GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Got screwed on used Predator

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/05, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone else thinking of buying a used Predator, BE VERY CAREFUL!
I had specifically asked the seller if he was sure that the unit was unlocked (returned to stock tune), and was told yes.
It was recommended that I first update the software (free download form Diablosport), because there had been at least two revisions since he had last used it.
I bought the cord and uploaded r23 revision successfully, but the 87 and 91 tunes disappeared from the menu? A custom tune called "Freedom" (that I had not previously seen), became the only tune listed.
I called the Diablosport tech line and spoke with Brian, who was very helpful and polite.
He did the upgrade on an in-house unit while I was on the phone to see what he got. He then told me to erase the "Freedom" tune and the other tune options would reappear. They did, but the unit would not let me download them, the message read something like "Unit not registered to this vehicle". He then had me check the last tune accessed, which shows this "Freedom" tune?
The long and short of it is, despite Brian's help on the phone, I'm stuck, and the device is now a paperweight for me.
The only "Custom" tune that I saw in the unit when I got it was named with a series of letters and numbers (no longer there), not "Freedom". I can't swear absolutely, or prove that "Freedom" was not there though, so I’m SOL…
The seller is not very cooperative, I may be able to get a partial refund, but I had also paid shipping, dollar exchange and import taxes, never mind the long drive down to the forwarder to pick it up...
Learn from my mistake; Be darned sure it works on your car if you are thinking of buying a used Predator! :nono:
Paul
Old 8/22/05, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I was told that each car needs it's own tuner and one tuner can't tune 2 different cars? that's what doug at bamachips told me..but maybe if you reload your stock tune to your car then maybe it will start new again but i'm not sure.
Old 8/22/05, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That really stinks Paul. :notnice: Did you use a credit card? If yes, contact the company that issued the card and have them pursue it. Good luck.
Old 8/22/05, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

The stock tune is in my car, I never did get the unit to successfully download a performance tune. The previous owner insisted that he had returned the stock tune to his car, therefore unlocking the unit and allowing it to be used on another vehicle.
It was only after the r23 upgrade that I actually tried to load a tune into my car, with no luck...
I have since spoken with a Diablosport dealer, who says that Diablosport could unlock my unit, but they rarely do in order to prevent the use of a single unit on multiple vehicles. They apparently use an ever changing code "Key" that allows them, or one of their dealers, to reset the unit.
I guess I understand Diablosport's position, I did buy it used, and despite the insistence of the previous owner that he had returned the stock tune to his car (unlocking it), I can't prove it. :bang:
Also, I'm not going to lie and say "I am absolutely positive that the "Freedom" tune was not in the unit before the upgrade" but I'm quite sure there was only one custom tune listed, and it was not called "Freedom".
I'll probably still go with a Diablosport rather than an SCT, I had realy done a lot of homework on it, and I still think it's the best for my application.
I do have to be honest however, and say that all of this has certainly taken the fun out of the whole experience...
Paul

PS. Tom, it was a private sale so I did not pay with a credit card.
Old 8/22/05, 04:57 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought updating firmware wiped all previous tunes?
Does that not unmarry the unit?

Or do they tell you to do that just as a precaution so it doesnt mess up the stock tune?

There's gotta be a way to offload all tunes and unmarry it without having the original car...
if not ..THAT sucks
Old 8/22/05, 05:32 PM
V6 Member

Have you tried installing an old revision? Like maybe r21 or r18?
Old 8/22/05, 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Paul I am very sorry to see you were burned however everyone but you knows not to purchase a used Predator without trying it first. No E bay special rip offs.
Old 8/23/05, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BlueCar@August 22, 2005, 6:35 PM
Have you tried installing an old revision? Like maybe r21 or r18?
I don't know for sure that the r23 download had anything to do with the "Freedom" tune and the unit locking, the Diablosport tech said no. If it did, it would surprise me that going back to a previous firmware would undo it? Where would I find an earlier version, I only see r23 listed on their site?
Paul
Old 8/23/05, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles Paul. That sux.

Man, it has been so long since I updated mine that I truly don't remember. But for some reason I want to say that the Predator won't allow you to update with the stock tune still stored on the unit. And the only way to remove the stock tune from the unit is to restore it to the vehicle. Like I said, it has been a while since I updated, using a custom dyno tune so don't really care about the Diablo updates, and I could be wrong.
Old 8/23/05, 01:28 PM

Hawg, You're right, according to Daiblo sport the stock tune needs to be restored in the vehicle. If 65fastback never loaded the tune in his car and the previous owner restored the factory tune, he shouldn't had any problems with the update. My guess is the it was never done by the previous owner.
Old 8/23/05, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 1fast2005gt@August 23, 2005, 1:31 PM
Hawg, You're right, according to Daiblo sport the stock tune needs to be restored in the vehicle. If 65fastback never loaded the tune in his car and the previous owner restored the factory tune, he shouldn't had any problems with the update. My guess is the it was never done by the previous owner.
Yea, but wouldn't he have gotten some sort of error trying to update if the previous owner never restored it to stock?

Just brainstorming here maybe trying to help come up with a reason why it is doing what it is doing.
Old 8/23/05, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The following statement applies only to the U7140 Predator which boots with the DiabloSport Logo:

Far be it from me to dispute what DiabloSport's instructions state on their web page but I have never restored the stock tune in the vehicle before updating the software in the tool. I have also never had a problem with the tool afterwards. Yes all Custom Tunes are erased after updating but my Custom Tune is stored on my PC. Just reload the Custom Tune and I'm good to go. I believe the reason they ask you to reinstall the original tune is as a safety precaution in case there is an issue during installation of the revised software. I am one of the early buyers as well - updating from the original r6 release software.

Still don't believe me? Read their own instructions as posted online. The instructions contradict each other:

http://www.diablosport.com/Downloads_U7140.php

Go Figure!
Old 8/24/05, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

It's weird that you say when you do an update that all custom tunes are erased. With me it appears that I gained a "Freedom" tune after the download? :scratch:
The Diablosport tech on the phone had me erase it to be able to see the 87 and 91 tunes on the menu again?
I did a Google on Diablosport and "Freedom" and here’s what I found Diablosport Freedom program. I don't know if the two are connected, but after the update my Predator shows "Freedom" as the last installed tune in the vehicle? :scratch: :scratch:
I wrote to Diablosport asking the following;

If he is telling the truth, (still maintains it) would the unit have been unlocked? (I was refering to the PO)
I did install the r23 firmware; could I have done this if the stock tune was in the device and not in his car?
Have you ever heard of the “Freedom” tune? Could it have somehow been installed with the r23 update?
Is there even the remotest possibility that the r23 update caused the unit to not work with my vehicle?

I did get a reply the same day, but they didn't directly answer my questions, simply said that there is nothing they will do because the unit is locked to the other car. It was suggested that my best bet would be to put the stock tune back in the original vehicle to unlock the device? I wrote back saying that the PO sold the car and no longer has access to it (I had stated that the PO insists that the stock tune was in his car ) .
They did offer me $100 off the list price of a new unit in exchange for the old one, but it works out cheaper to buy a new one from vendor...
I'm still not positive that the unit was locked to the PO's car when I got it, but I guess there is no way of knowing for sure? :bang:
Paul