GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FUNNY how no one's talking about 430rwhp @ 4psi

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/05, 12:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ZwerRacing@May 30, 2005, 5:03 PM
Ok you want to here the science behind my math. Well here goes nothing. One of the SI units for pressure is atm that stands for atmosphere. Standard conditions is 1 atm or 760 mm Hg (mercury) or 760 torr or most importantly for this conversation 14.7 psi. So every day on average 14.7 psi of air is getting naturally pushed into your motor. When you supercharge or turbo your motor you are pushing more air through your motor. Once you reach 14.7 psi of boost on a 100% efficient system you will effectively double your output. So by knowing this we can start out math. If you are running 4 psi of boost the total amount of air going through your motor is 18.7 psi. Now we set up a ratio of proportions. We know that they have 18.7 psi of air and are claiming to make 430 hp. We also know that a NA motor is pushing 14.7 psi of air so we come up with the simple math below. Giving us a 338 hp motor NA. This is if the system is 100 % efficient, which I doubt it is. Now I will state it again that even with their mods I doubt the motor made 338 hp NA. The people at BBR did it but they had ported heads, charge motion control plates, and intake, and some exhaust components. Now are you still questioning my math?!?!
[attachmentid=22778]
PS all the numbers I used were rear wheel HP. Also if it was 5 psi the motor would still need to make 324 hp to the rear wheels.

Oh not questioning the math. I can see you made it to the 5th grade.

I was just expecting a little more complex working equation. I dunno maybe some Darcy flow equations, PVT, IMEP...

But what do I know...
Old 5/31/05, 12:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MrMorden@May 30, 2005, 7:43 PM
Nobody said the 430hp was at the wheels. I assume that was at the crank.
The article states that is indeed 430HP at the tires with their additions to the Saleen kit.

If the PCM can be flash tuned instead of pulling it out and sending it to Saleen I would be all over this once I save up enough money for it. Does this kit do away with the Charge Motion Plates or can we still opt to delete them?

Edit: The guys who did the advertised dyno pull we are all discussing will provide the "street tune" for the SCT no problem, no word for us Diablo owners though but Im sure they would provide for it. GO JDM!

-Dan
Old 5/31/05, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Guys, the double the pressure double the hp rule is a generality. It is by no means exact science. There is no "MATH" that can accurately predict the hp gains of an engine. The screw type impellers are more efficient than a centrifical unit. It is quite possible to get more HP than the % of atmospheric pressure boost.

One thing that the saleen does by mounting the SC upside down is increase the runner length into the heads. This alone will bump up the hp a little, especially at lower rpm levels. Also, the more efficient your air cooler is, the more hp you can make. ( Try a dyno pull at 80 degrees and one at 65 degrees ) I like the fact that the saleen cooler is very close to the intake. The farther away the air is from the cooler, the more chance it has to heat back up before it is consumed.

I think that the Saleen unit is an excellent design. It showes a little "outside the box thinking". I only hope that it's build quality is as good as it's design. I think that it's design is the one that is most likely to keep the stock internal parts of the engine internal.....

I guess time will tell.....
Old 6/2/05, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by sranger@May 31, 2005, 8:24 AM
I think that it's design is the one that is most likely to keep the stock internal parts of the engine internal.....
Nicely put.
Old 6/2/05, 03:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

I like the saleen blower for many of the reasons stated above....it's packaging does not require that I alter much of the stock car. Also, it makes the most of a moderate amount of boost. I will be looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of 400rwhp, but 380 would be ok too. Since my car will be mostly street and daily driven, any more than that (and many would argue that 400 is overkill) is kind of wasted on a steet car. The car is so good to begin with, it only needs moderate improvements. But, too much is never enough for some.