GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

GT500 Brake Kit Install - Complete

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/06, 10:08 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Kristina, thanks for the write up. Do you have a part number or link to the spacers?
I can get you a list...in the morning.

Originally Posted by wsmatau
Has anyone seen a good price for these calipers WITHOUT the rotors. I'm thinking these calipers with Eradispeed + rotors would be killer....and less expensive than the Stop-Tech kit.
You don't have to buy the rotors...it's all individual parts from your friendly local Ford dealer. If you want the kit, buy the calipers from Ford and then try and find an aftermarket company that has rotors for the Shelby GT500. However if you're buying from a dealer who already has the kit i doubt they'll sell you it in pieces. An order from scratch is different.

Originally Posted by Osiris
So I went into my dealership and the parts guy had no clue what I was talking about when I asked for these brakes. Where from ford did you order them?
I ordered them from my local Ford dealer. I do hear that Ford is now requiring Shelby VINs before shipping these kits out but I'm not too sure. I do know my dealer has an extra kit - I'm sure he'd be willing to ship. PM me if interested.

Originally Posted by Lokius
Looks good, I would never use spacers... but if you want to keep the fanblades, it is the only way
I did opt for hubcentric as I felt they were better for the car. I'm mad I went too big then what is necessary but I guess that's the price I pay for being the first that I know of to post actual results. 10mm is needed, which would reduce any over-wear on the car vs. my 25mm spacers. Once I can afford the 19"s I want, I'll remove the spacers. Just need a sugar daddy now!
Old 11/12/06, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

This kit is now available through FRPP via the latest catalog as an upgrade for GTs. There are quite a few GT500 parts available for purchase to GT owners, like rear control arms (with stiffer bushings to fight wheelhop), front control arms (with stronger ball joints).
Old 11/12/06, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice. That is on my list of upgrades.
Steel braded brake lines will also help improve the soft pedal feel.
Old 11/12/06, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fastduo
Very nice. That is on my list of upgrades.
Steel braded brake lines will also help improve the soft pedal feel.
I agree on the braided brake lines. They go a long way to improving pedal feel. Install looks nice. I noticed right off that the brakes on my GT were in need of a pad change or something while trying to whoa while at speed on the highway. Glad I can upgrade to these with little problem. I would like to keep the blades too so the spacer will be the way to go.
Old 10/21/07, 07:06 AM
V6 Member

Rondosa,

Did you ever purchase and install those smaller spacers on the front wheels? Would like to know if your estimates of a smaller spacer proved to be true.
Old 10/21/07, 04:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hmm, so sorry for the newb question but what is the downfall of wheel spacers?
Old 10/21/07, 04:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Wheel spacers?

The least of your problems would be wheel/tire fitment issues, the worst would be the tires falling off while your going down the road.

Stay away from el-cheapo universals (I've seen where the spacer has acutally rotated on the hub due to an imprecise fit and sawed into the studs and shanks of a lug)

The better ones are made just for your hub/blot circle combo and fit like the wheel should. Personally I like the bolt on variety, but I think these can only be had in a minimum thinkness of about an 1/2"

Otherwise you should get longer studs to compensate for the lost engagment in the lugnut. The stud should engage the lug at least half way aloing its length, if not more.

Also incorrectly installed could lead to wobblingt which would manifest as premature tire wear and/or vibration.

---->edit<----
for my next upgrade (after I get my suspension sorted out) I wanna install the GT500 calipers along with two-piece rotors, probably gonna be a kit bash since I have my eye on the DBA two piece rotors. IIRC the rotors also reduce unsprung weight at each end of the car by 7 pounds along with reduced warping (ever want a good example of this, go take a ride in an old foxbody and hall it down from about 130 real quick - the front end feels like its about to fall off due to caliper shake and rotor warping)
Old 11/9/07, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Question Spacer Questions

With some time on the spacers -- have you had any problems? Have you noticed any particular issues -- different handling, tire wear, etc.? Anyone else have experience with the GT500 Kit and spacers -- I'm considering it -- I want to keep the CS OE rims -- but want the brakes. I thought about going on and getting the SVT Cobra OE Rims -- but I don't think that they're as good looking. Thanks for any input or help.
Old 12/27/07, 07:08 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Hey guys - sorry it's been a while since I checked this thread.

1 year later or so, everything is all good with the H&R hubcentric 1" spacers on the car. I should report that I have really bad popping from the upper strut mounts, but I am certain that it is not from the spacers, but from the shoddy OEM parts plus my suspension.

Also, as a surprise, my bf was able to get my 5/8" custom hubcentric wheel spacers for the front of my car for my birthday from mustangspacers.com. He said the guy there (John) was amazing to deal with, and that this was the smallest size possible for hubcentric in the front - didn't want to go smaller even though could have, because I didn't want NON hubcentric. I haven't installed them yet but will be doing this over the winter while the car is in storage - then I'll move the 1"ers to the rear.

Then, I'll be happy For a while.

Good luck. Still loving my brakes...still haven't found a 2 piece replacement rotor for the front.

Kristina
Old 12/27/07, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thought about doing this mod myself. Thanks for the info.
Old 12/30/07, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I have been running mine with the H&R/ Eibach spacers front and back since May. I switched over to the winter tires and wheels (also 18" oem bullitts) and checked the torque on the spacers. Perfect.

The only thing I caution everyone to look for is that with the bullitts, the stock wheel studs hit the back of the wheel pockets. The blind tips on the studs have to be trimmed and the studs dressed, and clearance to the back of the wheel clay checked.

still haven't found a 2 piece replacement rotor for the front
I am 90% sure the Brembo 2 piece rotors from their aftermarket kit fit the front. But are PRICEY!!!

At the moment I am really happy that if/when the car needs new rotors I don't have to worry about brembo or some other aftermarket company going for my lungs.
Old 12/31/07, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

How much do the GT500 brakes cost?
Old 12/31/07, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
How much do the GT500 brakes cost?
+1 also interested in the total cost
Old 12/31/07, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

It greatly depends on where you buy them. I bought them when they first came out and were really really really cheap over the parts counter.

Now I think they are in the 1200-1300 dollar range through FRPP. The spacers are another 250-300 dollars for the 4 depending on where you buy them.
Old 12/31/07, 12:08 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Hi All,

I lost my thread I started a while ago about this mod. I had ordered the parts in late August/early September and was waiting on them and a time to install them at my local shop that let's me help. I was also away for a while (filming a reality tv show of all things!) so I FINALLY had the opportunity to install the GT500 Brembo Brakes last night!
Hey there,

BTW - if you decide on Cross-Drilled or Cross-Drilled/Slotted rotors to go with those brakes - let me know. We have them (Cross-Drilled in stock right now). Also have rotors for the rear to match (Cross-Drilled or Cross-Drilled/Slotted).

Here is a pic of the Cross-Drilled/Slotted rotor:

Feel free to give me a call (866-278-8287 x134) or shoot me an E-Mail (PNicholson@Stillen.com) if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks

Page
Old 12/31/07, 03:41 PM
V6 Member

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ma...A_11-11-04.pdf
Old 12/31/07, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Martin:

How did the stoptech's fit with your wheels? What wheels do you have? I'm still looking for a 4 piston upgrade that will work with the stock 18x8.5 Bullits. Page sent me the fitment guide -- I haven't had a chance to try it yet -- probably will tomorrow -- but trust actual experience better than my use of the fitment guide. I'd appreciate your posted update. Thanks.
Old 12/31/07, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Compared to the stock calipers. Face clearance wise you need an additional 1" of clearance with the GT500 or Brembo kits and approx 0.5"-0.6" more clearance with the Stoptech. This is comparing the stoptech template and brembo templates to the actual GT500 brakes and the stock setup.

IE> With 18" oe bullits. you need about an inch of spacer with the brembo and about 0.5"-0.6 with the stoptech.
Old 12/31/07, 07:06 PM
V6 Member

Compared to the stock calipers. Face clearance wise you need an additional 1" of clearance with the GT500 or Brembo kits and approx 0.5"-0.6" more clearance with the Stoptech. This is comparing the stoptech template and brembo templates to the actual GT500 brakes and the stock setup.

IE> With 18" oe bullits. you need about an inch of spacer with the brembo and about 0.5"-0.6 with the stoptech.
All is true I have the 18 bullitts and the fit was so close that a paper would just make it but it works with out any prob @19.000 miles.
I have 1" spacers front and rear.
Old 1/1/08, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by martin fink
All is true I have the 18 bullitts and the fit was so close that a paper would just make it but it works with out any prob @19.000 miles.
I have 1" spacers front and rear.
I suppose that I'm stymied -- either spacers or new wheels to get 4 piston calipers. I need to find a way to look at current set up's stopping power -- they feel better than stock -- but I'm not sure how much faster they stop.

Quick Reply: GT500 Brake Kit Install - Complete