GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Borla Exhaust Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/06, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my FRPP Exhaust on for a litle over 3 weeks, I have always had a rattle that seems to come from the rear when I start off going slow under load. It only happens for a second and then goes away. I looked at the hangers and they look fine (not touching the frame) but my exhaust does seem a bit close to the rear fascia. Could that be causing it? I had a ford dealership put my exhaust on but I want to get this fixed, any ideas? How much room should there be between the Exhaust and the rear fascia? Chould I be able to push up on the muffler and have it touch the rear fascia at all?

Also I have the centering issue as well, they dont seem to be centered too well.

Ideas thoughts?
Old 4/11/06, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Welp...your best bet is to try and get under the car and gently hit(or should I say tap) parts of the exhaust with a rubber mallet to see if you can reproduce the rattle. Other than that I can't think of anything, all I can say is my FRPP Borla's are working/sounding great!!!

Good Luck.
Old 4/11/06, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I was able to find it, apparently the muffler moves enough when you push up on it to touch the steel of the rear fascia, I just dont know how to move the mufflers down enough so that they wont come close to touching. Is there an amount of space that should be between the rear fascia and the top of the muffler?
Old 4/11/06, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Somebody anybodt help???

I just drove it and its actually getting worse, now if im in 5th gear and 35 MPH and hit the gas, it rattles for at least 2 seconds and then mellows out again.
Old 4/11/06, 04:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dcranford @ April 11, 2006, 4:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Somebody anybodt help???

I just drove it and its actually getting worse, now if im in 5th gear and 35 MPH and hit the gas, it rattles for at least 2 seconds and then mellows out again.
[/b][/quote]

Thats your problem right there, your lugging the heck out of your engine by accelerating in 5th at 35 mph even with your 4.10s. What rpms are you at in 5th and 35 mph?
Old 4/11/06, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Well that is just something I tried to see if it happened under load in higher gears as well.

I first started noticing this in like first gear taking off, and maybe even second gear making a turn or something like that.

I just did the 5th gear 35MPH thing to see if it was load causing the problem, I think that was proven.

Now the issue is finding out if its something in the muffler itself making the noise or if I can somehow adjust the muffler/midpipe and get it to stop rattling.
Old 4/11/06, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dcranford @ April 11, 2006, 1:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How much room should there be between the Exhaust and the rear fascia?
Also I have the centering issue as well, they dont seem to be centered too well.

Ideas thoughts?
[/b][/quote]
First off a minimum of 1/2" should be maintained on all sides from the fascia cutouts.
As far as the centering problem try this;
Get your car up on a lift or on some ramps, enough to get under the car effectively.
Loosen the two bolts in the clamp near the H-Pipe (just to the rear of the H-Pipe)
Then check for exhaust tip alignment.
If it still doesn't align correctly, loosen the clamp at the end of the muffler.
Have a friend align the exhaust tip and then tighten the Muffler clamp (VERY TIGHT)
Then move to the H-Pipe clamp and retighten them.
Repeat process for other side as well.
This should fix your problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dcranford @ April 11, 2006, 5:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just did the 5th gear 35MPH thing to see if it was load causing the problem, I think that was proven.[/b][/quote]
WTH, don't ever do that again, that is ridiculous to be in 5th gear at that speed, I am surprised it didn't stall on you.
Old 4/12/06, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I took my drivers side exhaust completely off today and re-installed making sure to line itup and tighten exactly right. Guess what....no more rattles!!!

Woohoo

Thanks guys!