GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

General Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/07, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Suspension Question

Hi everyone. I'm a relatively new Mustang owner with the obligatory CAI/Tune. My Stang's a daily driver and errand runner. I also like to tear it up a bit on twisties, highway on-ramps, and tight corners. The only time it will see the track is from the parking lot. But I'd still like to tighten it up a bit (including NOT feeling like the car's gonna lose its @ss end when driving over bumps at 40+ mph) while not losing its DD qualities.

As I've read through this forum and a few others, there seem to be two schools of thought regarding suspension upgrades: 1) Get a set-up that's designed to work together (i.e. FRPP/Steeda/Roush suspension packages). 2) Take the best from different manufacturers (i.e. BMR this, Steeda that, Spohn the-other-thing, etc).

I know there's no consensus, but I'm looking for recommendations for my suburban warrior purposes. Also, if LCAs are so important, why aren't they offered in a lot of the basic suspension upgrade packages? Thanks.
Old 4/15/07, 07:59 PM
Cobra Member

I'll speak up first.

If you are not going to lower the decision process is a lot easier.

Tokio Spec D's, a front and rear swaybar up grade and some better rubber on the wheels (BFG KD's or KDW's ... there quite a few others ... pick your brand).

As far as getting the rear axle to keep from jumping when it hits a hign speed bump, don't get your hopes up too high. Its a live axle, its a lot of unspring weight to control over shock bumps.

If you are wanting to lower, then it gets more complicated. Galaxies post is the best detailed compilation I have seen, short of a couple others less detailed but promoting the same do it right theme, as opposed to gee that is good enough.

You need a realistic view of what you can afford vs what you want. So with that in mind read Galaxies post on the subject and look for a few of mine that were posted on the subject as well.

As far as the UCA and LCA's go, its probably because no one has put together a total package. Not as many buyers in that price bracket. A lot of drivers are not willing to put up with the harshness either. UCA and LCA (and pinion) alignment is important when you lower. So adjustable ones may be mandatory to get pinion angle right.
Old 4/15/07, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've got the FRPP handling pak and have had my car for a little ver a week now. The ride can be rough over bumps, but the roads around here are pretty good, and a good deal of my driving is highway as well, so I don't mind the everyday ride so much.

There is a nearly empty (not yet fully developed) office park very close to my house that I have discovered and which is great or zipping around in. I only drove my car once, for about 10 mile sor so and mostly on the highway, before the FRPP FR3 was installed, so i do not have a huge baseline to compare the handling to, but I love the way the car handles!

I'm sure that you would get a similar ride from other kits with comparable systems.

I recommend the FRPP if you don't have to endure bad roads. I went to school up in PA and Ohio and I would not want to have to drive this car up there on those roads as a daily driver though so I guess it depends upon what your needs and desires are.

The FRPP FR# also cost me ~$1800 installed, so that is another consideration as well.
Old 4/15/07, 10:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For mainstream performance driving the FRPP pack is pretty all-inclusive. The only handling quirk this car seems to have is with its front rake, if you are driving around a curve with the suspension loaded(being aggressive, but not even at the limits), if you have to brake the rear end seems to get out of line easily. On a track this isn't an issue as its a prepared course, but in the real world there are animals, bicyclists, and other drivers that can come out of nowhere. I think slightly lowering the CG makes a huge deal in those situations, with the slightly lower CG on top of the stiffer swaybars and spring rates. And going the 'complete' route gets you struts/shocks that are valved properly for the lowered springs.

I have thrown the Steeda catalog at a couple GT's over the years and adjustable-everything is a PITA on a street car and its just too hard-core. The S-197 is so much better considering its balance, stronger unibody and longer wheelbase(not to mention 100 other lousy things about the SN-95 chassis). I'm simplifying it this time around. The FRPP pack seems to have the best overall bang for the buck and balanced results for a street car.
Old 4/16/07, 01:02 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The reason I went with a this and a that name brand was because I use bargin shopping. I didn't get cheap parts, I just got good parts cheap

D-spec shocks $425 when Dream Car Shop went belly up and the same with the Tein H springs for $65.
Lakewood Adj. UCA $65 out of its orginal box.
Adj. LCA and BMR Adj Panhard bar from Stang suspension for a Holiday rate of 5% off with free shipping.
GMS Front and Rear Sway bars for $365 on line
Also my back window Louvers from Amazon.com for $230 and free shipping.
So I'm a bargin hunter who hates to pay full price for things. But my 07 Black GT/CS is tight and corners like its on rails
Old 4/16/07, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the replies and good info. I've got plenty of time before committing the cash...just so many choices out there. Selecting a suspension set-up makes picking a CAI/Tune or a supercharger seem easy.
Old 4/16/07, 08:41 PM
Former Vendor

I have to say that for the ultimate STREET setup with no intentions of racing would be the Steeda Proaction non-adjustable shocks, ultralite or sport springs... (ultralite for stock comfort, sport for close to stock and great handling).... a good set of front and rear sways, and the panhard brace. Done for like 1000-1100 bucks shipped to the door. Just my 2 cents.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 4/17/07, 04:51 AM
V6 Member

Hi Mike

I had the same concerns as you, my mustang is a semi daily driver and I put 4K on it before going for an FRPP pack and now have 1k after, so I have a bit of a base line.

My main goal was to tighten the car up for going around the twisties and lower it to make it look like a sport cars not a 4x4

If you have not done this already I would go for 19 / 20 inch rims and smaller side walls this makes a huge difference, if you have done this already then go for a suspension pack

In terms of the FRPP pack, it is slightly bumpy over roads but not that bad. If you go fast the suspension starts working and the bumps are less noticable The improvement in cornering, stance everything is fantastic. My only complaint now is the seats don't have good enough lateral support to keep you in for the twisties.

Going down the fully adjustable route is great for bragging rights but the set up can be a PITA. . For the simple fit, go and carve the FRPP pack for me is the one. If I had to do it one hundred times over I would do the same thing again as
1. The car carves now and that is something for a car as porky as the 06 ( read chasing Subaru WRX around upstate NY )
2. The rear wheel hop has gone down dramatically
3. Appearance is spot on with it lowered

Things this will do to you
1. Make you realise you need a brake upgrade
2. Need new seats as the lateral support sucks

Downsides
1. The suspension is a more bumpy, but it's stiffer and that's the deal for road holding
2. I am $1800 lighter.

In terms of LCA, the ford motor sport garage that fitted it said that the steeda items really rounded out the package, it might do for sum, but I am happy with what I have and now need brakes and a supercharger ( Brmm Brmmmm)

If you want to talk on the phone or anything PM me and I will call, if you are near NY happy to take you for a ride.

Hope this helps
Old 4/17/07, 07:23 PM

Thanks Cati. It was your posts a few weeks ago that got me thinking about a "package" set-up to begin with. Made a lot of sense for a non-aficionado like myself. Didn't see much from you on the board since you had them installed, glad the set-up's working well for you.
Old 4/18/07, 04:29 PM
GT Member

The Vogtland/Saleen kit is a great value. It comes with the Racecraft non-adjustable shocks and struts, a 34mm front sway bar, and a set of Vogtland springs that lower your GT approximately 1.6 inches or 40mm.

Quantity limited.

https://www.newedgeperformance.com/i...ROD&ProdID=437

Tony D
Old 4/19/07, 02:16 PM
V6 Member

Glad it tempted you, I go on the board when work allows.

I have no regrets about doing it at all. I was into sports bikes back home in england and used to love playing with the suspension so fully adjustable was great for me. But on a car that i want to get in, drive and carve fiddling around to try and get the perfect set up seemed a little too much.

If the mustang was a bit more advanced with independent rear end and little less weight I would be tempted, but it isn't and there's only so many things the old girl can do. With this kit the old girl does a lot more and better than she really has any right to do and I am really impressed

If you want to speak to someone else, call Bryan at Downs Ford in NJ and he can tell you the feedback of other customers. They are straight shooters and I can't recommend this set up enough...go for it before summers over