GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Dyno #s?

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/06, 09:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Dyno #s?

So I am considering purchasing an '05/'06 Stang and of course I am taking into consideration the smorgasbord of after market parts. They all seem to be pretty comparable in dyno results, but I haven't seen dyno results for FRPP shorty headers or their intake and ECU reflash. Are they comparable to other companies like C&L or SLP? I'm not trying to nit pick or say which company is better than another, I'm just curious.

Thanks a lot and I can't wait to get my 'Stang! Right now I have a Marauder. It's my daily driver and will remain to be so. The Stang will be my weekend warrior and fun car.

Old 9/16/06, 06:25 PM
GT Member

I have heard over and over again in a few forums that the FRPP headers are completely useless, except for making more noise. I'm sure they'll add a few horsepower, but why spend gobs of money on 3-8 horsepower?

FRPP makes quality stuff- the intake kit is one of the nicest looking kits out there, especially with the stainless air box. Most people buy their cold air kits along with a tuning tool- and they buy them together from a reputable company that can also provide custom mail-order tunes later, as they install more mods on the car. Ford certainly won't do that for you.

I cold air kit on these cars in a necessity, and it probably makes the biggest difference in power for the least amount of $$.

I just installed Steeda Under Drive Pulleys on my car, and that made a tremendous difference. If I had known, I would have done it a lot sooner.

Good luck. I'm an old fart, and I love my Mustang- It is so much nicer than the one I had in 85!
Old 9/16/06, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
A JLT II cai and SCT X2 tuner combo with tunes from Brenspeed got me around 25 horse at the wheels- that's hard to beat. Plus, the throttle response is awesome. IMO, that's the first thing to do once you get your car.
Old 9/16/06, 09:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
A JLT II cai and SCT X2 tuner combo with tunes from Brenspeed got me around 25 horse at the wheels- that's hard to beat. Plus, the throttle response is awesome. IMO, that's the first thing to do once you get your car.
No doubt. From what I've read here on this forum it seems that a good tune and CAI make a world of difference on these 3V 4.6s. I was assuming that with most parts offered by FRPP you are simply paying for the name. When I buy my Stang I want to modify it with parts that maximize its performance, not just increase my mod list. It would seem (for example) that a Bamachips tune and JLT CAI are going to do a lot more for the car than the FRPP kit. Like wise it would seem that SLP long tubes are going to yield higher RWHP numbers that FRPP shorties.

BTW, let me just say these new Mustangs rock! My daily driven Marauder was my first hands on experience with a Ford 4.6 and I love how response it is to basic bolt on mods. I am so pleased with the responsiveness that I want to purchase a Mustang as a second vehicle so I really see what a good N/A 4.6 is capable of in the right platform. Of course being a Marauder owner I am a little more knowledgeable with the 4V configuration, but this web site has been a great tool so far in educating me on these 3Vs. Thanks for the replies!
Old 9/16/06, 09:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Go with long tubes, SS works or SLP.......gives you mad HP
Old 9/17/06, 07:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Go with long tubes, SS works or SLP.......gives you mad HP
Thanks for tip! Like I said I am new to the Mustang world and I searched for a while before settling in on this forum. Every one here is full of automotive knowledge and very insightful. I must confess I used to own a Honda S2000 (brilliant all-around sports car, but responds almost nill to bolt on parts) and their web forum is no where near as helpful or appreciative of their members like the Ford forums I've been on. This is a really great web site and I can't wait to get my Mustang!