GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help! Not passing Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/06, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Not passing Inspection

My car isn't passing State Inspection and I don't know why.
Has anyone with an 05 with mods had trouble getting an Inspection?
I took it to my Dealer and they reset everthing and had me drive the car for about 50 miles and checked it again. Still coming up with both the 02 sensors not being ready and the same for the cats. The Ford tech said it's not the modes. He also said he hasn't had many 05's for inspection yet so he didn't know of any issues. They just want me to drive it somemore to see if the drive cycle will reset.
Should I try and put it all back to stock and try again? Everyone says the mods I have shouldn't be any trouble passing inspection.
See my sig for mods.
Any help would be great.
Old 12/16/06, 10:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What reason is the shop giving you for not passing? They can't fail you and not tell you why. The only reason I can see for you not passing would be that your intake and throttle body don't have carb stickers. If there's something wrong with your factory cats that should be covered under warranty.
Old 12/17/06, 01:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll bet it is the Bama tune. I have the Performance and Race tunes and they both make the exhaust smell pretty strong. I have tunes from two other comapnies and the exhaust with them is odor-free, just like stock. For inspection purposes I would just put the stock airbox and tune back in. Don't worry about the throttlebody. I am concerned about the Bama tune, though. I've mentioned the exhaust smell to Doug but he never really gave me a definitive answer. There is absolutely nothing to be gained performance-wise by altering the AFR at idle and light throttle, yet obviously that is what is happening. It's almost as though the engine is running in open loop all the time. What exactly did the Ford tech mean when he said "it's not the modes?"
Old 12/17/06, 03:04 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=SC67Stang;800636] Still coming up with both the 02 sensors not being ready and the same for the cats. The Ford tech said it's not the modes. [quote]

If your 02 sesnors are not functioning , then you would think that it would be warranty work. Did you still have your tune in? Go straight stock and if it ain`t passin , then let them fix it!

My .02.
Old 12/17/06, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Everything is still on the car and the tune is also in. Just those three item are showing not ready.
I am concerned that if I put it back to stock I will have to run more miles to get the drive cycle to reset again and Im running out of time this month.
Old 12/17/06, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SC67Stang
Everything is still on the car and the tune is also in. Just those three item are showing not ready.
I am concerned that if I put it back to stock I will have to run more miles to get the drive cycle to reset again and Im running out of time this month.
You might want to put it back to stock now while you have the time before your plate expires.
Old 12/17/06, 10:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought California was the smog crazy state. Are you having to get your car smogged for your license plate stickers after 3 years? I have until 2011.
Old 12/17/06, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I thought California was the smog crazy state. Are you having to get your car smogged for your license plate stickers after 3 years? I have until 2011.
This is not for the Plates it's the State inspection.
Old 12/17/06, 12:40 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Texas you get your car inspected every year , 2 years on the initial Inspection on a brand new car, Plates are renewed yearly also. Where he lives in Houston , and Me in Austin <it goes by county if your county has been declared ozone naughty > and they use a State run Computer terminal to check it. It`s a real pain in the A@@. And you must provide proof of Insurance at every step.
Old 12/17/06, 03:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

that is why i love South Texas, you could have no mufflers and no cats but as long as you have something like Bullets or somthing that looks like a muffler around the pipe you pass
Old 12/18/06, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY

+1 to that! I thought WE were the weird, tree-hugging state!!!

Wow, what's this about inspections? Glad we don't have to deal with THAT!!! It's bad enough paying the exorbitant plate fees and dealing with smog in (for me) 2009...
Old 12/18/06, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

NJ gives you 4 years when bought new.. wow, 2 sucks
Old 12/18/06, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

You won't know until you try, but for sure you will never pass with the Bamatune if your exhaust smells like mine does. And I can tell you that as soon as I put my stock tune in the smell went away immediately, as it did with the Demolet and Modular Depot tunes. Unfortunately they don't perform nearly as well as Bama.
Old 12/18/06, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Heared from Doug today and he said you should always return it to stock and the stock air intake before going in for any inspections.
Guess I just have to do some more driving before Christmas this week.
What a shame. LOL.
Old 12/18/06, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I would be asking Doug why you need to return to stock? If it is failing because it is running to rich or lean, then you might have more problems then just failing inspection. Remember those 02 sensors send info to the computer.

Kevin
Old 12/19/06, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like I will be taking the car back to the dealer to find out whats wrong.
Put the car back to stock like Doug suggested but now the car goes into Failsafe mode at the end of the programing?????
I even tried to disconnect the battery over night to see if it would reset.
Still Failsafe.
Old 12/19/06, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
JLT CAI Series 2 This really works 23 RWHP gain
LFP Dual 62mm Throttle Body
Go to the stock air intake and stock throttle body. Flash your PCM back to stock. Hopefully you did not delete the CMCVs.
Old 12/19/06, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Metro,
I did put back the stock intake and retune to stock.
Before I even started the car I got the failsafe mode on the display of the car.
I even tried to go back to the way I had it before when it was runnung and I got the samething. "Failsafe"
Old 12/19/06, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you put the stock TB back?
Old 12/19/06, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Metro,
I did put back the stock intake and retune to stock.
Before I even started the car I got the failsafe mode on the display of the car.
I even tried to go back to the way I had it before when it was runnung and I got the samething. "Failsafe"
Hey guys,

First off NO ONE's tunes are emissions legal. My tunes do not alter or affect the low end idle fuel or low to part throttle, the o2 sensors are designed to keep the engine as close to 14.6:1 as possible, if not this is where you would get the system lean or system rich code.

Now, first off when you say it goes into failsafe when you return it to stock. You said you took it into the dealer, did they reprogram the PCM? Can you reload one of your performance tunes and have it start? If so then they probably didn't.

On your 05 Autol your strategy code should read FBHR2G4, goto the Read DTC menu and check this. This is the strategy code for BKT3.

Did you return your stock intake to the car when you loaded your stock tune? Are you certain you have all of the connections made? If the MAF or TPS sensor is disconnected then the car will goto Failsafe pretty quickly.

What version is your X-cal? Basically when did you get it? If you have a very old version, say 1.3, then it MAY be possible that your basefile has gotten corupted. This would be the only reason I would find for it to go straight to failsafe when you start it other then some mechanical issue.

Give me a call and we'll work this out, that's what I'm here for. This thread was brought to my attention by another member who called, I dont get to come online as much as I'd like as I'm usually answering emails or phone calls.

205-302-0231

Thanks, Doug.

Quick Reply: Help! Not passing Inspection