Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, sounds plausible, I avoid gasoline with ethanol like the plague though
Old 9/3/07, 08:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
Hmm, sounds plausible, I avoid gasoline with ethanol like the plague though
I believe MN has mandated E20 at every gas station, while I recall MI mandated E10 at every gas station, up to E15. Quite a few states have started doing the same for E10 and many of the gas stations in my area now have E85. Good luck trying to avoid ethanol because it's likely you're already using it.
Old 9/3/07, 08:33 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
I believe MN has mandated E20 at every gas station, while I recall MI mandated E10 at every gas station, up to E15. Quite a few states have started doing the same for E10 and many of the gas stations in my area now have E85. Good luck trying to avoid ethanol because it's likely you're already using it.
In CA the mandate is not in effect yet.
The bill has been signed though.
Old 9/3/07, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Surprising that Cali let another state one up them like that lol.

yeah right now there are still a few stations that dont run ethanol in their gasoline. I suppose the argument being their detergents are more then sufficient, Ima be PO when that goes into affect.

Need to find a new place to live
Old 9/3/07, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

So what gas companies would you recomend? I noticed somthing about shell being a no no....I use shell quite a bit but if its not the best than I dont want it..
Old 9/3/07, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shell is excellent gas...possibly some of the best available. I don't know who said Shell is not good. Maybe that is from years ago, but currently it is very good. Anything top tier is excellent too.
Old 9/4/07, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I dont like shell because they use ethanol. Im not 100% convinced about their quality either.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, chevrons good stuff, so is Mobil(at least here in cali) they dont use ethanol either. There has to be a reason Ford recomends BP, cant imagine why, no BP stations out here, BP owns Arco thats out here, which is cruddy gas imo
Old 9/4/07, 02:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The shell stations around here are quite old and run down. I use the cheapest grocery store gas that I can find.
Old 9/4/07, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

The shell stations around here are quite old and run down. I use the cheapest grocery store gas that I can find.
I will never understand why ppl do that, especially ppl that own a nice pricey car.

Is that 1.50 you are saving really worth all the gunk your engine can build up. Yes big companie gas prices can be a little higher, but they have superior detergents that help keep the engine clean.

If you drove a 88 ford fiesta Id get it, but you drive a mid to high 20k car
Old 9/4/07, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prior to every oil change, I put 8oz of Seafoam in the intake, and 8oz in the gas tank. No issues of any kind.
Old 9/4/07, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I will never understand why ppl do that, especially ppl that own a nice pricey car.

Is that 1.50 you are saving really worth all the gunk your engine can build up. Yes big companie gas prices can be a little higher, but they have superior detergents that help keep the engine clean.

If you drove a 88 ford fiesta Id get it, but you drive a mid to high 20k car
It hasn't pinged yet when I hit the limiter in 90F-100F ambient with the A/C on in the afternoon, so I think it's pretty good gas. I've tried namebrand stations before and haven't gotten such consistent results. I'm sticking with the grocery store gas (Meijer). Did I mention I use 87 octane? The compression ratio on our 4.6L SOHC 3V V8s is a bit high for 87 octane, but it seems Ford was able to tune it to run reliably on 87 which I cannot say the same for other cars like the 350Z, G37, Audi TT, Mazda RX-8, etc...

I can also get 19-20 mpg in mixed city/highway driving with the grocery store gas. Decent gas mileage and no pinging = good gas.
Old 9/4/07, 07:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
It hasn't pinged yet when I hit the limiter in 90F-100F ambient with the A/C on in the afternoon, so I think it's pretty good gas. I've tried namebrand stations before and haven't gotten such consistent results. I'm sticking with the grocery store gas (Meijer). Did I mention I use 87 octane? The compression ratio on our 4.6L SOHC 3V V8s is a bit high for 87 octane, but it seems Ford was able to tune it to run reliably on 87 which I cannot say the same for other cars like the 350Z, G37, Audi TT, Mazda RX-8, etc...

I can also get 19-20 mpg in mixed city/highway driving with the grocery store gas. Decent gas mileage and no pinging = good gas.
I do understand not buying from Shell if all the stations in your area look crappy.
But...
It will be interesting to see how long your fuel filter lasts.
Old 9/4/07, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

You would only ping if you used improper octane, and the gas would burn similarly to any other gas and so your gas mileage wouldnt be much affected, at least not enough to notice, but the detergents prevent build of of junk on your valves etc.

In my auto tech class we decided to do our own experiment(since this argument seems to come up all the time and the class was willing to pay for it) using diffrent gas in two similar vehicles. two of us had mid 80s Celica GTS, I had an 86 one of my class mates had a 88 I think it was, both autos.

We pulled the heads off cleaned them up did a valve job, got them back together. I used to use the cheapest gas I could find, the other guy used only chevron. couple weeks before the end of this course(9 months) we pulled the heads off our cars. He had about 3k more miles on his head then I did, his valves had alot less build up then mine did.

Since then I never used anything accept chevron unless I was in a pinsh
Old 9/5/07, 02:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

There aren't any Chevron stations here. All gasolines are required to have detergents.

I've been using the grocery store gas in my other car for the past 2 year and the fuel filter was changed without affecting gas mileage at all (the new filter didn't improve gas mileage and the old filter wasn't clogged).

My Stang isn't an expensive foreign car and I have a 5 year powertrain warranty so it uses the cheapest gas I find.
Old 9/5/07, 09:26 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Funny how ford recomends BP and its not on that list
I was about to say the same thing, I also noticed at the BP station I used the frequent that thier gas was an ethanol blend.
Old 9/5/07, 09:30 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

+1 my automotive tech teacher biggest pet peeve was oil additives

Most are little more than snake oil it seems, Toyota (and I guess more manufacturers) will deny a warranty clain if you've used Slick 50, the teflon does not stay in suspension and enventually clogs the oil system.
Old 9/7/07, 06:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
I was about to say the same thing, I also noticed at the BP station I used the frequent that thier gas was an ethanol blend.
Makes you wonder just how much Ford got from BP to put their logos on every gas cap...Personally I use Shell and Chevron
Old 9/23/07, 06:03 PM

seafoam! no#1