GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRP's Supercharger Choice

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/06, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ February 13, 2006, 9:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wonder if the Ford kit will be intercooled?
[/b][/quote]

I'd imagine it would Pete. The Whipple site lists both intercooled and non-intercooled (for manual and AUTO applications) for their upcoming S197 superchargers, FRP will be selling pretty much the same product so it's only logical. Now as for price concerning positive displacement SC systems, the advantage is gonna go to the FRP/Whipple. I just talked to DaSilva Racing (again) and their Roush ($8900) + install ($1500) is $10,400 (that's in Cdn $$ for you guys south of the border). Even so.....YIKES!!! A bit out of range.

So in the interim, for me anyways, I'll be putting in a set of 3:73 gears in the coming weeks. I was going to go with 4:10's but with a supercharger, the higher (numerically) gears wouldn't be practical - or necessary I believe.

Talk to ya - Mark
Old 2/13/06, 10:18 AM
Cam Tease

Yeah like has been said, they all have their pros and cons......except for the roots Roush...it only has cons. I seriously see no reason why anyone would choose it.

Oh yeah, I guess it does let you keep your warranty.

Who needs a warranty! (jk)
Old 2/13/06, 10:27 AM
V6 Member

What is missing from the Saleen kit? I see stuff on here that the kit is not complete. Does it need a pump booster or bigger injectors or something...or does it just need more stuff to make it run at 10psi and 500 HP to satisfy the HP junkies around here? Will the stock kit work without other parts? I'm only thinking about a 400HP car...not something too crazy. Anyone know?

Tilt
Old 2/13/06, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Original Sin @ February 13, 2006, 11:17 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'd imagine it would Pete. The Whipple site lists both intercooled and non-intercooled (for manual and AUTO applications) for their upcoming S197 superchargers, FRP will be selling pretty much the same product so it's only logical. [/b][/quote]

Oh no! Logical imaginings...lol.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

I have been following this kit since I ordered my Mustang in November of '04. I mad all the same logical "jumps" that you are making Mark. can't say the people at Whipple follow our "Logic".

1) This kit was originally supposed to be release in Feb of '05. Then they lost the contract with Lysholm.
2) Then they moved it back to June....July....August.
3) I think they finally smartened up and got sick of the forum rumblings and reslated the release for Feb '06. (At least that was what was posted on their website 2 weeks ago)
4) Brad (the guy that owns this site) said he would try to find out more after he saw the FRPP/Whipple featured on the drag car at SEMA. He asked about the Super Performance Pack and was told "sometime in Spring."
5) NOW they have moved the release date back to April. But, like you said earlier, they have it published in the FRPP catalog and I have spoken to two dealers that tell me they expect them any day.

So......
The question about intercoolers.
Logically, you are right. Although their website is a tad confusing about which one is intercooled, or is it an option on the 8# kit. I have asked Whipple and the local dealers and neither one has an answer.
Is the FRPP kit intercooled? Dunno.
Is the 8 psi kit intercooled? Maybe, maybe not.
Is the 10psi kit intercooled? I sure hope so.
Is Whipple horrible at managing their product publicity? A resounding yes.
Is it a product that is worth waiting for? More than likely.

I hope the 8# kit is available intercooled. If not I will buy the HO kit and change it to a 8# pulley. Hopefully FRPP will offer all the Whipple options because it will most likely be less expensive.

Now, if I can only find a local performance oriented dealer that won't void my warranty. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Why did I ever move away from Mike Raisor Ford....lol. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tilt @ February 13, 2006, 11:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What is missing from the Saleen kit? I see stuff on here that the kit is not complete. Does it need a pump booster or bigger injectors or something...or does it just need more stuff to make it run at 10psi and 500 HP to satisfy the HP junkies around here? Will the stock kit work without other parts? I'm only thinking about a 400HP car...not something too crazy. Anyone know?

Tilt
[/b][/quote]

Nothing is "missing" from the Saleen kit. It is intended as a bolt-on unit. However, JDM and others are upgrading the kits w/ bigger injectors, fuel pumps, and tunes to go after the big numbers. The "stock" Saleen kit will put out about 375-390 RWHP on a Dynojet. With upgraded components people are putting down anywhere from 400-450 RWHP. Remember the S/C unit is the same on both the S281SC (435 hp) and the S281E (550 hp) but the rest of the engine is modified.
Old 2/13/06, 01:45 PM
GT Member

[quote I just talked to DaSilva Racing (again) and their Roush ($8900) + install ($1500) is $10,400 (that's in Cdn $$ for you guys south of the border). Even so.....YIKES!!! A bit out of range.

FYI I paid 7300. Cdn and installed myself
The kit was complete
It looks OEM
The tune from Roush was perfect.
The install was very easy and instructions were great
And I never had a s/c before and man I love the sound of the s/c under load.
Here is the actual install
http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25020
And it runs perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no complaints so far
Old 2/13/06, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not up on the current exchange rate, but I recall it being in the 1.15 range... so is $7300CDN about equal to $6300USD?
Old 2/13/06, 02:06 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 13, 2006, 1:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm not up on the current exchange rate, but I recall it being in the 1.15 range... so is $7300CDN about equal to $6300USD?
[/b][/quote]
about 6200.00 us That includes duty and freight to get it here in western canada

I've seen them for around 5690.00 us Now don't forget you do not need to buy nothing else with the kit.
Old 2/13/06, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wsmatau @ February 13, 2006, 11:53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
1) This kit was originally supposed to be release in Feb of '05. Then they lost the contract with Lysholm.
2) Then they moved it back to June....July....August.
3) I think they finally smartened up and got sick of the forum rumblings and reslated the release for Feb '06. (At least that was what was posted on their website 2 weeks ago)
4) Brad (the guy that owns this site) said he would try to find out more after he saw the FRPP/Whipple featured on the drag car at SEMA. He asked about the Super Performance Pack and was told "sometime in Spring."
5) NOW they have moved the release date back to April. But, like you said earlier, they have it published in the FRPP catalog and I have spoken to two dealers that tell me they expect them any day.
[/b][/quote]

let's hope Ford Racing is using the time to test-mule the heck out of it so that it is truly a DIY kit that works right.