GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Frpp Cams

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/08, 03:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ren274u
comp cams site lists a stage1 and 2 for their new NSR cams

Really...can you please post a link. There was no choice at Brenspeed. And while I may be wrong....I thought the NSR cams were developed by Brenspeed and Comp cams. Meaning you are only going to buy them from Brenspeed. I need to see your link!!
Scott

If this is what you are refering to.... I don't understand about Stage 1 and Stage 2 but only a set for the 4.6 and another set for the 5.4 liter engine. I see where they say one set for max torque and the other for max hp. But is seems very wishy-washy in their description. It was not an option at Brenspeed's last Friday!!

http://www.compcams.com/information/...ID=-1893839201
Old 2/20/08, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Really...can you please post a link. There was no choice at Brenspeed. And while I may be wrong....I thought the NSR cams were developed by Brenspeed and Comp cams. Meaning you are only going to buy them from Brenspeed. I need to see your link!!
Scott

If this is what you are refering to.... I see nothing about Stage 1 and Stage 2 but only a set for the 4.6 and another set for the 5.4 liter engine. I see where they say one set for max torque and the other for max hp. But is seems very wishy-washy in their description.

http://www.compcams.com/information/...ID=-1893839201
need to call to verify! states 4.6 and 5.4, lists stage 1, stage 2 .....only two different parts no:.... a call to Brent can probable clear this up quickly!
Old 2/20/08, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really...can you please post a link.
LINK

COMP Cams® XFI™ NSR Cam Sets For Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3 Valve Engines
Two new camshaft sets, one for increased torque and the other for maximized top end hp, deliver up to 25 rear wheel horsepower without changing valve springs

Anyone who has faced the challenge of changing valve springs in today’s Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3 Valve engines knows the difficulty involved. Not only does the swap to aftermarket valve springs require the proper tools and mechanical skills, but also additional time and money. Previously, when installing a COMP Cams® 4.6L/5.4L Ford Modular 3 Valve Camshaft, the first generation Xtreme Energy™ profiles required the removal and replacement of 24 valve springs. Good news – there’s now another option with the innovation of the XFI™ NSR (No Springs Required) Cam Sets For Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3 Valve Engines.

The new COMP Cams® XFI™ NSR Cam Sets For Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3 Valve Engines are the first truly “drop-in installation” camshafts ever created for this popular application – striking the perfect balance of performance versus installation difficulty. An excellent alternative to the regular COMP Cams® Xtreme Energy™ Ford Modular Camshafts, these two new staged cam sets require no computer re-tuning; however testing has shown that mild tuning can result in power gains even greater than the normal 25 rear wheel horsepower. These camshafts are fully compatible with the factory variable cam timing (VCT) system and are designed to operate in the stock rpm range. Stage one is designed to increase engine torque and stage two maximizes top end horsepower. Best of all, for those hardcore enthusiasts looking to achieve maximum horsepower increases and are not intimidated by having to upgrade their valve springs, COMP Cams® still offers the full line-up of Xtreme Energy™ Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3 Valve Camshaft Sets that offer as much as 40 horsepower increases.

For more information about the COMP Cams® XFI™ NSR Cam Sets For Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3 Valve Engines or any other COMP Cams® product, call us at 1-800-999-0853, or visit us online at www.compcams.com.
I'd like to see some dyno graphs comparing the two... Or at least some hard tech info. The "no tuning required" bit also kind of puts me off. Is this like the "no tuning required" CAI setups that provide little if any gain? If the engine's VE is increased by any measurable amount, then the tuning of the engine should need to be updated to reflect that. I mean, HEADERS need a retune, since they increase the VE of the engine and pull it lean, but the cams don't?
Old 2/20/08, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
LINK

[size=2][b]

I'd like to see some dyno graphs comparing the two... Or at least some hard tech info. The "no tuning required" bit also kind of puts me off. Is this like the "no tuning required" CAI setups that provide little if any gain? If the engine's VE is increased by any measurable amount, then the tuning of the engine should need to be updated to reflect that. I mean, HEADERS need a retune, since they increase the VE of the engine and pull it lean, but the cams don't?

Hey Dave...for what is worth Brent told me that "NO Tune" was really required with these NSR cams but that it was always a good idea to have it done. But his first few pulls on my car after the cams were installed was very, very safe. I think it was like 308 / 305 and the airfuel was well within the proper limits. He tweaked and tweaked and only found like 7/6 more. Really not much!!
Scott
Old 3/10/08, 06:57 PM
GT Member

ok,anyword on these yet?
Old 3/11/08, 01:48 AM
GT Member

i found them.....739 bucks,no springs required. suttons site says they have them.
http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.a...ARTMENT_ID=253
Old 3/11/08, 05:17 AM
Bullitt Member

try and order some, they are not out yet
Old 3/11/08, 05:40 AM
GT Member

yep I ordered mine from there saturday night and got a call from them yesterday saying they accidentally put them on thier website. They are not available yet.
Old 3/11/08, 07:53 AM

Here are the specs on the FRPP 3V Cams!

Production cams Hot Rod Cams
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']IVO BTDC: 15 49[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']IVC ABDC 53 51[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Total Duration 248 280[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Lift 11mm (433) 12mm (472)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']EVO BBDC 80 97[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']EVC ATDC 19 19[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Total Duration 279 296[/FONT]
Old 3/11/08, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

man now I really wish I didnt buy the stage 3 Comp Cams last year. I got the cams, springs and retainers and havent even taken them out of the box. I could have just gotten the NSR version and would have had them installed by now. Anyone interested in the Comp Cams??? Let me know.. like I said.. I havent even taken them out of the box. Got them from Doug at Bamachips last April.
Old 3/11/08, 01:43 PM
GT Member

How much do you think it cost to install these NSR cams?
Old 3/11/08, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by surf808
How much do you think it cost to install these NSR cams?

Well I can tell you that if you buy the Comp NSR cams from Brenspeed they will install them for $280. They figure 4 hrs labor X $70/hr. Now if you don't buy the cams from them it might be different.
Old 3/11/08, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I can tell you that if you buy the Comp NSR cams from Brenspeed they will install them for $280. They figure 4 hrs labor X $70/hr. Now if you don't buy the cams from them it might be different.

Wow that's a good price....I was going to install my own; but just to buy the tools to do it yourself is going to cost more then that... I guess I will need to check around locally and see now.
Old 3/11/08, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Randy@Sutton
Here are the specs on the FRPP 3V Cams!

[/font]

Randy;

Do we have a time frame yet? would also love to get the specs and the expected HP gains on the heads you have on your site.
Old 3/11/08, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by STANG_IT
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E1mYzsxMbo4

I was thinking about these as well but I don't think FRPP cams exist. I checked their website and couldn't find them. This video makes my mouth water though.
ok guys this may be a stupid question if those are frpp cams would they void my warrantee?.......
Old 3/11/08, 05:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by polodinks
ok guys this may be a stupid question if those are frpp cams would they void my warrantee?.......

My bet is Yep...most aftermarket stuff even from Ford Racing will void your warranty.
Old 3/11/08, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

wow if thats true that is gay, i would love for my car to sound like that
Old 3/11/08, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

That is the trade-off you have to make if you want more power....
Old 3/11/08, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Change the cams if you want...do you really think anyone at a Ford dealership will measure the lift or duration?? Trust me I have seen my stock cams and the Comp Cams. They will never be able to tell they apart. Honesty is usually NOT the best policy!!
Scott
Old 3/11/08, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya but with my luck the day i have them put in, is the day somthing happens to my car and decide to take it to the dealer

Quick Reply: Frpp Cams