GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help diagnosing possible Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/07, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnosing possible Exhaust Leak

Installed MAC axle-back today on my 07 GT. I noticed that there was not a slot on the axle-back for the rounded alignment tab on the axle-back pipes, so I only pushed on the exhaust as far as that alignment tab, clamped it down well and i thought it felt pretty solid. Running the car I notice that there seems to be a loss in HP, possibly a hissing (air leaking?) sound in the back, and the exhaust coming out of the mufflers is quite hot/has a distinct odor. Does this sound like an exhaust leak to everyone? Is my best bet to try and cut off that alignment tab so I can try and slide the mufflers onto the pipe farther? Any other tips/ideas for diagnosing and treating the problem would be appreciated.
Old 6/13/07, 03:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jedikd
Installed MAC axle-back today on my 07 GT. I noticed that there was not a slot on the axle-back for the rounded alignment tab on the axle-back pipes, so I only pushed on the exhaust as far as that alignment tab, clamped it down well and i thought it felt pretty solid. Running the car I notice that there seems to be a loss in HP, possibly a hissing (air leaking?) sound in the back, and the exhaust coming out of the mufflers is quite hot/has a distinct odor. Does this sound like an exhaust leak to everyone? Is my best bet to try and cut off that alignment tab so I can try and slide the mufflers onto the pipe farther? Any other tips/ideas for diagnosing and treating the problem would be appreciated.
Get rid of that alignment pin ! Grind or file it off, this will help.......
Old 6/13/07, 03:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hot exhaust and strange odor will not have anything to do with axlebacks. Exhaust is normally hot, and the odor might be the new mufflers breaking in/curing.
Old 6/13/07, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with STD. Get rid of the pin and push the muffler on as far as you can. Exhausts are hot...that is normal. The smell is coming from oils and lubicants used during the manufacturing process. They will be gone in a couple of days after they burn off.
Scott
Old 6/13/07, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

what'd you guys use to get rid of the alignment pin? I have a file but it seems like it would take a long time giving how the difficulty of filing upside down with a pipe that has some flex in it
Old 6/13/07, 11:19 PM

4" Metabo grinder with cut off wheel
Old 6/14/07, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jedikd
what'd you guys use to get rid of the alignment pin? I have a file but it seems like it would take a long time giving how the difficulty of filing upside down with a pipe that has some flex in it

Your stock mufflers have a slot in them that allows the pin to align them. Some after market mufflers do not have this slot and the pin gets in the way of pushing the new muffler on all the way. So you can slot the new muffler for the pin or remove the pin. Your choice. Easier to remove the pin.
Scott