GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help With Shifter Pic

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/05, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone take a pic of the stock shifter (5 speed) with the boot pulled up? :worship: I'm trying to see how the stock rubber boot looks installed from the factory. The guy that installed my hurst forgot to put it back and that is letting in tons of tranny heat. :bang: This would help out alot, thanks!!
Old 8/21/05, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

I'm puting mine in tomorrow (if it get's here) and I'll snap a pic off for you.
Old 8/21/05, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

When I put mine in I took pictures as I went, so here's a shot that may help:

The only thing it doesn't show is how the opening at the very bottom of the boot goes around the round shifter-ball (pivot point) housing. This dust boot is basically like two toilet-plunger cups that have been glued together at the wide part...I put it back on in this order:

1) slide boot down over stick and reach underneath and through opening in trans tunnel, stretch the bottom small opening as wide as possible with two fingers and pull over the shifter ball housing.

2) fit the wide edge that goes aorund the the middle into the perimeter of the opening in the trans tunnel, as can be seenin the pic (what appears to be the bottom of the boot but is really more mid-point of it).

3) Finally, stretch the teeny-tiny top little hole over the bottom of the shifter stick.This part was hardest since it's the smallest hole with the least stretch and at this point you can't see the item you are stretching it over. And, the Hurst unit does not have an identical round part for this hole to squeeze over - essentially, I shoved it as far down onto the shifter nub (that the shift handle bolts to) as possible, then bolted on the chrome handle.

I have noticed a bit of heat transfer onto the stick but only when creeping for extended periods in very slow traffic for extended periods. The console gets warm anyway and it's been veryhot lately so I'm not alarmed about this at all. At any decent speed there's enough airflow to help pull the heat out of that part under the car.

Good luck!
Old 8/22/05, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Erich thanks a ton!! How does it look with your hurst now installed. Thanks again!
Old 8/22/05, 10:04 AM
V6 Member

You're welcome!

Dust boot looks about the same now with the new shifter in, except for the very top of the boot, there's no round part for it to stretch over like on the stock unit, so it's pushed down a bit further and stretched aroound the stick bottom - kinda mushed down in place.

I think the important part is the part you can't see in the pic - the small opening in the bottom of the dust boot. With that part properly stretched around the shifter pivot housing, there shouldn't be an opportunity for any dust or heat to get up into the stick area itself.
Old 8/22/05, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stoopy@August 22, 2005, 8:07 AM
You're welcome!

Dust boot looks about the same now with the new shifter in, except for the very top of the boot, there's no round part for it to stretch over like on the stock unit, so it's pushed down a bit further and stretched aroound the stick bottom - kinda mushed down in place.

I think the important part is the part you can't see in the pic - the small opening in the bottom of the dust boot. With that part properly stretched around the shifter pivot housing, there shouldn't be an opportunity for any dust or heat to get up into the stick area itself.
Thanks for the help!!
Can the boot be installed from the top after the shifter is in? I think mine is inside out! :scratch: