GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Giddy like a schoolgirl....Bullitt intake and tune installed

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/08, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Giddy like a schoolgirl....Bullitt intake and tune installed

Got a Bullitt intake and custom tunes from Chris Rose at Tillman Speed. The install went pretty easy other than the fact that the stud that replaces the bolt at the front of the stock airbox was missing. The Bullitt intake replaces that bolt with a bolt that has a stud that protrudes from the top of the bolt that the Bullitt intake attaches to. The stud passes through a metal and rubber grommet in a notch in the front of the intake. I found a longer bolt with the same fine thread pattern but the grommet was slightly too small. A drill bit opened up the metal part and I simply used the bolt then to hold the front of the intake down.

I then installed the tune after consulting again with Chris on the phone. The SCT instructions don't specifically state that the stock tune will be uploaded into the tuner so I double checked with Chris first. I then installed his 91 Performance tune and took it for a spin. I was blown away at the difference in performance. The lag on the gas pedal is gone and the acceleration is much better. The difference was night and day. I then installed the 91 Race tune. The difference was not as dramatic as the change from stock to the performance tune, but again, much improvement. My testing was short so I will see later during my commute more changes I'm sure. From a few runs around the neighborhood, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

While I was at it, I installed a CHE extreme duty adjustable panhard bar and brace. I used their instructions, coupled with TacoBill's posts, and it went very smooth. I matched the length of the stock panhard and visually it looks like I may not have to do any adjusting. I will measure it later with the plumb method. The last thing I am waiting for is the right sway bar mounts and then they go on. Then I am done (yeah, right). Actually, I think I am going to pick up a set of adjustable UCA's so I can get the pinion angle perfect. Ok, and maybe a SHR billet gas door, and maybe some SHR interior parts, and maybe some more Steeda front suspension goodies, and maybe.......
Old 11/24/08, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
nice!
Old 11/24/08, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool!! I am using your suspension feedback to help in my never ending search for the right parts! Any final decision yet on the LCAs?? In my opinion, I think those and the upper control arm are the most important. And now that I have the "blower bug", I want those to all be good and solid. I am sold on the Steeda for the upper as that one is clearly the strongest built/looking one I have seen... but too many options for the LCAs.

Keep us posted on your final direction as I assume yours will be on, tested, and very broke in before mine gets out of the garage after the "spring thaw"!!
Old 11/24/08, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on another satisfied customer of Chris's
Old 11/25/08, 09:07 AM
Former Vendor

Glad you're happy! Thanks for the review!

Chris Rose
Old 11/25/08, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

Doogie-- I'm with you, too many LCA options. I went with the Spohn adjustable lca and their adjustable panhard bar. I am more than happy with the outcome and they look great powdercoated in red.
Old 11/25/08, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for your impressions of the Bullitt intake with Tillman's tunes, I'm thinking this is the path I'll take next year for my '08.
Old 11/25/08, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Got a Bullitt intake and custom tunes from Chris Rose at Tillman Speed. The install went pretty easy other than the fact that the stud that replaces the bolt at the front of the stock airbox was missing. The Bullitt intake replaces that bolt with a bolt that has a stud that protrudes from the top of the bolt that the Bullitt intake attaches to. The stud passes through a metal and rubber grommet in a notch in the front of the intake. I found a longer bolt with the same fine thread pattern but the grommet was slightly too small. A drill bit opened up the metal part and I simply used the bolt then to hold the front of the intake down.

I then installed the tune after consulting again with Chris on the phone. The SCT instructions don't specifically state that the stock tune will be uploaded into the tuner so I double checked with Chris first. I then installed his 91 Performance tune and took it for a spin. I was blown away at the difference in performance. The lag on the gas pedal is gone and the acceleration is much better. The difference was night and day. I then installed the 91 Race tune. The difference was not as dramatic as the change from stock to the performance tune, but again, much improvement. My testing was short so I will see later during my commute more changes I'm sure. From a few runs around the neighborhood, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

While I was at it, I installed a CHE extreme duty adjustable panhard bar and brace. I used their instructions, coupled with TacoBill's posts, and it went very smooth. I matched the length of the stock panhard and visually it looks like I may not have to do any adjusting. I will measure it later with the plumb method. The last thing I am waiting for is the right sway bar mounts and then they go on. Then I am done (yeah, right). Actually, I think I am going to pick up a set of adjustable UCA's so I can get the pinion angle perfect. Ok, and maybe a SHR billet gas door, and maybe some SHR interior parts, and maybe some more Steeda front suspension goodies, and maybe.......
Can you comment on the difference you feel (even if subtle) between the 91 Performance and 91 Race? This is the Street Race tune, not Track, right?

Old 11/26/08, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ILikeBond
Can you comment on the difference you feel (even if subtle) between the 91 Performance and 91 Race? This is the Street Race tune, not Track, right?

I only drove the 91 performance tune briefly around the neighborhood and down on some straightaways. The difference between the 91 performance and the stock tune was immense. The lag was gone, the shifts crisper, and the engine pulled much stronger. Then I went home and put on the 91 race tune, not the track tune. One of the most significant things I noticed was how quickly the power comes on at initial acceleration. In fact, I have to keep a light foot on the pedal when taking off or I can break loose the tires very easily. I am in the habit of automatically turning off the traction control system every time I get in the car, but now I leave it on when the roads are wet since the back end can kick loose. At WOT, the race tune really pulls but in the mid-range area, I don't have to give it nearly the gas to keep pulling too. It is like having a whole new engine. To be honest, I was hesitant about the whole aftermarket tune thing. However, so far I am really enjoying it and the installation was a piece of cake.

Somewhere in the forums somebody asked if they would lose gas mileage with a performance tune. One response said that as performance increases, the need to lay on the gas decreases. I second this comment as I have found so far that I am far less on the gas that I was before since I need less gas to drive at the speeds I preferred prior to the tune. As for the LCA's, I have the J&M's and will leave them on for a while. I am definitely going to order the UCA's and will very likely go with the Steeda's but I am also looking hard at the CHE's as well. I've been impressed with the CHE panhard bar and brace and the LCA anti-squat brackets that I purchased. I want the adjustability of the UCA's so that I can dial in my pinion angle. So far I have no vibration and I haven't checked the angle yet without the UCA's to see if I am already within spec. When the rain stops, I will check the angle and see how I am. However, I will still put in the adjustable UCA's so that I can make changes as the car settles or if I change out the LCA's or any other part in the future. I am inclined to swap out the UCA mount as well.

Since Christmas is coming, I will pick up the UCA's, UCA mounts, an SHR billet fuel door, and the Steeda front sway bar mount brace for wrapping by the kids so I can act surprised during present unwrapping time.
Old 11/26/08, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the write-up! I PM'd you...
Old 11/27/08, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ILikeBond
Thanks for the write-up! I PM'd you...
Got it