GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

help, I CANNOT get my mufflers lined up.

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/07, 04:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Boltzman, with respect (and because you have been very helpful to me with my questions), you're certainly entitled to your opinion and I am not trying to be argumentative, but I would like to prevent others from using the inferior u-bolt clamps and crushing their pipes in the process based on my actual experience using and removing the clamps and pipes (Sort of a before/after approach).

I have tried my best to explain why the aftermarket band clamps don't seem to be as effective on aftermarket axle-backs and even provided a solid solution (increasing the width of the notches to allow the pipes to compress more). It just seems no one wants to listen or read. I'll try one more time: Just go and compare the stock GT mufflers with your favorite aftermarket axle-backs. Look closely at how the OEM GT mufflers are notched (zig-zagged with about 3/16" width). There are TWO notches per muffler pipe and I am not referring to the notch that allows the "nubbed rivets" to slide in. My Pypes Violators have ONE 1/16" notch per muffler pipe. It's obvious why the Pypes Violators didn't seal - the notch would have fully collapsed before the pipe ever made direct contact with the intermediate pipes, thus allowing a loose fit. Increasing the width of this notch allows the pipe to compress more and create a tighter seal against the intermediate pipe.

The bottom line is I would never use $2 U-bolt clamps to secure/crush $300-$500 axle-backs when the problem is clearly in the design of the axle-back pipes, NOT the SS band clamps which the OEMs use without any problems on high-end vehicles. This goes back to my argument that many aftermarket vendors don't put much thought into engineering or form/fit when releasing their products.
Old 11/3/07, 05:49 AM
Ric
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Maybe These will Help!

KC

Links don't work for me...
Old 11/3/07, 07:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Ric: They are just pages from the Factory Service Manual (FSM) that describe how to align the mufflers. I didn't realize there is some adjustment available from re-positioning the catalytic converters.
Old 11/3/07, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Jason, where you located in RI??? Im in West Greenwich...I could swing by and help you, I had a similar problem when I installed my H pipe and stingers...let me know if you need help
Old 11/3/07, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by steve-o
Jason, where you located in RI??? Im in West Greenwich...I could swing by and help you, I had a similar problem when I installed my H pipe and stingers...let me know if you need help
Im in Providence. I am going to try the dreaded U clamps and see what happens. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 11/12/07, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a pic of my setup. See how it does not even come close to the nub.

Old 11/12/07, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow!! They are barely on the end of the tube. At least mine went about half way down toward the nub. You might have to get them welded if you can't get any more mid pipe in them. JMO
Old 11/12/07, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
Here's a pic of my setup. See how it does not even come close to the nub.

i've got the macs too. According to the install instructions, the mufflers should line up against the nub, looks like you still have a inch or so to go there, try and push them farther on. That being said, I've never been able to get them to seal properly (haven't tried adjusting the over-the-axle clamps), might just go to a exhaust shop and have them welded, I don't see myself changing mufflers after all this time.
Old 11/12/07, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am difinitely no going to ge them welded, I may eventually want to change them up, and if something goes wrong with them.....
Old 11/13/07, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I really think you have to keep working them to get them to line up. Mine were a pain but they eventually slid up there. They're definitely not supposed to mount like you have them.
Old 11/13/07, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Phorty
I really think you have to keep working them to get them to line up. Mine were a pain but they eventually slid up there. They're definitely not supposed to mount like you have them.
Are there any consequences to the way they are lined up? The hangers and rubber holders dont allow for much wiggle room.
Old 11/13/07, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

remove them from the hangers and try to wedge it in first( try some WD 40) You need to get as close to that notch as possible. then tighten the bolts down for the hangers.
Old 11/13/07, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

i would imagine you might have some serious exhaust leakage in that set-up as pictured. Put your hand close to the pipe but not touching it while the car is running, you can probably feel the exhaust gases escaping.
Old 11/13/07, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
i would imagine you might have some serious exhaust leakage in that set-up as pictured. Put your hand close to the pipe but not touching it while the car is running, you can probably feel the exhaust gases escaping.
Alright, alright, I will take it a muffler shop.....Meineke? Midas?
Old 11/13/07, 09:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious though..Get them fixed and you will be happy