GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help.. car stalling after JLT II install

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/07, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well.. I'm thinking either just get a different CAI (C&L race looks good) or contact JLT and see if I can order a new air filter and plastic elbow... the way I see it... I now have the new intake.. I should replace the other components of the kit and see... Douhg emailed me and suggested I have the dealership clean my TB.. any idea's how that's done?
Old 3/14/07, 01:45 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
61 posts in a thread that should have had 5

having struggled with the same problem, and having been turned down by the dealership for 4 months as they're unable to reproduce the issue, because it was very unnoticable with the stock airbox, it only worked once i went there and threw a ***** fit..
they replaced my TB and she's perfectly alright ever since.

you had the problem with the JLT, and you had it with the JLT-II.. and you think "upgrading" to C&L will help?

next time you ask for advice and someone gives it.. take it!

i hope it's not your TB, because at this rate it will take you 4 years to have that fixed, while you're busy replacing your car part by part to find the culprit
Old 3/14/07, 05:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

well I dont know what to do... do I take it to another dealership.. because I dont trust any of the other fords in the area.. I dont know what else to do or say to the dealership.. I too still think its the TB.. but how can I make then replace it.. My girl says she will call Ford corporate and file a complaint.. see if that makes then replace it.
Old 3/14/07, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

You know.. if ford and the dealership keep giving me excuses and the run around I'm just gonna order a new TB from ford. Its $205.xx. I dont have the luxery of fighting them for this for much longer.
Old 3/14/07, 11:15 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's a bit too soon to file a complaint about it don't you think?

tried filming proof of the RPM surging/stalling?

try resetting the ECU (disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes) and the ECU will try to relearn idle and other curves.. and the symptoms might then become a bit more visible for the dealership to see.
Old 3/15/07, 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did offer to film it.. the guy dismissed it... I also advised him I have been having that issues w/the ebrake freezing and he acknowledged there are problems. So when I asked him to take a look at mine he said no because its not that cold anymore??? Normally I dont complain... bit when this is the 2nd dealership to dismiss this (first one said to just drive w/the traction control off) I need a resolution. So I had my girl call and we will see what happens. If I get no resolution by mid next week the I'm just gonna order a new TB myself.
Old 3/19/07, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well.. after calling Ford corp and waiting to see what happens. Got a call from the service manager from Monroe Ford. They claim they have driven my car extensively and still no stalling. Mind you I have the stock airbox and tune back on. They still refuse to change the TB. So I'm just gonna have to order a new ford TB myself and just have that installed. This really sucks.. anyone know of how one can cancel their extended warranty?? If this is what I have to look forward to then I might as well just cancel it and start saving ther $$$ myself. Let me ask you guys this. If the TB needs to b e replaced wouldnt my car be stalling with the factory air box as well???
Old 3/19/07, 03:59 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rafael, I don't know, but I appreciate your posts and sorry about your problems. I've got the exact same issues w/ a WMS CIA and a SCT X-CAL2 w/ Brenspeed tune. I've been dealing with it for a year but have been either too busy or lazy to deal with it. You're not alone, there have been many threads on this same issue w/ different tunes and intakes. Nobody's gotten it resolved as far as I know. Please, please, please let me know what the fix is (PM me) if you figure it out.
Old 3/19/07, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theedge67
If the car isn't stalling with the stock airbox on, but only the JLT, I would say maybe Ford is right and the problem lies in the JLT. Or the tune, either one.
Just curious Superman112: did you try cleaning (or have the dealership clean) your TB? I recently heard from a pretty reliable source, that a small number of 2005+ Mustangs with increased miles, (meaning the early 2005s) are exhibiting signs of low idle/ stalling with aftermarket CAIs... but DO NOT exhibit these symptoms with the stock intakes. Apparently after increased miles with an aftermarket CAI, a small amount of oil (from filter?) residue forms on TB. The increased airflow of aftermarket CAIs is just enough to throw off the sensitive TB. Anyway, might be worth trying to clean TB (to see if this fixes your issue) before replacing TB or spending hundreds on "30K checkups".
Old 3/19/07, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Doctor Q.. actually Doug at Bamachips mentioned something about that too. About cleaning the TB. I'll call the dealership tomorrow to see if they can at least do that. They wont even adress my issues w/the ebrake freezing. They say since its not cold anymore, it wouldnt happen and they have to seeit first hand. Yeah Right!! Now I did get mine in Oct of 05 so maybe this cleaning the TB might be something. Hey 05gt O.C.D I'll let you know if getting the TB cleaned does the trick. Now if I ask the dealership to clean the TB. Do you think they would get suspicious by a request like that? IF they ask why should I tell them about the problems w/the CAI?? Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in... its one of the main reasons I love coming to sites like these.
Old 3/19/07, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by superman112
Thanks Doctor Q.. actually Doug at Bamachips mentioned something about that too. About cleaning the TB. I'll call the dealership tomorrow to see if they can at least do that. They wont even adress my issues w/the ebrake freezing. They say since its not cold anymore, it wouldnt happen and they have to seeit first hand. Yeah Right!! Now I did get mine in Oct of 05 so maybe this cleaning the TB might be something. Hey 05gt O.C.D I'll let you know if getting the TB cleaned does the trick. Now if I ask the dealership to clean the TB. Do you think they would get suspicious by a request like that? IF they ask why should I tell them about the problems w/the CAI?? Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in... its one of the main reasons I love coming to sites like these.
do NOT bring up aftermarket CAIs when discussing warranty work @ the Dealership.. you will give them ammo to turn it on you (blame the problem on the aftermarket CAI) and turn you away. Just say you were perusing Mustang user forums and ran across a few threads on idle problems and stalling... and folks had their dealerships take off their STOCK intakes, clean the TB thoroughly (from residue buildup), and replace STOCK intakes... and problem seems to have been resolved.
Old 3/19/07, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

cool!! Now if they dont want to clean it is this something I can do???
Old 3/19/07, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor

Yes. If not, I will personally call a dealership up your way that I know of and tell them your problem and see what I can get them to do for you. I have family who are Ford employees and may be able to pull a string at a dealer up your way.

CR
Old 3/19/07, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

**** Cr.. you the man...well... I should find out tomorrow as to what they will and wont do. I really appreciate it!!
Old 3/19/07, 10:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by superman112
Well.. after calling Ford corp and waiting to see what happens. Got a call from the service manager from Monroe Ford. They claim they have driven my car extensively and still no stalling. Mind you I have the stock airbox and tune back on. They still refuse to change the TB. So I'm just gonna have to order a new ford TB myself and just have that installed. This really sucks.. anyone know of how one can cancel their extended warranty?? If this is what I have to look forward to then I might as well just cancel it and start saving ther $$$ myself. Let me ask you guys this. If the TB needs to b e replaced wouldnt my car be stalling with the factory air box as well???
YES I think it would.
Old 3/20/07, 05:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm gonna "try" and have then clean my TB...see what happens if they give me a hard time then I'm gonna have to take CR on his offer.
Old 3/20/07, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

grrr... now the local dealership are being PITA.. my girl called their to speak w/the service manager.. they xsferd her to his voicemail and this guy Jason asnwered. Mind you he's the one who said unless they see the problem 1st hand they wont fix anything. My girl announces herself and he says oh it you and went to transfer her when all of a sudden she got disconnected??? Hmm.. I wonder if that was intentional.... and people wonder why Ford is losing customers by the boatloads to the other guys. This is the last ford I'll ever buy.
Old 3/20/07, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

You need to find a different dealership man. All there is to it. You would be amazed how different the dealerships are run.
Old 3/20/07, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah I know.. a friend has a cousin who works in a delaership in New Jerzz but I have a little "situation" there and I cant drive in that state.. my luck PoPo will catch me there and that's one more headache for me!!!
Old 3/26/07, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well... here's an update.. I FINALLY got my car back from the dealer. Only took 2 weeks!! They replaces my ebrake cables and the rear rotors and brakes and they cleaned and serviced the TB. CAr ran ok (GOd I miss my tunes) I forgot how much of a difference they make. Got home and tried to install one of Dougs tunes (perf w.out the JLT intake) and now nothing happens. I select the tune I want and it goes to the screen that reads "please do not disconnect" and that's it!! I tried one of his older ones and that's not working either. I am thinking the dealer reflashed my ECM. I remembered the sticky about this sort of thing but my x-cal cant read the strategy code. I think I'm suppose to uplaod some new software. I alreay have liveload on my pc. I called and emailed DOug to see what he thinks. I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestion or should I pretty much just hang tight until Doug calls. Man I'm so close to have my baby back all the way and now this.

Quick Reply: Help.. car stalling after JLT II install