GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Got my new Borla Exhaust Over The Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/05, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about dynamat on the floor boards/wheel wells?
Old 4/28/05, 02:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by jerseygirl+April 27, 2005, 8:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jerseygirl @ April 27, 2005, 8:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie@April 26, 2005, 4:39 PM
Just drive faster so you don't hear the drone
Yea......that will be a new one......"I'm sorry officer, I was speeding because I need to get past the drone level" :cop2: :nono:
[/b][/quote]

That's better than my last run-in with the police doing 80 in a 40. There was this big black cloud overhead and about 3 raindrops hit my windshield, so i started racing the storm cloud. Dude pulls me over. I'm like "I was racing the storm cloud to avoid the rain." He laughed and told me to get out of the vehicle.

- Good Times
Old 4/28/05, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hazedav+April 28, 2005, 2:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hazedav @ April 28, 2005, 2:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by jerseygirl@April 27, 2005, 8:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie
@April 26, 2005, 4:39 PM
Just drive faster so you don't hear the drone

Yea......that will be a new one......"I'm sorry officer, I was speeding because I need to get past the drone level" :cop2: :nono:
That's better than my last run-in with the police doing 80 in a 40. There was this big black cloud overhead and about 3 raindrops hit my windshield, so i started racing the storm cloud. Dude pulls me over. I'm like "I was racing the storm cloud to avoid the rain." He laughed and told me to get out of the vehicle.

- Good Times
[/b][/quote]

Old 4/28/05, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@April 28, 2005, 12:48 PM
Another solution to this drone issue (I had the same issue on my '00GT with the FlowMaster Series 40 two chamber exhaust) is to insulate the trunk floor and undercar muffler area with DynaMat "Extreme" it is heat resistant and will help to quiet down the drone - as well as all the road nosie these Mustangs transmit. Ford was very "sparing" in their use of sound deadening materials on our Mustang's (bean counters I'm sure) and the extra sound deadening really helps.

No I'm not in any way connected with Dynamat - just a hugh believer in the product!!

Good luck!!
Fman67 also gave me that advice. I am going to try it and I'll let everyone know what the results are.
Old 4/28/05, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm likely going to give that stuff a try as well. Maybe next month...
Old 4/28/05, 08:00 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Installed the Borla today.........all I can say is WOW!!!

It really doesn't drone that much and is well withing my tolerance. I can't see how they could have avoided it. But compared to how good it sounds, it is insignificant IMO.

Guys, this exhaust is the ONLY way to go.
Old 4/29/05, 06:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dan@April 28, 2005, 8:03 PM

It really doesn't drone that much and is well withing my tolerance. I can't see how they could have avoided it. But compared to how good it sounds, it is insignificant IMO.

Dan,

I have a 45-minute commute to work everyday where I average between 50 and 80 MPH. Do you think the drone would be a bother for this long of a drive? Say I have the windows up because it’s raining or cold. I realize you’re not me but any input would help. Thanks!
Old 4/29/05, 08:26 AM

Hey guys-

Just talked to Carlos at Saleen-
He said due to the drone and problems that they have had with Borla cracking- they are switching back to Magnaflow!

I bought a Saleen and the drone is TERRIBLE and my mufflers started rattling after 3 weeks!
Old 4/29/05, 11:26 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by bpmurr+April 29, 2005, 8:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bpmurr @ April 29, 2005, 8:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dan@April 28, 2005, 8:03 PM

Dan,

I have a 45-minute commute to work everyday where I average between 50 and 80 MPH. Do you think the drone would be a bother for this long of a drive? Say I have the windows up because it’s raining or cold. I realize you’re not me but any input would help. Thanks!
[/b][/quote]

I have a 45 minute commute as well but haven't done it as of yet. Its definately tolerable IMO. The sound it makes when your driving around/in parking lots/off the stop makes a bit of drone worth it. But, it depends on the person. Jerseygirl doesn't seem to like it, I don't mind it at all. Really not that loud. I CAN make it drone REALLY BAD if I try but that's not the way I drive (like playing an instrument).

What I love about this system is its loud and DEEP! Louder than Magnaflow by far and not as raspy as Bassani. I've got a lot of positive reaction so far and I've only had it one day! I've heard people say, "wow" etc....

I'd say the drone is more of a "hum" on the highway and its only a problem for slower speeds (ie. 50mph) I believe. I'll test it out on the highway soon and let you know. I've been doing all city driving for the last little while.

Dan
Old 4/29/05, 11:31 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by bluewhale@April 29, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hey guys-

Just talked to Carlos at Saleen-
He said due to the drone and problems that they have had with Borla cracking- they are switching back to Magnaflow!

I bought a Saleen and the drone is TERRIBLE and my mufflers started rattling after 3 weeks!
Doesn't Saleen have the full Borla exhaust with Headers? Headers will definately have a HUGE effect on drone and cracking.

Magnaflow is too quiet for me. I've heard one in person. Very nice, but not that much different than stock. The magnaflow is deeper but doesn't have the "bit" the stock system has from what I've heard.

The Borla is quite a bit louder (some have said my car sounds at least 75% -100% louder) and is a very refinded deep powerful sound. Probably the deepest of any system. Open her up and its such an amazing sound.

I do my homework when spending this kind of money. I could have afforded any of the other systems (since Borla was more expensive), but I really think its the best. But that's just my opinion.
Old 4/29/05, 12:01 PM

Headers would effect cracking? How? my car doesnt have headers by the way
When I say cracking I dont mean a sound, I mean my mufflers physically fell apart-
Borla quality stinks
They did sound good (I like a little drone) but now that they cracked apart and are rattling and they sound like hiney

Anything sounds better then what I have now. I have heard a Magnaflow and it was deeper then my Borlas- I also heard SLP which was deeper as well- my Borlas had a more exotic raspy sound similar to Bassani- now my Borlas have a cling clang crap sound
In the mean time my Saleen will stay parked because it is embarassing right now

Stay away from Borla or risk having your exhaust fall apart like mine did
Old 4/29/05, 12:05 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Borla quality stinks
Mine are perfect . . . . sorry about your luck with them.

Glad to see Saleen taking care of your problem.
Old 4/29/05, 12:08 PM

sorry maybe that was harsh for me to say but Im just upset right now
Old 4/29/05, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I was warned about the cracking issue with the Borlas but decided to take my chances anyway. They have a lifetime warranty.

The drone issue is much better. Learning how to drive in a way to minimize it and with the nice weather windows down most of the time anyway. They really do sound great!
Old 4/29/05, 01:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I haven't had any problem with the Borla exhaust on my Accord but with what I'm hearing about Borla I'm probably going to go Magnaflow. My friend has it on his stang. While it isn't much louder it is louder and doesn't have a drone. Oh and it sure as heck looks better then the stock pipes. I might end up just changing the stock pipe tips.
Old 4/29/05, 06:07 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I haven't met one person who doesn't absolutely LOVE my exhaust so far.

All I can say is that its the best sounding system (to my ears anyway) out there now of the ones I've heard. Its plenty loud and deep and throaty.

But I have mine and am very happy with it. That being said, you guys can make your own decisions on what you think is best. But I suggest listening to it because regret can be a $@*&^.
Old 4/29/05, 07:53 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah but dan, you heard it and still doubted
Old 4/29/05, 08:09 PM

dan u got any sound clips?
Old 4/29/05, 10:12 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Boomer@April 29, 2005, 9:56 PM
Yeah but dan, you heard it and still doubted
Actually not really...... I loved it when we met up. But Jerseygirls comments made me wonder if I really didn't hear the way it really sounded on the highway (since we didn't go on the highway).

Just because it sounded great around streets didn't rule out that it was like a jackhammer to your brain on the highway.

Either way, I ordered it even after reading the drone comments in the original borla threads BECAUSE I heard it.

Conclusion: Listening to it will sell you.
Old 4/29/05, 10:13 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by nullzor@April 29, 2005, 10:12 PM
dan u got any sound clips?
Not right now. I'm hoping if me, pete (Boomer) and steve (Galaxie) meet up, steve will bring his camera and I'll take a few passes and we'll post it up. Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Got my new Borla Exhaust Over The Weekend