GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

GT OWNERS: Twin Turbo Time!

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/05, 08:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by clintoris@July 8, 2005, 8:22 PM
trust me.. I'm not speaking out of blind ignorance.... I'm not a mechanical moron, and that's why I just don't think that a twin turbo is worth the trouble for this application. It's my daily driver, not the car that I'm collecting a paycheck with. Sure, if I was goig to go out to the Bonneville and make a run for 300mph, I'm thinkin' that my 8 psi blower would fall short of the task.... but since I'm just going to work, or going from light to light, I'll see you at the end, and you'll be lookin' at my rear bumper.
To help you understand how a supercharger works in relation to a turbo, a centrifigal blower like Paxton or Vortec works very much like a turbo... that's why you get some people that prefer them instead of a screw... they still have to spool up. They have to build volume before they can deliver a charge. They spool much faster than a turbo does.... and I'll give the pictured system the benefit that there is quite a bit of plumbing, which will create volume, so it probably won't take as long to spool, but don't site here and argue to me that this turbo will run better than a screw that is fully charged at idle.
besides.... my mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm out fellas... have a good weekend.

Actually you are incorrect. A well designed Turbo kit will make full boost quicker than a supercharger. Also, Turbos make more torque down low and usually under the curve.
Old 7/9/05, 02:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

^ Werd.
Old 7/9/05, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Back to topic why dosent ultimate racing just use the new fast efi system. Thats what I would do and what I will probably do when I get my stang. I have seen people use these systems with great sucess on other cars, specifically turboed cars. So what about that for an idea?
Old 7/9/05, 10:00 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by stkdidy@July 8, 2005, 3:48 PM
dont forget 2 things:
- turbo lag will be NONexistent in a setup like this, with the airflow comin from the exhuast of a v8 and such RELATIVELY small turbos to spool, it will be next to instant (=car will produce power almost as quickly as hittin it with a twin screw)

-turbos will NOT necessarily have more peak power or "top end" as one person said above...they will produce maximum boost MUCH MUCH sooner than any SC. 8psi from 3500rpm all the way to redline, vs boost that gradually works up to 8psi AT
redline (probly only a couple pounds at 3500-4k)
THAT SAID...i would still take a Kenne Bell over a twin turbo setup on my car if only for the sheer lack of options/market competition/experience present for turbo setups for modern v8 street cars.
I would have to BS on the no turbo lag statement. They have the turbos mounted under the floor boards not close to the exhaust ports of the engine and turbo lag exist on all turbo charged cars. Ever see a grand national stage at the track and spool it up before they launch? If they take off from idle there dogs on the 60 foot time. And there turbo is mounted on the engine. With the distance the turbos are from the engine and then add the length of piping to go through the inter cooler and back to the engine I would beet there is close to 10 feet of tubing. How can you say there will be no turbo lag? .
Old 7/9/05, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by killo-11@July 9, 2005, 9:03 AM
I would have to BS on the no turbo lag statement. They have the turbos mounted under the floor boards not close to the exhaust ports of the engine and turbo lag exist on all turbo charged cars. Ever see a grand national stage at the track and spool it up before they launch? If they take off from idle there dogs on the 60 foot time. And there turbo is mounted on the engine. With the distance the turbos are from the engine and then add the length of piping to go through the inter cooler and back to the engine I would beet there is close to 10 feet of tubing. How can you say there will be no turbo lag? .
i said "next to instant" power, and MEANT to say "almost nonexistent". i would bet my life that it spools faster than a centrifugal SC. why do i feel so confident? because my best friends and i have personally turbo'd an e36 m3, and twin turbo'd an ls400. one with a gt35R, and the other with twin t04 turbos...bigger than what is on the mustang kit, on smaller engines, and lemme tell ya when u hit it in those cars power is "next to instant". ever seen an m3 hit it at th same time as a viper and get the jump?

eh its all prediction anyway, well see how it is when it comes out! lol
Old 7/10/05, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That thing will melt the car down! Between heat from cats and the turbos...plus being next to tranny like that! NO Thanks!
Originally posted by GhostGT@July 6, 2005, 8:06 PM
Wow no responses, huh?
Old 7/10/05, 09:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by O5GT+July 7, 2005, 12:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(O5GT @ July 7, 2005, 12:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Torque is the problem.
[/b]

No its not, turbos produce killer torque amounts

Originally posted by killo-11@July 7, 2005, 6:47 AM
You think you get a lot of heat through the floor now wait till this thing comes out.
No you wont, the only reason they get hott being up front is because they dont have any circulation, they are stuck in the engine compartment, with the turbo underneath the car more air moves around and it is cooler, it wont get hott.
<!--QuoteBegin-clintoris
@July 7, 2005, 3:53 PM
oh, I wasn't trying to take a dig on anyone.... I just don't see the point in turbos on a V8... personally, they don't offer anything to me that I can't get out of a twin screw. You'd have to build the livin' crap out of one of these motors, including sleeving the block, to really get to the benefits of a turbo... IMO, go with something that fits a little cleaner.

I guess my sarcasm was a little too negative.
[/quote]

no, you have no idea what u are talking about, all u need is a turbo kit to get a ton of power, but if u feel the need for more than 500hp than u need a new bottom end.
Old 7/10/05, 10:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by clintoris@July 8, 2005, 8:22 PM
trust me.. I'm not speaking out of blind ignorance.... I'm not a mechanical moron, and that's why I just don't think that a twin turbo is worth the trouble for this application. It's my daily driver, not the car that I'm collecting a paycheck with. Sure, if I was goig to go out to the Bonneville and make a run for 300mph, I'm thinkin' that my 8 psi blower would fall short of the task.... but since I'm just going to work, or going from light to light, I'll see you at the end, and you'll be lookin' at my rear bumper.
To help you understand how a supercharger works in relation to a turbo, a centrifigal blower like Paxton or Vortec works very much like a turbo... that's why you get some people that prefer them instead of a screw... they still have to spool up. They have to build volume before they can deliver a charge. They spool much faster than a turbo does.... and I'll give the pictured system the benefit that there is quite a bit of plumbing, which will create volume, so it probably won't take as long to spool, but don't site here and argue to me that this turbo will run better than a screw that is fully charged at idle.
besides.... my mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm out fellas... have a good weekend.
You are not too intelligent when it comes to turbos. The larger the turbo or the turbo housing the more time it takes to spool. but if u have a single t-60, with 8psi of air:air intercooled boost, u can make 450 or more rwhp and the turbo is so small it will spool almost instantly. The centrifugal blower is not as good as a turbo. a kenne bell is awesome for low end torque, but a turbo would beat it.
Old 7/10/05, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

The "problem" with turbos IMHO is the plumbing necessary. For a daily driver, you shouldn't need that much boost anyway, and a blower should easily provide all the power you would want on the street, with a much easier to install system. The added expense (usually) and complexity of the turbo doesn't outweight the higher efficiency and greater top-end power, or ease of altering the boost the turbo provides IMHO.

Now, in a racing application, a turbo is probably the way to go.
Old 7/11/05, 12:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@July 10, 2005, 10:06 PM
You are not too intelligent when it comes to turbos. The larger the turbo or the turbo housing the more time it takes to spool. but if u have a single t-60, with 8psi of air:air intercooled boost, u can make 450 or more rwhp and the turbo is so small it will spool almost instantly. The centrifugal blower is not as good as a turbo. a kenne bell is awesome for low end torque, but a turbo would beat it.
Listen Doug, I wouldn't sit here and accuse you of not knowing what you're talking about when it comes to stinking the meat pole just because you said that your teeth always get in the way. I'm sayin' that with a TWIN SCREW, you're going to get all 8 psi INSTANTLY wheresas a turbo will have to spool. I'd prefer to have a twin screw because I like the fact that I can have all of my boost and I don't have to worry about all of the plumbing and the maintenance, and failablility of a turbo. I'm not saying that a twin screw isn't going to fail either, I'm just saying that the oil bearing that a turbine rides on inside a turbo does consume oil and has a potential to over heat and can cause a lot of damage to the motor if it fails. I know, I know, I know supercharges break too, and I'm sure that you have all kinds of stories about how bad they are and that they have a higher fail rate over turbos, but.... I don't care. I was just explaining that I'd prefer to have a twin screw over a turbo. SO... that being said... let's just agree to disagree, and ... BLOWER ME
Old 7/11/05, 12:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@July 11, 2005, 1:22 PM
Listen Doug, I wouldn't site here and accuse you of not knowing what you're talking about when it comes to stinking the meat pole just because you said that your teeth always get in the way. I'm sayin' that with a TWIN SCREW, you're going to get all 8 psi INSTANTLY wheresas a turbo will have to spool. I'd prefer to have a twin screw because I like the fact that I can have all of my boost and I don't have to worry about all of the plumbing and the maintenance, and failablility of a turbo. I'm not saying that a twin screw isn't going to fail either, I'm just saying that the oil bearing that a turbine rides on inside a turbo does consume oil and has a potential to over heat and can cause a lot of damage to the motor if it fails. I know, I know, I know supercharges break too, and I'm sure that you have all kinds of stories about how bad they are and that they have a higher fail rate over turbos, but.... I don't care. I was just explaining that I'd prefer to have a twin screw over a turbo. SO... that being said... let's just agree to disagree, and ... BLOWER ME
Instantly isn't the right term, since a twin screw still builds boost on engine rpm. Turbos are more efficient, end of story.
Old 7/11/05, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@July 11, 2005, 12:46 PM
Instantly isn't the right term, since a twin screw still builds boost on engine rpm. Turbos are more efficient, end of story.
you must mean more efficient because the turbine in a turbo actually restricts the airflow created by the vacuum of the pistons on the intake stroke until it spools up to a neutral atmosphere, and only then does it begin to build up boost? OK... now I understand why I'm so ignorant and unintelligent.
I'd just like to thank everyone participating in this thread that has been able to teach me humility and help me to understand that the larger the e-peen .... the more intelligent and omnipotent one OBVIOUSLY is. So all you super charger fans out there.... we'll just have to tuck our tiny peters and walk away.... hopefully we can find some dignity in a thread where we can discuss the performance advantage of Screaming Yellow over Windveil Blue.
Old 7/11/05, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@July 11, 2005, 2:15 PM
you must mean more efficient because the turbine in a turbo actually restricts the airflow created by the vacuum of the pistons on the intake stroke until it spools up to a neutral atmosphere, and only then does it begin to build up boost? OK... now I understand why I'm so ignorant and unintelligent.
I'd just like to thank everyone participating in this thread that has been able to teach me humility and help me to understand that the larger the e-peen .... the more intelligent and omnipotent one OBVIOUSLY is. So all you super charger fans out there.... we'll just have to tuck our tiny peters and walk away.... hopefully we can find some dignity in a thread where we can discuss the performance advantage of Screaming Yellow over Windveil Blue.
You said it, not me. Your rhetoric seems to match that description. I don't understand why people on the internet get pissed when you try and correct their misinformation.
Old 7/11/05, 01:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@July 11, 2005, 1:30 PM
You said it, not me. Your rhetoric seems to match that description. I don't understand why people on the internet get pissed when you try and correct their misinformation.

misinformation? how about you explain to me where I counterdicted myself, or was misinforming anyone

CORRECTION:

ok, I went back and caught my mistake.... you're not getting all 8 psi instantly.... you are, however, bootsing at idle. So there is a charge of air, but I was wrong when I said all 8 psi.
Old 7/11/05, 01:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@July 11, 2005, 2:32 PM
misinformation? how about you explain to me where I counterdicted myself, or was misinforming anyone

CORRECTION:

ok, I went back and caught my mistake.... you're not getting all 8 psi instantly.... you are, however, bootsing at idle. So there is a charge of air, but I was wrong when I said all 8 psi.
Exactly. Also, you are leaving out all the advantages of a well engineered turbo system. You would be amazed at how quickly the ball bearing GT series garretts spool. If you plan on building the engine, a turbo is the way to go. I don't plan on building my engine, so the Saleen Supercharger looks real nice.
Old 7/11/05, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@July 11, 2005, 1:45 PM
Exactly. Also, you are leaving out all the advantages of a well engineered turbo system. You would be amazed at how quickly the ball bearing GT series garretts spool. If you plan on building the engine, a turbo is the way to go. I don't plan on building my engine, so the Saleen Supercharger looks real nice.
if you go back to one of my first responses to this thread, you can see that I even made that point myself... I'l even quote it for ya:

"oh, I wasn't trying to take a dig on anyone.... I just don't see the point in turbos on a V8... personally, they don't offer anything to me that I can't get out of a twin screw. You'd have to build the livin' crap out of one of these motors, including sleeving the block, to really get to the benefits of a turbo... IMO, go with something that fits a little cleaner. "

I can certainly understand why one would put a turbo on a 4 popper... because by strapping on an S/C, the parasitic hp loss negates the benefit of it.... so use a turbo where you can have the benefit of boost.... you just have to wait for it.

I guess I'll just make one final point.... arguing online is like competing in the Special Olympics.... no matter who wins the argument, he's still a retard.

So.... with that..... DAAARRRRRRRRRR!
Old 7/11/05, 06:33 PM
GT Member

If turbos are so great why do some of the most powerful gas motors use superchargers? As in 6000+ HP coming out of top fuel motor? I know these are purpose built motors but I still don't see the big advantage of a turbo. And I go back to my original statement about turbo placement. It seems simple to me the closer to the head the faster the spool up of the turbo and in this kit they are not close. Also with who knows how much piping to get from the outlet of the compressor under the floor boards to the front of the car through the intercooler and then up and in to the engine there must be lag. One more thing if you look at the posted Dynojet chart the run was done @ 52.89F that's the coldest I have seen of any dyno run.
I don't mean to flame anyone but please state some facts with your opinions.
"Fordracing200"One more thing if you had one of these cars you would know about the under floor heat produced just from the cats that radiates through the floor board, this problem would be much worse with a turbo sitting 6 inches under your feet.
Old 7/11/05, 07:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by clintoris@July 11, 2005, 1:22 PM
Listen Doug, I wouldn't sit here and accuse you of not knowing what you're talking about when it comes to stinking the meat pole just because you said that your teeth always get in the way. I'm sayin' that with a TWIN SCREW, you're going to get all 8 psi INSTANTLY wheresas a turbo will have to spool. I'd prefer to have a twin screw because I like the fact that I can have all of my boost and I don't have to worry about all of the plumbing and the maintenance, and failablility of a turbo. I'm not saying that a twin screw isn't going to fail either, I'm just saying that the oil bearing that a turbine rides on inside a turbo does consume oil and has a potential to over heat and can cause a lot of damage to the motor if it fails. I know, I know, I know supercharges break too, and I'm sure that you have all kinds of stories about how bad they are and that they have a higher fail rate over turbos, but.... I don't care. I was just explaining that I'd prefer to have a twin screw over a turbo. SO... that being said... let's just agree to disagree, and ... BLOWER ME
I love Kenne Bell and twin screw blowers of all sort, but a friend has a F-250 V-10 and he had a turbo, he went to a kenne bell with more boost than his turbo an dit was slower so he sold it. Thats what shocked me, so now i favor turbos more. no need for you to be a jackarse
Old 7/11/05, 07:17 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by clintoris@July 11, 2005, 2:15 PM
the blowers pulley takes away horsepower, and alot of it. the turbo only utilizes 30hp to run, the blowers take anywhee from 50-200hp to operate. what is it with u and male body parts? just STFU

and for you Micheal, its a mustang, not a lincoln town car, get used to it
Old 7/11/05, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@July 6, 2005, 5:04 PM
Check this out: Ultimate Racing has come up with a Twin Turbo for the 2005 GT that is still under development due to problems with ECU tuning. Look through the site, it looks interesting, but only about 356rwhp? Thats nothing compared to what Vortech or other Superchargers offer. What are your thoughts? :notnice:

2005 Mustang GT Twin Turbo

so there is a group of you that really dont understand the benifit to a turbo please feel to read what these people do and yes they got a 03 cobra (stock) to make 990 hp with only race gas and a twin turbo...
"While we were impressed with the power output at 11 psi, we continued by upping the boost pressure to 13.6 psi where the twin-turbo engine thumped out 830 hp and 756 lb-ft of torque. This thing just seemed to be getting happier and happier with each turn of the screw. With our air/fuel and timing still well within safety levels (combined with the safety of 114-octane fuel), we pushed on to 16.2 psi. Now things were getting serious, as the 4.6-liter produced 891 hp and 815 lb-ft of torque."

"Our final effort brought the boost pressure to 20.8 psi and the power to an incredible 990 hp, while the peak torque stood at 911 lb-ft. Remember that all this is from an engine that displaces just 281 ci. Turbos rule!"

Quad-Cam Crate Upgrade, Richard Holdener, Super Rod Magazine, November 2004.

Quick Reply: GT OWNERS: Twin Turbo Time!