GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP/Stingers vs. Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/06, 08:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FRPP/Stingers vs. Flowmaster

I have a set of Flowmaster A/Ts and I love them... Aggressive tone with a low throaty rumble. A CAI really wakes them up. I have conducted extensive research on this topic several months ago and decided to go with the Flows. FRPP was my first choice, however, the dreaded "drone" spooked me and IMO, I have minimal drone with the Flows. Now, like everything else, I want something louder. I no longer fear drone, actually I desire it...lol.

It seems that many here on this forum have also started with Flows and are now running with FRPP. Those of you who have, can you please articulate your reasons for the change, and evaluate the differences? Exactly how much louder are they? Do they have a lower, or higher, pitch tone? And yes, "drone", how much more than the Flows? Anything else?

Also, I remembered pricing FRPP/Stingers(M-5230-5GT) back in August. The cheapest was: http://www.johnbleakleyford.com/parts.asp, who was offering them for $335.00. Now I see that they're going for $395.00. Does anyone know if they're less somewhere else, and whether anyone has purchased them through Kevin(KC)/Clevparts? KC usually has the best deals . Thanks
Old 12/31/06, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never had the flows, but i know you wont be dissapointed with the stingers. When i first got my stingers, the drone was bad, but after about a week it started to go down. Im now in the same situation as you. I got the stingers thinking they were loud enough, but now after about 10 months i want them louder. Im putting a bassani x pipe on, so hopefully that will wake them up.
Old 12/31/06, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
I never had the flows, but i know you wont be dissapointed with the stingers. When i first got my stingers, the drone was bad, but after about a week it started to go down. Im now in the same situation as you. I got the stingers thinking they were loud enough, but now after about 10 months i want them louder. Im putting a bassani x pipe on, so hopefully that will wake them up.
Why not FRPP X pipe?
Old 12/31/06, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I never had the Flow A/T's, but my buddy Leo_06GT has them. I heard them in person (before he installed his O/R H). If you think the A/T's have an "aggressive tone with a low throaty rumble", the Stingers will be x2.

I have a few 'Stinger Test Run' vids in my Bucket Album that I shot before I installed the O/R H-pipe. And, one exhaust comparision vid I put up on YouTube.

I got my Stingers from Downs Ford for $369 plus shipping ($32 to SoCal).
Old 12/31/06, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Why not FRPP X pipe?
The FRPP X pipe uses the factory cats. Theres almost no sound or performance difference between the FRPP X and factory h-pipe.
Old 12/31/06, 09:27 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Other opinions:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=13
Old 12/31/06, 09:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had the Magnaflow's A/B's (not paks) before I put the FRPP Stingers on. A friend in my club has Flowmasters (don't know exactly what ones).

Personally I wouldn't trade the Stingers for anything. Driving with the windows down, still brings a smile to my face.

Having said that...............if you don't think you can tolerate the drone.....you don't want em.
Old 12/31/06, 09:38 AM

Why not FRPP X pipe?
Gary (GPStang06) did a nice write-up on his FRPP X install w/video. link
Old 12/31/06, 10:24 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The flows were my first exhaust. I liked the tone but they were way too quiet for me so they were off after a couple of weeks. Then I put on slp and now the stingers. The stingers are what an exhaust on this mustang should sound like. They are probably almost twice as loud as the flows ( i'm not exactly sure because I had the flows almost 2 years ago but I remember them being really quiet). Make the switch you will absolutely love the stingers. I never even noticed drone until I started hearing people talking about it, it's not even bad.
Old 12/31/06, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks guys. I probably should have went with my original "gut" ... TacoBill advised that I get these months ago. Oh well, live and learn. I wish that I knew someone locally that I could actually hear them in person .
Old 12/31/06, 02:54 PM

Thanks guys. I probably should have went with my original "gut" ... TacoBill advised that I get these months ago. Oh well, live and learn. I wish that I knew someone locally that I could actually hear them in person .
That's true, I did mention to you that if there's a possibility that you may not be able to live with the drone, get the Flows.
But now, it sounds like you're ready to kick it up a notch. Be aware though, you will have drone around 1700 rpm's or so, and it is pretty loud.

A few of us knew about the drone ahead of time, but knew what exhaust we wanted. So, we went straight to the Stingers.

You're going about it the right (but more expensive) way by trying the more mellow exhaust first and now deciding for a louder one.
Old 12/31/06, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Stingers all the way!

Im gunna throw on an o/r X and if I dont like the way it sounds Im going to weld in some HiFlo Cats.
Old 12/31/06, 03:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
That's true, I did mention to you that if there's a possibility that you may not be able to live with the drone, get the Flows.
But now, it sounds like you're ready to kick it up a notch. Be aware though, you will have drone around 1700 rpm's or so, and it is pretty loud.

A few of us knew about the drone ahead of time, but knew what exhaust we wanted. So, we went straight to the Stingers.

You're going about it the right (but more expensive) way by trying the more mellow exhaust first and now deciding for a louder one.
LOL...No brother, you advised me to go Stingers... You even PM'ed a sound clip... It's my fault, I should've listen . Don't get me wrong, as mentioned, I do like the Flows. I'm just pursuing something louder without modifying, or removing, the cats. I've heard that an X pipe doesn't necessarily mean louder, and changes the exhaust tone to a higher pitch, which I definitely don't want. I've read that short headers are useless. Long headers...well, the cat issue again. So, I'm back to Stingers. Ehhhh, I thought that I had this dilemma resolved months ago...lol
Old 12/31/06, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

dude i say go Coffins i have the set up and dang they are sweet, just need my o/r H-pipe and i think i am done till i got enough cash for LT's
Old 12/31/06, 08:48 PM

LOL...No brother, you advised me to go Stingers... You even PM'ed a sound clip... It's my fault, I should've listen .
I did??

I mean, "I did!". See what happens when you don't take my advice?

Now, go order the Stingers and be done with it.
Old 12/31/06, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

the drone got better after i put in the jlt 2 cai. it is still there, but it is slightly softer. i think you will be happy with the stingers.
Old 1/1/07, 01:39 AM
GT Member

Yeah i can't wait to hear what my stingers will sound like once i get my american racing longtube headers and highflow cats and x-pipe on!!!
Old 1/1/07, 08:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by one_mean_marine
Yeah i can't wait to hear what my stingers will sound like once i get my american racing longtube headers and highflow cats and x-pipe on!!!
The long tubes and the Stingers do and will sound b!tchin'.I heard one at the dealership the other day.The 06'GT had just been sold so I couldn't take it out for a test drive
Old 1/1/07, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I did??

I mean, "I did!". See what happens when you don't take my advice?

Now, go order the Stingers and be done with it.

OK, forgive the stupidity, but which FRPP mufflers are the Stingers? Is there much difference between the Stingers and the GTA mufflers besides a 3.5 and 4 inch exhaust tip? Why are the 3.5 inch ones about $200 more than the GTAs? Ford's name?
Old 1/1/07, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cobra4548
OK, forgive the stupidity, but which FRPP mufflers are the Stingers? Is there much difference between the Stingers and the GTA mufflers besides a 3.5 and 4 inch exhaust tip? Why are the 3.5 inch ones about $200 more than the GTAs? Ford's name?
The stingers are the ones that look like cans. I believe the GTA a/b's sound more mellow.

Quick Reply: FRPP/Stingers vs. Flowmaster