GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

GT OWNERS: Twin Turbo Time!

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/05, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Check this out: Ultimate Racing has come up with a Twin Turbo for the 2005 GT that is still under development due to problems with ECU tuning. Look through the site, it looks interesting, but only about 356rwhp? Thats nothing compared to what Vortech or other Superchargers offer. What are your thoughts? :notnice:

2005 Mustang GT Twin Turbo
Old 7/6/05, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow no responses, huh?
Old 7/6/05, 06:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

eh...old news....but still cool.
Old 7/6/05, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They hit a hard road block some months ago with the programming. They can't go past 3 psi of boost without wigging out the computer. They were looking into it, but so far, nothing has been posted saying they have a fix.

That stinks too. Because I REALLY want a sweet twin turbo setup on my baby!
Old 7/6/05, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yea it would kinda be cool to have a twin turbo, PROVIDING it was a little more stronger and affordable...any news on the price?

(sry if this is old news )
Old 7/6/05, 08:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My opinion is that UR needs to take the car to a SCT tuner. I know Kenne Bell and Procharger kits are running a lot more boost than that. Turbos are the way to go though because they are a lot more efficient than Superchargers.
Old 7/6/05, 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Torque is the problem.
Old 7/7/05, 05:44 AM
GT Member

You think you get a lot of heat through the floor now wait till this thing comes out.
Old 7/7/05, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by killo-11@July 7, 2005, 9:47 PM
You think you get a lot of heat through the floor now wait till this thing comes out.
Yeah I know what you mean, is it because of the cat placement?
Old 7/7/05, 11:58 AM
Cobra Member

Gee... I can't wait.... I'm gonne croud the heck out of my engine with a bunch of plumbing to put a grand total of 3.5 psi of boost thru twin turbos so I can see 356rwhp.... all of this while the guys with 8psi of boost on a twin screw are blowing my doors off with 427rwhp.... where do I sign up?
Old 7/7/05, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@July 7, 2005, 12:01 PM
Gee... I can't wait.... I'm gonne croud the heck out of my engine with a bunch of plumbing to put a grand total of 3.5 psi of boost thru twin turbos so I can see 356rwhp.... all of this while the guys with 8psi of boost on a twin screw are blowing my doors off with 427rwhp.... where do I sign up?
I hope thats not aimed at me or anyone else clint, we AGREE with you...3.5psi and 365rwhp is :notnice: compared to the SS offered for us....
Old 7/7/05, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@July 7, 2005, 12:33 PM
I hope thats not aimed at me or anyone else clint, we AGREE with you...3.5psi and 365rwhp is :notnice: compared to the SS offered for us....
oh, I wasn't trying to take a dig on anyone.... I just don't see the point in turbos on a V8... personally, they don't offer anything to me that I can't get out of a twin screw. You'd have to build the livin' crap out of one of these motors, including sleeving the block, to really get to the benefits of a turbo... IMO, go with something that fits a little cleaner.

I guess my sarcasm was a little too negative.
Old 7/7/05, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clint,

Look into turbos a bit more before you dismiss them. I'll take 8 psi of intercooled turbo boost over 8 psi twin screw or paxton type supercharger ANY DAY. And wax your butt with it. Because I would have a lot more power at the crank.

The problem (and the 3.5 psi limit they are currently at) has to do with how the computer is programmed. A turbo generates pressure COMPLETELY different than a supercharger of any stripe. The computer doesn't like what it sees and is throwing a hissy fit. It's just not programmed to understand turbo airflow dynamics.

A straight supercharger acts a lot more like a larger engine. More airflow at every rpm, but it is relative to rpm. A turbe can have a COMPLETELY different air flow depending on the rpm and throttle. Compare the airflow at 3500 rpm with the throttle wide open but the turbos not spooled up. Now compare it 3500 rpm with the turbos spinning for all they are worth. Totally different airflow situations. A belt driven supper charger will be producing approximately the same airflow at a given throttle possition and rpm. Not so at all for a turbo.

And if you want to see the point to a twin turbo V8, go look up a Firebird that Gale Banks did in 1986 (I think...) He stuffed a MEAN BB Chevy under the hood with twin turbos. The thing put out a reliable 1600 hp! And the car toped out (at the salt flats) right at 300 freaking mph!
Old 7/8/05, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

i would much much rather have a tt setup than supercharge my car. I hope they get everything worked out so i can buy it!
Old 7/8/05, 07:32 AM
GT Member

Not me ill take an intercooled supercharger any day. With the lag and the frying of your oil, and the amount of time it would take to install this kit.
These new twin screw blowers are much more efficient than the old roots type of supercharger I don't see where you could go wrong with a well engineered kit. A turbo might have a bit more top end speed, but who needs to go 200 mph on the salt flats. Ill take an 11 second or less 1/4 mile time any day over top end.
Old 7/8/05, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd like a TT on my car, too. I wish we knew how much this would cost...then again... I might just sell my car and get th GT500 when it comes out.
Old 7/8/05, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs down

Better do some research before you choose a supercharger of any style over a properly setup turbo system.(if you have the option of choice) :nono:

Trust me I love superchargers myself, but when I built my 93 Ranger with a 337 and twin turbo's it was just ungodly at how fast it really was. It was so docile you didn't even give it a second look, but it would blow the d--n doors off most street cars without breaking a sweat. After that I was sold.

Thanks Mike
Old 7/8/05, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@July 7, 2005, 8:41 PM
Clint,

Look into turbos a bit more before you dismiss them. I'll take 8 psi of intercooled turbo boost over 8 psi twin screw or paxton type supercharger ANY DAY. And wax your butt with it. Because I would have a lot more power at the crank.
A straight supercharger acts a lot more like a larger engine. More airflow at every rpm, but it is relative to rpm. A turbe can have a COMPLETELY different air flow depending on the rpm and throttle. Compare the airflow at 3500 rpm with the throttle wide open but the turbos not spooled up. Now compare it 3500 rpm with the turbos spinning for all they are worth. Totally different airflow situations. A belt driven supper charger will be producing approximately the same airflow at a given throttle possition and rpm. Not so at all for a turbo.
dont forget 2 things:
- turbo lag will be NONexistent in a setup like this, with the airflow comin from the exhuast of a v8 and such RELATIVELY small turbos to spool, it will be next to instant (=car will produce power almost as quickly as hittin it with a twin screw)

-turbos will NOT necessarily have more peak power or "top end" as one person said above...they will produce maximum boost MUCH MUCH sooner than any SC. 8psi from 3500rpm all the way to redline, vs boost that gradually works up to 8psi AT
redline (probly only a couple pounds at 3500-4k)

THAT SAID...i would still take a Kenne Bell over a twin turbo setup on my car if only for the sheer lack of options/market competition/experience present for turbo setups for modern v8 street cars.
Old 7/8/05, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

I can speak VERY highly of the power capibilities of turbo stuff since I work for Gale Banks..I see it every day and fact is Once achieved correctly and everything is dialed in a tubo system will deliver more power and better efficiency than a supercharger..That said we have contemplated the idea of a TT system for the 05 for awhile now but our engineering department is so taxed now with other projects for diesel applications,ford SVT and GM performance projects we have not had the time to look alot into the workings of what the programming would entail on the mustang...That being said, I put on the Vortech kit since I decided not to wait any longer for my own company to do R&D work on my car.
Old 7/8/05, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@July 7, 2005, 9:41 PM
Clint,

The problem (and the 3.5 psi limit they are currently at) has to do with how the computer is programmed. A turbo generates pressure COMPLETELY different than a supercharger of any stripe. The computer doesn't like what it sees and is throwing a hissy fit. It's just not programmed to understand turbo airflow dynamics.

And if you want to see the point to a twin turbo V8, go look up a Firebird that Gale Banks did in 1986 (I think...) He stuffed a MEAN BB Chevy under the hood with twin turbos. The thing put out a reliable 1600 hp! And the car toped out (at the salt flats) right at 300 freaking mph!
trust me.. I'm not speaking out of blind ignorance.... I'm not a mechanical moron, and that's why I just don't think that a twin turbo is worth the trouble for this application. It's my daily driver, not the car that I'm collecting a paycheck with. Sure, if I was goig to go out to the Bonneville and make a run for 300mph, I'm thinkin' that my 8 psi blower would fall short of the task.... but since I'm just going to work, or going from light to light, I'll see you at the end, and you'll be lookin' at my rear bumper.
To help you understand how a supercharger works in relation to a turbo, a centrifigal blower like Paxton or Vortec works very much like a turbo... that's why you get some people that prefer them instead of a screw... they still have to spool up. They have to build volume before they can deliver a charge. They spool much faster than a turbo does.... and I'll give the pictured system the benefit that there is quite a bit of plumbing, which will create volume, so it probably won't take as long to spool, but don't site here and argue to me that this turbo will run better than a screw that is fully charged at idle.
besides.... my mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm out fellas... have a good weekend.

Quick Reply: GT OWNERS: Twin Turbo Time!