GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help on brakes please.

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/09, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on brakes please.

Hello guys, I just bought spray on brake caliper paint for my Mustang GT, and I wanted to take off the the calipers and the bridge off on Monday, so I can do a good job painting them. Can someone give me instructions on how I can remove my calipers and the bridge off my car, so I can paint them on the shop table?

If there is a video, can you please post a link to it so I can watch it.
Old 9/12/09, 05:58 PM
GT Member

There are only 2 bolts that hold the caliper on, remove those. Lift caliper off, and then you can then pull off the rotors. I just masked off surrounding areas, pulled out the brake pads and sprayed mine. If you completely remove the calipers, you will have to bleed the brakes. The paint dries quickly, if you're careful you can reassemble in a couple hours. I think you can accomplish what you want without making a big hassle out of the project...just my .02
Old 9/14/09, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

VistaBluegt: Have you ever done brake work before? If not, I highly recommend you follow procedures for changing brake rotors, minus actually removing the rotors. The caliper should come off the rotor and there are a number of small details that if you haven't cone your own brakes before, you run risks. It's all really easy though, so don't fret, just can be a pain the first time.

You won't want to actually remove the entire caliper, but suspend it with strong wire or chain from the spring and paint while it's hanging like that. The reason being is the brake line is filled with fluid and if you remove that you'll have to bleed the entire system afterwards.

One option I've seen talented and careful people use to good effect, is to mask off everything around the caliper with that blue painter's masking tape and paint it in place. They used brush on paint though, not spray, so I'm not sure it would work as well: it's not really problematic getting paint on the rotor, that'll get abraded off soon enough, but I wouldn't want paint on the pads - it might make the pads squeal like little pigs.

Good luck, take your time and double check everything you do. Use a torque wrench when you put everything back together too -- brakes are important and loose bolts may mean brake failure.
Old 9/14/09, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Question... what about those clips on the front brakes? The wire ones? Won't they mess up the finish when you put them back together? Is there any method for protecting those areas?

/Thinkin' about doin' it myself... but no point if the clips will mess the deal up.