GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Fuel Filter fitment problem!

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/08, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter fitment problem!

Hello,

Any one can help. I have ordered Fuel Filter for Mustang GT - 2005 - 4.6ltr according catalogue fitment. I went to the garage to install it and … and they could not do that after a wile they found out that the diameter of hoses on that original are bigger when the new one is smaller so the clamps could not close on it.
Double check in parts dealer and they answer was you have right one with inlet and outlet 5/16 diameter. I said that is bull**** as I have got here 3/8 diameter inlet and outlet original filter. The general size of a filter like length and size is the same.

That’s big problem for me as I am in Europe. Do you know what filter I should look for now? Can you give me the aftermarket brand and part number of a fuel filter for my car with 3/8 diameter inlet and outlet as official part catalogues propose me wrong one.?

Anyone had the same problem? It looks that during production Ford had no dedicated filters so they put something else from other ford car but from which one???

Regards
Lukas
Old 2/29/08, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Ford fuel filter right here. I ordered two of them and already installed one, so I know it is the correct part.

The part number is FG-1083 (2C5Z-9155-BC).

The OUTSIDE diameter of line is right at 3/8". The INSIDE diameter is right at 5/16. Normally, hose is listed as INSIDE diameter, so it probably would be called 5/16", even though your ruler on the outside would say 3/8".

I would say that they sent you the wrong filter, but the whole 5/16" vs. 3/8" thing is just the difference between ID and OD.
Old 2/29/08, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Now I am a bit confused and also mainly by this information in Car-Stuff.com:

I am sure they gave me the first one on that picture and they states that according catalogueit is right one when I should have the second one. Look description the 3/8” is dedicated to 4.0 engine Mustangs only not 4.6 GT.
So I was sure that first one is like Motorcraft FG1083 and I should look for FG1011 or take the second item HASTINGS GF354. But I believe you if you says that Motor craft FG1083 is 3/8 outside diameter I will go for it probably on ebay.
Old 2/29/08, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

It looks like they have the description screwed up. But it doesn't matter. If you keep scrolling down, you will see the Motorcraft filter listed. This is the OEM filter and the one I ordered, so I know it will fit the GT.

At least, it will fit MY GT!
Old 3/1/08, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks a lot I am going to buy Motocraft ones i just found internet shop offer for 11,84$ I think thats a good price.
Old 3/2/08, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it hard to install, and where? Anybody have a PDF on this?
I have got 25k on my car , I think I will do it at 30...does this sound about right?
Old 3/2/08, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by seabiscuit
Now I am a bit confused and also mainly by this information in Car-Stuff.com:

I am sure they gave me the first one on that picture and they states that according catalogueit is right one when I should have the second one. Look description the 3/8” is dedicated to 4.0 engine Mustangs only not 4.6 GT.
So I was sure that first one is like Motorcraft FG1083 and I should look for FG1011 or take the second item HASTINGS GF354. But I believe you if you says that Motor craft FG1083 is 3/8 outside diameter I will go for it probably on ebay.
That 1st one also says VIN "X" I'm willing to bet your 8th digit is an H.

RRRoamer has the correct part # listed.

Yes, it's time to change it dave, it's pretty easy. I did not see a tacobill how to for it here, lol.
Old 3/3/08, 05:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The FG-986B motorcraft filter sounds like the one he bought and tried to install. It is physically the same size but the fittings are smaller (this was OEM for 96-04 Mustangs, Crown Vics, E-series, etc...) the FG-1083 is what you need for a 05-up Mustang GT and it has larger fittings.
Old 3/3/08, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

The biggest pain in the butt on installation is getting the plastic cover out of the way. It has a few bolts attaching it and a couple of those irritating plastic push pins. And they are not the "good" ones that have the removable center pin to make reuse easy either.

once you have the cover out of the way, the next issue will be getting the lines off the filter. The rear line came off fairly easy for me. But the front line just didn't have enough flex to it (these are hard lines after all), so I ended up loosening up the filter mount and then sliding the filter back instead of pulling the front line forward. That worked.

Reinstallation was simple. Just slide the filter into the mount until the front line was securely attached, bolt down the mount, then attach the rear line.

One note, you DO have to have that little plastic tool that snaps onto the fuel filter nipple and then gets pushed between the nipple and the fuel line connector. That releases the lock on the line. They are cheap, so no reason not to buy a set when you get your filter.
Old 3/3/08, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Not to hijack the thread but.... When (what mileage) does the Ford manual recommend changing out the fuel filter?
Old 3/5/08, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Not to hijack the thread but.... When (what mileage) does the Ford manual recommend changing out the fuel filter?
If my memory is working (yeah about that...), Ford recommends every 30k miles. It is in the scheduled maintenance sheet that came with your car.