practically all of my gains came from the long tube headers.
In regards to the original poster's question, I would agree that replacing the cats alone isn't worth the money.
It's been said before but I'll reitterate that on the S197 GT cars the only significant gains in the exhaust will come from long tube headers.
Although it's basically impossible to use the stock cats, and mid-pipe !

IMHO you have the very best set up, with long tube headers and high-flow catted mid-pipe..And if I were financially able to pull it off.. this would also be my set up of choice..

In the meantime, I may have to settle for the off-road Prochamber option lol.
Old 1/18/08, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much does the location of the cats have on sound? The Magnaflow Catted-X has the cats in the stock position. Others (Bassani, MRT, etc.) have them further down the pipe. I too want improved flow but not if it will be overly loud.

Jon