Search this Thread

Old 4/26/05, 04:36 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just drive faster so you don't hear the drone
Old 4/26/05, 04:41 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dan you were shotgun in my car...and it didn't bother you.
It depends yes how you drive, and whether you avoid the bad spot.

5th is the worst gear for drone @ around 80-100km/h

The exhaust mellows...doesn't get much louder at all..
I think it got a tad quieter and meaner...but less drone than before.

Its actually not bad.
Going back to stock I wouldn't even consider, as now I'm SO hooked on the sound.

Dan remember back to your 'Torch/Redfire' back and forth debate in your head?
this is it again, listen to us
we WERE right afterall
hahaha
Old 4/26/05, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get the resonators after you install would be a very unwise decision. It would end up costing you twice as much than getting them put in in the first place. There is room, they just cut out a section of the piping for the resonators. They do not eliminate noise completely, majorly though on the highway they do. Again, depending upon how you drive. Best bet would be to get them installed with everything else.

Matt
Old 4/26/05, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@April 26, 2005, 5:35 PM
To get the resonators after you install would be a very unwise decision. It would end up costing you twice as much than getting them put in in the first place. There is room, they just cut out a section of the piping for the resonators. They do not eliminate noise completely, majorly though on the highway they do. Again, depending upon how you drive. Best bet would be to get them installed with everything else.

Matt
Ok on the resonator issue, I don't have any. That being said it was a little better today. Beautiful day, windows open.....and worked on avoiding the 2000 rpm "sweet" spot with driving modifications........then I was able to enjoy the new "growl"!
Old 4/26/05, 07:25 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Boomer@April 26, 2005, 6:44 PM
Dan you were shotgun in my car...and it didn't bother you.
It depends yes how you drive, and whether you avoid the bad spot.

5th is the worst gear for drone @ around 80-100km/h

The exhaust mellows...doesn't get much louder at all..
I think it got a tad quieter and meaner...but less drone than before.

Its actually not bad.
Going back to stock I wouldn't even consider, as now I'm SO hooked on the sound.

Dan remember back to your 'Torch/Redfire' back and forth debate in your head?
this is it again, listen to us
we WERE right afterall
hahaha
Hehe.....torch/redfire kinda deal eh? No worries then.

I rode in your car pete, it sounded friggin' awesome. Slight drone while crusing but really not that big a deal IMO.
Old 4/26/05, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

just keep your car in a lower gear. 5th gear and low rpm=drone.
Old 4/26/05, 07:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jerseygirl@April 26, 2005, 4:13 AM
I'm guessing you eventually get useto it?????
Ya, when you get half deaf from it!! LOL

As others have said, windows down a little helps a bit or driving outside the drone zone if you can or changing rear end gears if your most common speed & rpm is in the drone zone. 3.73 or 4.10 will raise your rpms at a given speed.

Try lowering the car. No kidding, it definitely changed the tone on mine a little (for the better) and lessened the drone on my Bassanis. If you consider the area under the car as an "echo" chamber, it's now about 8 cubic feet smaller in volume (187.6" length * 73.9" width * 1 inch lower).
They're real nice when they're stone cold; they get a little louder and deeper when they're hot but not as bad as before.
Old 4/26/05, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad you finally figured out a way to get used to it, because your were in a hard place!! Enjoy your new "nay" aka "growl"!!!

Matt
Old 4/26/05, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rear diff gear change = drone at another rpm/speed + $$$$$ . . . . . resonaters = less exhaust flow + more $$$$ . . . . windows down = water in the car if it's raining.

Quite a conundrum!!!!!!!!
Old 4/26/05, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jerseygirl+April 26, 2005, 10:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jerseygirl @ April 26, 2005, 10:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@April 26, 2005, 8:43 AM
Originally posted by jerseygirl@April 26, 2005, 9:38 AM
Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@April 26, 2005, 8:30 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dan
@April 26, 2005, 8:42 AM
BTW, I was talking to Borla and they have a "baffle" (metal insert) which you can put into the pipe to reduce the drone. Might want to give them a call.

You have resonators right?? They eliminate most of the "drone" while cruising around town.

Matt

Ok Matt, this is where I look stupid again.......I don't know???? How could I tell?

Hi...listen, i had JBA's ,and they also "droned"! All aftermarket performance mufflers will give you more interior "resonance" it is one of the trade-offs of more sound and HP...what i did,and it helps alot...is use Q-Pads..in trunk ,especially under spare tire! Put a couple layers on.Also,under rear seats! These self adhesive pads,help take out the "tinny sound" out of metal. Stereo gurus use it all the time. A more familiar name would be DYNAMAT. Check for some at your local Stereo store or from CRUTCHFIELD..online! Good luck,hope i helped you a bit!
Ok JerseyGirl, here we go, resonators are right after the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter looks like an oval (it's wider than the pipes) on some cars. The resonators follow, they are about 2 ft in length and are not as wide as the catalytic converter, but are wider than the exhaust pipe itself. Hope this helps, if you have any more ?? let me know !

Matt

Hey Matt, thanks for the explanation, I'm going to check this out and let you know what I find out!
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/26/05, 09:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@April 26, 2005, 7:08 PM
Rear diff gear change = drone at another rpm/speed + $$$$$ . . . . . resonaters = less exhaust flow + more $$$$ . . . . windows down = water in the car if it's raining.

Quite a conundrum!!!!!!!!
How about $5.00 for earplugs if ya need a break?
Old 4/26/05, 11:32 PM
Cobra R Member

What do you mean by drone, real loud or something? Not quite sure what you mean by drone? I know I loved the last borla I saw on a 4.6. Sounded mean. Try to elaborat on drone!
Old 4/27/05, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@April 26, 2005, 4:39 PM
Just drive faster so you don't hear the drone
Yea......that will be a new one......"I'm sorry officer, I was speeding because I need to get past the drone level" :cop2: :nono:
Old 4/27/05, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by sodaman@April 26, 2005, 11:35 PM
What do you mean by drone, real loud or something? Not quite sure what you mean by drone? I know I loved the last borla I saw on a 4.6. Sounded mean. Try to elaborat on drone!
You likely would have to be inside the car to notice the drone. Factory exhaust systems are usually tuned to eliminate the drone, but many aftermarket exhausts exhibit a drone in the 1900-2100 rpm range. The problem is you usually don't notice it until you've purchased and installed the system. I'm always hesisitant about changing an exhaust system for this reason
Old 4/27/05, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Drone... Haha, you guys don't know a thing about it, at least compared to chambered flowmasters.. However I, being young, love it!!! I love being able to barely touch the pedal and everyone around can hear the car. I'm sure after years it might not be so nice, but for now i love it!! I haven't heard too many borlas in person yet so I don't really know how to compare it though.
Old 4/27/05, 02:56 PM

[/quote]Yea......that will be a new one......"I'm sorry officer, I was speeding because I need to get past the drone level" :cop2: :nono:
[/quote]

Hey, some cops would know exactly what you were going through. My Magnapacks have the same drone...I think I am going tone deaf and not noticing it anymore.
Old 4/27/05, 06:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh its got drone..
Yes, for the first little while makes your head want to pop off....
Its that 'resonating sound that you can't tell where its coming from'

It lightens up..
At least I think it does...if i could hear
Old 4/27/05, 06:57 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Wait till you have pack of about 6-7 Mustangs with aftermarket exhaust and the windows down, driving down the freeway nose to tail . . . now that's drone . . . and I'm addicited to it!!
Old 4/28/05, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@April 26, 2005, 9:08 PM
Rear diff gear change = drone at another rpm/speed + $$$$$ . . . . .
No .... Most people experience the "drone" around 1900-2100 rpms. If you put in a different gear like 4:10s you will be out of this so called "sweet" spot for drone. Driving around town, most want to ride in 4th gear ....On the highway most want to ride in 5th gear. If the gear ups the RPMs a little bit out of the "sweet" spot you will not get any drone. Drone is not evident at "multilple" RPM levels.
With that all said, I drive around in 3rd gear around town ... Never get above 45 ... and on the highway just tooling around town, I never leave 4th gear. If I have to take longer highway trips, I just take the FX4.

All this = NO DRONE.
Old 4/28/05, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Another solution to this drone issue (I had the same issue on my '00GT with the FlowMaster Series 40 two chamber exhaust) is to insulate the trunk floor and undercar muffler area with DynaMat "Extreme" it is heat resistant and will help to quiet down the drone - as well as all the road nosie these Mustangs transmit. Ford was very "sparing" in their use of sound deadening materials on our Mustang's (bean counters I'm sure) and the extra sound deadening really helps.

No I'm not in any way connected with Dynamat - just a hugh believer in the product!!

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Got my new Borla Exhaust Over The Weekend